Showing 49 results

Archivistische beschrijving
Dorothy Cilipka fonds
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

48 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

21 Holland St. W.

This is now the Evans and Evans Law Offices.

Please contact the library (905-775-3328) if you have any more information on this photo.

Dorothy Cilipka

The Pines

This home is located on the corner of Church and Queen St. It is an early Gothic style house with gingerbreading on the eves. It was made of a rare pink brick, possibly created in Newmarket.
The house was built in 1850 by Mark Scanlon, a lawyer, and one of the original town fathers. He was born on the farm of his father, Mark, on the north half of lot 16, on the ninth concession, West Gwillimbury. He graduated with a B.A from Victoria College, Cobourg, which is now affiliated with Toronto University.
He is the father of Mr. A.E. Scanlon, who was also a lawyer in Bradford.
Professor Day also lived here as did the Misses Lane. It is now the home of Robert Evans, a lawyer.

Dorothy Cilipka

Catholic School

This building was built in about 1950 as catholic school, and has since been used as a nursery school and seniors centre.

Dorothy Cilipka

Old Town Hall

This building was built around 1862. It was close to John Edmanson's Hotel which was a very important (and sometimes only) public building in town. Town Hall became the towns first community center and the town grew around these two buildings.
Town Hall survived the Great Fire of 1871 but was damaged in the storm of 1875 and the bell tower was removed. The wooden front doors were replaced by glass. A World War I memorial used to be on the grounds (two crossed rifles). Up to the mid 1930's a weekly market day took place here.

Dorothy Cilipka

Edmanson's Tavern

John Edmanson's Tavern was built in 1831 and escaped the Great Fire of 1971 which destroyed about 130 businesses and houses in Bradford. Later this became the Bingham's Hotel and today it exists as two private attached residences.

Dorothy Cilipka

Cousins Dairy

Ed Cave built this cement building to use it as a milk creamery. Around 1934 Cousins Dairy in Aurora expanded to Bradford and added a restaurant to the building. There was also a Cousins Dairy in Newmarket around the 1960's. Cousins Dairy milkmen delivered milk to Bradford houses for many years.

Please contact the library (905-775-3328) if you have any more information about this photo or its contents.

Dorothy Cilipka

Canadian Bank of Commerce

Located on Holland St. at the corner of Barrie St. This building was originally a hotel (Central Hotel, Uneeda Hotel and in 1900 the H. Hulse Hotel). In 1951 the bank was held up by the Boyd Gang which had robbed a number of banks in the Toronto area and Montreal. The robbery resulted in a shootout with Bradford police. There is a bullet lodged in the building across the street from the bank which was the police station at that time. Today this building is the CIBC bank.

Bradford Witness on Barrie Street

The Bradford Witness was the local newspaper. It was first published on February 20, 1879 by Mr. E. Garrett. He was born in Hampshire, England, but settled in Bradford with his parents when he was only one year old in 1856. Before starting The Witness, he worked for Mr. Broughton who published the South Simcoe News, another Bradford newspaper. The fire of 1892 destroyed the offices of The Witness, and the two papers amalgamated, with E. Garrett as proprietor.

Resultaten 1 tot 10 van 49