Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Showing 149 results Archival description

149 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

26 Colborne Street

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HB-2017-03-18-18
  • Item
  • 1995

The house, which is currently found at 26 Colborne St., was moved to this site many years ago. It was originally located across the river on the west side of Federal Farms Road. The west entrance to Queensville passed through the property. The one...

Joe Saint

61 Holland Street East - The Bradford Town Hall

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HB-2017-03-25-08
  • Item
  • 1995

The Bradford Town Hall is located at 61 Holland St. East. It survived the fire of 1871 that destroyed much of Bradford’s downtown. The building was being used as a schoolhouse in 1875 when a severe wind storm blew off the roof and killed a member ...

Nancy Smith

10 and 12 Holland Street West - Compton's IGA

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HB-2017-03-28-03
  • Item
  • 1995

The mid-block building located at 10 and 12 Holland St. West was built in the Ontario Vernacular style around 1872-1899. The two-storey, commercial, detached ‘row’ building had a narrow rectangular plan with an asymmetrical organization. ‘Main str...

Nancy Smith

26 Holland Street West - Gardner's Hardware building

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HB-2017-03-28-26
  • Item
  • 1995

This building is located at 26 Holland St. West. H.F.S. Gardner, his wife Bertha, and children Tom and Ada (who was in a wheelchair) moved from Newmarket to this area in 1920. They opened a combination general and hardware store that sold clothing...

Janice Hopkins

65 and 67 Holland Street West - Standard Bank

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HB-2017-04-01-01
  • Item
  • 1995

The Standard Bank is located at 65 and 67 Holland St. West. It was built in the Romanesque Revival style around 1860-1900. O.M. Seim, previous owner of the Bradford Witness newspaper (1916-1932), and his family (Gordon, Ken, Marjorie, Maurice and ...

Nancy Smith

96 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HB-2017-04-05-19
  • Item
  • 1995

This house is located on the south side at 96 John St. West. It was considered to be “new” when this photo was taken in 1995. Many years previously, this property was owned by Bill and Mae Fuller. (1, 2)

Janice Hopkins

157 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HB-2017-04-06-09
  • Item
  • 1995

This bungalow located at 157 John St. West originally had a woodshed on the east side. It was once owned by Bill Semenuk, until he and his family moved to Barrie. He was considered to be a good electrical, radio, and watch repairman. The house was...

Janice Hopkins

17 Barrie Street Ray's Sales & Service Ltd.

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-07-02
  • Item
  • 1995

The cement brick building (with an arch) that is located at 17 Barrie St. is not the original structure at this site. Originally, there was a large frame building (used to shelter horses, a stage coach, buggies, cutters, etc.) that was part of a l...

Joe Saint

21 Barrie Street European Bakery

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-07-03
  • Item
  • 1995

The one-storey building with a flat roof located at 21 Barrie St. has been used by many businesses over the years. Tommy Lautonee owned the blacksmith and carriage factory once situated in this structure. George Geddes was the blacksmith there unt...

Joe Saint

23 Barrie Street Restaurant

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-07-04
  • Item
  • 1995

The one-storey building with a flat roof located at 23 Barrie St. (as seen in the photo) replaces the round, metal building originally found on this site. It was an implement store and later the home of a pop business moved here by Keenty O’Keife...

Joe Saint

Results 1 to 10 of 149