Mostrar 14389 resultados

Descrição arquivística
Apenas descrições de nível superior Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives
Previsualizar a impressão Ver:

1843 resultados com objetos digitais Mostrar resultados com objetos digitais

A country home away from home

  • CA BWGPL PH26624

Municipality :
Community : Bradford
Lot :
Concession :
Description : Twenty-nine years ago, Ross and Shirley Klubine took over the Klubine family farm on Highway 11, just north of Bradford. The beautiful brick farmhouse, built circa 1850, had become "somewhat decrepit." They replaced the front entry and, using family photographs, repaired and restored the verandah. They opened their doors to visitors, starting the first "Bed and Breakfast" establishment in Simcoe County. A sign proclaiming the "Country Guest Home" went up at the end of a drive lined with majestic maple trees, and immediately attracted the attention of the local health inspector. Both Ross and Shirley were involved in the venture. Seven years ago Ross passed away, and was buried in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, on land that is still part of the farm. Now her baked goods, and fresh jams, are two of the staples on the breakfast table at the Guest Home, that bring visitors back, again and again. The Country Guest Home is open all year round, but summer is the peak season. Rates have remained reasonable, and include a full home cooked breakfast.

Heritage sign program approved

  • CA BWGPL PH26625

Municipality :
Community : Bradford West Gwillimbury
Lot :
Concession :
Description : Bradford West Gwillimbury Council has voted to support the heritage signage propposal of resident, Donal McGugan. Council has approved a town-wide signage program that will honour "individuals, events and places of significance from our community's history", through "strategically placed roadside signs not unlike roadside historical plaques and monuments throughout the province." The estimated cost is $600 to $1,000 per sign. The Facilities & Parks Department will be advised to budget for the new program, and erect the signs after consultation with the local historical society, to ensure accuracy. McGugan had originally recommended renaming roads to reflect historical significance (e.g., renaming 10 Sideroad as Middletown Sideroad) - but the Town turned down the suggestion, since road - renaming carries a significant cost, including 4 weeks of advertising to notify residents, the cost of change-of-address notification, and the potential for "confusion of non-residents trying to find a location."

Preventing silo deterioration

  • CA BWGPL PH26627

Municipality :
Community : Ontario
Lot :
Concession :
Description : The "Safety and Maintenance of Silos and Grain Bins" is the theme for this year's Farm Safety Week Campaign, July 25-31. Silo safety begins with sound construction. The silo must be made of quality concrete - a strong, dense concrete provides resistance to silage acids. Even so, an acid resistant coating should be applied to the bottom third of the silo prior to use. Acid damage can also be limited by management practices, including the following :
-Control the moisture content of the harvested crop to prevent acid seepage.
-Remove all silage on a yearly basis to allow wall surface to dry refilling.
-Inspect and replace wire rope used on unloaders if signs of wear show.
-Install a safety cage on outside ladders to prevent falls.
-Carry out regular safety inspections, including inspection of silo doors, looking for signs of rot or corrosion.
-Get professional advice on silo repairs if you suspect deterioration.

Local Entries At Kiwanis Festival All Win Honor Standing

  • CA BWGPL PH26632

Municipality :
Community : Ontario
Lot :
Concession :
Description : Pupils of St. Mary's School and St. Mary's Music School comprised a total of 16 entries at the recent Kiwanis Music Festival in Toronto and while they did not win a first place, every child won honour standing in this competition of the best from the entire province. Each child had the benefit of the experience associated with such an event, and also the benefit of the criticism and advice of some of the world's best adjudicators.

Some Further Recollections of The Old Times in Bradford

  • CA BWGPL PH26638

Municipality :
Community : Bradford
Lot :
Concession :
Description : When Mr. Driffill appeared before that council asking for a by-law respecting the sale of liquor in grocery stores, there was probably simple cause for his request, as there were then at least five hotels licensed to sell liquor, as well as the liquor store. These were: Algeo's Hotel, run by Robt. Algeo; Western Hotel,on site of present Queen's Hotel and which was burned down in 1891; the Innia House, on the corner now occupied by the Bank of Commerce, with William (Billie) Innis as the well known landlord - and poundkeeper, and also, a few years later, the owner of the famous heavy draft stallions, Lochnigar and Defiance, and how proud he was of those horses! Many a summer morn might he be seen on the Bond Head road, 'brushing with hasty steps the dews away!' as he led one or the other of his heavy steeds out for exercise - and never wearing a coat; the Bingham Hotel, the large three-story one that stood on the corner of Holland and Simcoe Streets, the owner and landlord of which was Mr. Robt. Bingham - succeeding landlords of that hotel that I recall were Mr. John Armstrong, a Mr. Harris who came from Toronto, and Mr. Brown - Mrs. Fred McKay's father; and the Lower Hotel, which Mr. Walkter Probert has long since turned into a residence. This one is down near Lukes' mill, nearly opposite Mr. Jas, Church's home. Some time I would like to continue and speak about the ice races and other old time matters mentioned in that ancient copy of the South Simcoe News. But, to close this letter, may I speak of that item in last week's Witness about that Tottenham lacrosse match.

Get ready for Bradford's Sesquicentennial

  • CA BWGPL PH26647

Municipality :
Community : Bradford
Lot :
Concession :
Description : The town of Bradford came into being in May of 1857, but was not formally inaugurated until January 1st, 1858 - which means that, sometime in the next 12 months, Bradford celebrates its sesquicentennial. Town Council has decided to accept January 1, 2008 as the date of the 150th Anniversary - in part because it gives the municipality more time to get things rolling, and get co-ordinating committees in place. "This is a high priority," says Mayor Doug White of the Planned Sesquicentennial Celebrations. "We want to do this right. We want this to be a celebration the likes of which this Town has never seen before." Not only that, White says, but "we want the entire community to be part of this." The Mayor and several members of Council will sit on a Sesquicentennial Steering committee, headed by Councillor Del Crake; and the BWG Recreation Department will take on a co-ordinating role, in addition to running Town events. But members of the community - churches, schools organizations and associations, clubs, businesses, individuals - are invited to get involved, by sending a representative to sit on an Advisory
Community Group Committee, by planning an event and contacting the Recreation Dept. to have it listed on the Sesquicentennial Calendar, or by volunteering for Town events or fundraising activities. Some of the ideas already under consideration include a New Year's Eve Black Tie Gala, on December 31, 2007, to kick off the Official Town celebration which could culminate in a huge community-wide party and formal proclamation on July 1,2008, at the Canada Day Celebration. "The sky's the limit - we want the community to come up with every idea. Nothing is too minor, and nothing is impossible," says Mayor White. "There's a tremendous amount of pride in the community. We want the participation of everybody," adds Councillor Crake. Interested in getting involved in the 150th Anniversary Celebrations for the town of Bradford? Contact Nick Warman Manager of Recreation. In the Jan. 9 meeting of Council, Councillors Del Crake, Jeanny Salmon, Mark Contois, and James Leduc were appointed to a Sesquicentennial Steering Committee.

Memorandum of Unterstanding signed...

  • CA BWGPL PH26663

Municipality :
Community : Bradford West Gwillimbury
Lot :
Concession :
Description : He called water "a much more valuable commodity than oil and gasoline...It's liquid gold." New Tecumseth Mayor Keogh spoke of the vision that led to the development of the water pipeline from Georgian Bay. The signing opens the way for negotiations to being in earnest, for the purchase from Collingwood and New Tecumseth, and the design and construction of the pipe to Bond Head. The route proposed follows a former railway track south of Alliston to the 11th Line New Tecumseth, down the 15th Sideroad to the Beeton Road, and east to County Road 27. Earlier that morning, Bradford West Gwillimbury had met with the Ministry of the Environment, and finally received a new water-taking permit for its main municipal wells - with a warning that the wells will be closely monitored. "There's reason to monitor with great care," Thompson said, noting, "There was no request for additional water (from the wells), and no offer of additional water. We're nearing the limit of what the aquifer can offer. There's significant growth, and there's not a hope that could be accommodated by the aquifer. The town has agreed to growth, through its Official Master plan, he said, but without the Georgian Bay water, "realistically our community is not going to grow." The agreement will ensure not only that the Official Plan can be met, but that the Town will have a secure and reliable source of potable water.

Town's first resident ends up a 'ruined man'

  • CA BWGPL PH26664

Municipality :
Community : Newmarket
Lot :
Concession :
Description : The first resident of a clearing in the woods that grew into the Town of Newmarket was a Pennsylvania miller named Joseph Hill. He eventually lost all his property here in a court battle and, as war broke out in 1812, left for Pennsylvania rather than swear allegiance to the British Crown. Hill and another Quaker miller, James Kinsey, arrived in the spring of 1801 with Timothy Rogers' first group of settlers. They build a dam and mill where the Holland River and the old Indian trail crossed. Today we call his millpond Fairy lake and a heritage plaque stands close to where the mill was built. There was a small technicality Hill ignored - he didn't own the land on which he built and it was grabbed up 1802 by York mason Joseph McMertrie. But Rogers, who was anxious to see the mill and store in his new settlement survive, came to Hill's aid by buying the property from McMertrie in 1804 and turning it over to Hill. Enter Elisha Beman, a shrewd New York Entrepreneur with good colonial government connections. He bought land and built a mill upstream from Hill. This was the start of a feud which lasted until Hill fled back to the U.S.

WEGWHIST is now winding up its work...

  • CA BWGPL PH26693

Municipality :
Community : Bradford West Gwillimbury
Lot :
Concession :
Description : There comes a time with every project when the decision is made that this is the end. The first chapter of the History of West Gwillimbury - WEGWHIST project - is off to the printer, and we have 2 other chapters almost ready to send. We have other chapters that still need some work, but we will be using only material at hand. This means the end of our research. We thank the many who provided a story and pictures of their families, unfortunately that did not provide us with a story, and thus there will be no mention of them in the families chapter. The West Gwillimbury History project is a volunteer effort, involving a team with a variety of skills and talents who have written, photographed, organized, arrange, edited and prepared the book for the printer.

Words of advice, from Scotch Settlement group

  • CA BWGPL PH26718

Municipality :
Community : Bradford West Gwillimbury
Lot :
Concession :
Description : That was the advice of Dr. Neil Watters, speaking to the Scotch Settlement Historical meeting last Saturday afternoon. He reminded those in attendance of the many contributions the Osler family made to the community of Bond Head, South Simcoe, Canada, and in the case of Sir William, to the world-wide field of medicine. In April 1837, the family came to the village of Bond Head, on the edge of the Canadian wilderness, surrounded by forest, where bears and wolves roamed. Dr. Watters noted that visitors from abroad still come Bond Head to visit the church. He urged Governments to meet the challenge: "Find some way to preserve Osler Church!" Dr. Watters, in his own way, is establishing a precedent in Town - taking the initial steps towards the designation of the log house on his property on the 12th Line, as a Heritage property. The log house, built in 1834, is a rare example of an original log house built by the first settlers in West Gwillimbury and is the first property to be designated since the Heritage Committee was formed by 18 months ago.

Resultados 1 a 10 de 14389