Showing 406 results

Archival description
Bradford West Gwillimbury Times
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

149 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

A bradford Sesquicentennial renaissence

"The town of Bradford is undergoing a bit of a mini-Renaissance. It's not just the Home Depot now under construction and due to open this summer, the planned Loblaw and new LCBO outlet that will be built on Holland St. west of Melbourne Drive. It's not just the banners displaying the Town's official flower, the Black-eyed Susan; or the new Sesquicentennial banners for Bradford's 150th birthday; or the flowering beds, or the new additions to both High Schools.
There is also the return of businesses seriously damaged by fire in 2006 - F.K. Textiles, the 88 & 11 Convenience Store, and Annit "a" Haircut - and a number of new stores and ventures that have opened, including Condy Books, on Barrie St.
On top of that, a growing number of established businesses in the community are celebrating the success of their enterprises, with Anniversary celebrations - from the 1st Anniversary of Dutch Treats, the Dutch Store and Deli at 15 Holland St. east; to the 29th Anniversary of Joella's Jewellery & Gifts, 32nd Anniversary of Bradford Rental Sales & Service, to one of the oldest businesses in Town: Spence TIM-BR Mart, now in its 98th year of service.
In this Sesquicentennial year, that's something to celebrate."

Bradford West Gwillimbury Times

A century of service

Description : These days, there are very few businesses that have been around for 100 years. The Bradford law firm of Evans and Evans is one of those few. Founded in 1894 by T.W.W. Evans, the firm was augmented by his sons, Charles and Brock in the 1920s. Today, "Evans and Evans' refers to grandsons Thomas and Robert. On Thursday, the law firm, which has been in the same building for more than 75 years, opened its doors to family, friends, clients and celebrated its first 100 years. There were photos on display that not only chronicled the history of the Evans family, but the history of Bradford and West Gwillimburry, from turn-of-the-century lacrosse teams, to Bradford's centennial celebrations in 1957, to the sod turning for the new library and West Gwillimbury Administration centre.

Bradford West Gwillimbury Times

A Heritage Moment - Trinity Anglican Church, Bond Head

Description : On the north side of the 7th Line, about 1 km. west of Bond Head, there is a metre-high cairn in the fence line, that marks the location of the home and church built by the Rev. Featherstone Osler in the late 1830s. The frame church, that would become Trinity Anglican Church in Bond Head, was initially planned a lecture base for divinity students, church school, and centre for baptisms and marriages. It was during this time, that four sons were born to the Oslers - Feathersone, Britton, Edmund and William. The two elder sons became lawyers of note, Edmund a banker, and William, a doctor who was knighted for his service to his fellow man, and whose work changed the nature of medical practice and diagnosis. A number of medical facilities in Ontario have been named in honour of Sir William Osler, and at Trinity Anglican Church today, a memorial window and brass plaque are of great interest to the members of the medical profession who come from all over the world to visit the birthplace of this leader of their chosen profession. The Osler timber-frame country church, with its stucco coating, was moved in September of 1885 from the 7th Line to the top of the hill, at the northwest corner of Bond Head. It was rollered down the rural road in sections, reassembled, then given a veneer of brick and a new steeple. New oak pews were installed, and the interior was trimmed in oak. Much of the original interior and exterior still survive, including items used by Rev. Osler himself. On December 20th, 1885, Rev. Osler travelled from his Dundas charge to officially open the renovated church in its new location. Recently, Dr. Watters, a local resident and retired surgeon, speaking to the Bradford West Gwillimbury Local History Association, stated, "The old Osler church built and preached in by the Reverend Featherstone Osler, home to his astonishing family, is a piece of Canadian history of interest around the world. We must find some way to preserve the Osler church as part of that character, and as a reminder of the kind of people who began it."

Bradford West Gwillimbury Times

A Heritage Moment... Armson-Wood Home

Description : William Armson came to West Gwillimbury in 1820, from Nottingham, England. He served in the Britisharmy and had been decorated for outstanding service during the Peninsular Campaign of the Napoleonic Wars. In recognition of his military service, he was granted the 200 acre parcel described as Lot 5, Conc. 7 in West Gwillimbury, on the northwest corner of County Rd. 88 and Sideroad 5. At the farm gate, a Simcoe County Historical Plaque states, "William Armson - elected as the Township's first Councillor in 1843, appointed Warden in 1846, and first elected as Warden of Simcoe County in 1847. He served this position until 1852" - the longest-serving term for a Warden of the County. Armson played a leading role in establishing the County of Simcoe in the 1840s, and was the first Reeve of West Gwillimbury, in 1850. On his death, his son John took over the arm. The south half of the lot was sold to Robert Wood in 1881, and was in possession of the 3rd generation of the Wood family when it was recently sold to developers. The two families - the Armsons and the Woods - had owned this farm for 180 years. While the Armson home is of historical interest because William Armson lived there, it is also of architectural interest. Built in 1843, this farm home is the only two-storey mud block house in Simcoe County, and one of the few remaining mud block houses built in the Township. It was built as a full 2-storey in the prestigious "five over five bay front" style, with end gables and chimneys, and a wing on the rear. It is an excellent example of the impressive homes built in the mid-19th century. As evidenced by the photograph, the exterior - except for the modern window sash - remains largely original. Much of the interior detail is also original, and well-preserved. The remarkable and rare feature is the mud block method of construction. Clay, likely from the farm was mixed with straw in a mud puddle. The mixed mud was placed in moulds, and set out to dry. After baking in the sun, the blocks were removed from the moulds and laid out on boards to dry. This mud block building is and excellent example of the ingenuity of the pioneers in employing local building materials to build their new homes, as they became established in West Gwillimbury. The Armson-Wood house is a building that embodies both local and provincial heritage attributes, and is a wonderful part of the Heritage of Bradford West Gwillimbury.

Bradford West Gwillimbury Times

A New Civic Centre for Bradford West Gwillimbury... pursuing the vision

"The Ad Hoc Facilities Committee, comprised of Mayor Frank Jonkman, Councillors Marty Toombs and Jim Corneau, Chief Building Official Art Janse, Deputy Treasurer Ian Goodfellows and Police Chief Bruce Davis met on Wednesday night, to consider future facilities that could include a new Police Station, a consolidated administration centre, and possibly, an indoor pool." ...

Bradford West Gwillimbury Times

A new name for the new school

On May 13th, parents and other members of the school communities of Fred C. Cook, W.H. Day and Sir William Osler Public Schools met to consider the names suggested for the new Bradford elementary school on Professor Day Drive. Following the protocol established by the Simcoe County District School Board, parents and students at the three "feeder" schools were invited to submit names for consideration. Among the suggestions: Susan Cassidy, the first teacher in Bradford; Charles Evans,; Jean Kell; Gordon Compton; Dr. Blackwell; and Kristin Coombes. Not all the suggestions were people: some were descriptive, like Trillium, Fieldcrest, Hillside and Windy Hill. On May 21st, a special committee consisting of a parent representative from each school council, a member of the Town Council, Superintendent Stan Wells, Trustee Bob Evans, and new Principal Marlane Brooks, will meet to select 3 names, to be recommended to the School Board - which will make the final decision, possibly on June 16th. Brooks emphasized the importance of the name selection process, noting, "It's a new beginning."

Bradford West Gwillimbury Times

A Sesquicentennial Party!

"On May 27th, 1857, the Town of Bradford was incorporated. Next Sunday, May 27th, Bradford will launch a year of Sesquicentennial celebrations, with a Re-enactment, Proclamation and Sesquicentennial Flag-raising, 3 p.m. outside the Bradford West Gwillimbury Council Chambers on Holland St. East.
There will be a proclamation by the Mayor, greetings from the County, Province and Federal government - and a brief (and humorous) re-enactment of the incorporation, by the award-winning Bradford District High School Drama Club.
Then watch as the flag is raised, and enjoy a slice of Sesquicentennial cake.
Organizers are looking for participants for a Sesquicentennial Parade to take place at 3 p.m. on August 19th, following the same route as the Santa Claus Parade. The theme: 'Bradford Through the Ages'.
Anyone with antique farm equipment, classic or antique cars; representatives of Minor League sports, and hockey alumni of Bradford's historic teams (The Blues, Vasey Jrs., etc); choirs and bands - in fact, any community group, business or organization is invited to participate in this historic event.
The Town is looking for nominations for Parade Marshal; residents can nominate anyone for the honorary position. There will also be a contest for Junior Marshal."

Bradford West Gwillimbury Times

Altseimer, Nicole Lynn birth

July 15, 1992
Birth
ALTSEIMER - Steve and Marlene (nee Maurino) are thrilled to announce the birth of their first child, Nicole Lynn. Born Julne 25, 1992 at 6:15 p.m. and weighing 9 lbs 1 oz. Proud grandparents are Leo and Evelyn Maurino and Steve and Jean Altseimer of Gilford.

Bradford West Gwillimbury Times

An invitation to sponsors and donors, from Gwillim Group

"Dear editor,
We, the Gwillim group, a sub-committee of the Bradford West Gwillimbury Local History Association, are delighted to inform the community about our project to commemorate the Town's 150th Anniversary. We have commissioned a bronze sculpture of Elizabeth Posthuma Simcoe (nee Gwillim), to be placed in the Post Office Parkette on the corner of John and Barrie Streets (on the Yonge St. route). The sculptor is Brenda Wainman Goulet, who created the bronze sculptures of Dr. Bethune in Gravenhurst and the Tom Thomson in Huntsville."...

Bradford West Gwillimbury Times

Results 1 to 10 of 406