Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Showing 14 results Archival description

14 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

126 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-06-04
  • Item
  • 1996

The mid-block building located on the south side at 126 John St. West was built in the 1880’s in the Gothic Revival Cottage style. Originally, there was a back lane for Jim Woods' house and barn next to this house. Pratt lived here many years ago ...

Nancy Smith

15 John Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-04-02
  • Item
  • 1995

The mid-block building located on the north side at 15 John Street East was built around 1890 in the Eclectic Neoclassical style. It was the home of Miss Arnold, a well-respected member of the community, during WWI. Dick Saint had part of the hous...

Nancy Smith

218 Simcoe Road

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-21-16
  • Item
  • 1995

This two-storey structure is located at 218 Simcoe Road. It is the fourth house on the west side (south of the “Y” in Simcoe Road). Robert Stewart, his wife, and family lived here many years ago. His son George, who married Ethel Waldruff, played ...

Janice Hopkins

36 and 38 Holland Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-25-03
  • Item
  • 1995

The two-storey, frame building located at 36 Holland St. East was clad in cement in 1927 by Len Saint. Miss Sarah McDonnell, accompanied by her sister, ran a boarding house here. The frame building located at 38 and 40 Holland St. East was bought ...

Janice Hopkins

41 Simcoe Road - The Dr. Clement House

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-21-05
  • Item
  • 1995

The Dr. Clement House is located at 41 Simcoe Road (on the southeast corner of Simcoe Road and Centre Street). It was built around 1830-1860 (1840’s?) in the Classic Revival style. Dr. Clement lived and died here after practising in the 1870-80’s....

Nancy Smith

45 Holland Street East - The Edmund Garrett House

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-25-05
  • Item
  • 1995

The Edmund Garrett House is a two-storey building located at 45 Holland St. East. It was built in the Classic Revival style in the 1880’s (after the fire of 1871 that destroyed much of Bradford’s downtown). The building was converted into two liv...

Nancy Smith

47 and 49 Simcoe Road

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-21-07
  • Item
  • 1996

The mid-block building located at 47/49 Simcoe Road was built around 1830-1860 in the Neoclassical Duplex style. Originally, there was a long, one-storey, frame house located at this site. It had a verandah on the northwest side, a picket fence al...

Nancy Smith

52 Holland Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-25-06
  • Item
  • 1995

The two-storey, frame building in this photo (from 1995) was once located at 52 Holland St. East. It and sat on a narrow lot and had long sheds at the back. Several families lived here over the years, including Joe Graham, his wife, and sons Leona...

Janice Hopkins

65 and 67 Holland Street West - Standard Bank

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HB-2017-04-01-01
  • Item
  • 1995

The Standard Bank is located at 65 and 67 Holland St. West. It was built in the Romanesque Revival style around 1860-1900. O.M. Seim, previous owner of the Bradford Witness newspaper (1916-1932), and his family (Gordon, Ken, Marjorie, Maurice and ...

Nancy Smith

70 and 72 Simcoe Road

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-21-11
  • Item
  • 1995

The units located at 70 Simcoe Road (north side) and 72 Simcoe Road (south side) are part of an apartment building that was erected in 1980. The property was originally the site of a large, frame house that had a woodshed, chicken house, and a hor...

Janice Hopkins

Results 1 to 10 of 14