Showing 2 results

Archival description
George Jackson George Green
Print preview View:

2 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

1 and 3 Holland Street East

The building located at 1 Holland St. East (on the northeast corner of Holland and Barrie Streets) is part of what is known as the Green Block. The structure was originally owned by Mr. Green, who lived with his family on the west side of Church St. in the hotel. The Masonic Hall is still found upstairs at this location in 2014. (1, 2)
Many businesses have been located at 3 Holland St. East (on the northeast corner of Holland and Barrie Streets) over the years. They include a grocery store, a boot and shoe shop (run by Charlie Wilson), an insurance company (that was later run by Fred Cook), a delivery service for C.N.R. (first by horse and buggy, then later by Model T Ford), a hamburger stand (run by Harold ‘Butch’ Boyd), and a telephone office. The first private telephone came to Bradford in 1885 and was run by a number of businessmen. There were ten phones only for Bradford. A garage was later added at the back at the laneway for trucks and cars. (1, 2)

George Jackson

130 Church Street - The George Green House

The George Green House is a corner building located at 130 Church Street. It was built in the Gothic Revival style in the 1890’s. Originally, there was a barn located in the rear yard. The two-storey, two-bay house has a one-storey kitchen addition at the rear. It also has a rectangular plan, a side hall, and narrow window openings with high floor to ceiling heights. The building has a medium-pitched, gable roof. An asymmetrical façade has an open, covered, entrance porch with a hip roof that is raised slightly above grade. The porch roof is supported on turned posts with decorative, ‘gingerbread’ trim. There is a Regency entrance door with a transom and sidelights. The double-hung windows are not original. Plain, wood trim and sills still remain. The house has wood frame construction, wood shiplap siding, a stone foundation, and a cellar under the main portion of the house. The original siding was stucco and the chimney and shutters are later additions. According to the 2000 inventory, the house is in good condition with some original features. (1, 3)

George Jackson