Showing 191 results

Archivistische beschrijving
George Jackson
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

139 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Muck Growers' Conference Awards

  • CA BWGPL OS8647
  • 1975

Awards presentation at the Muck Growers' Conference. From left: William Watson Jr., Charlie Davis, Dick Hilliard.

Plowing

  • CA BWGPL OS8954

Massey Harris Pacemaker with steel spade wheels, as used before the 1950s, plowing at a local plowing match.

West Gwillimbury Township Ticket of Location

  • CA BWGPL OS8508
  • 1819

Ticket of Location given by West Gwillimbury Township to John Willson, formerly of County Down, Ireland, now of the Township of King, for the south half of Lot 1, Concession 11, containing 100 acres.

31 Simcoe Road - The Wilkinson House

The Wilkinson House is a mid-block building located at 31 Simcoe Road. It was built by Art Saint and/or George Stoddart around 1923 in the Arts and Crafts style. The house was sold to Chris Long, his daughter, and her husband Fred Wilkinson (a printer for the Bradford Witness) and daughter Marjorie. When they moved to Toronto to work at the DeHavill and Aircraft Company during WWII, the house was sold to a market gardener whose family lived here for many years.
The 1½-storey, two-bay ‘bungalow’ has a simple form with an asymmetrical façade and a rectilinear plan. A broad, steeply-pitched, gable roof extends down to reduce the scale of the building from the street. It covers the open front porch and is supported on wood half columns on brick piers. There is an off-centre hall entrance from the porch. The porch (entered from the front) is raised and has a simple, wood handrail and baluster. There are wide window openings with low floor to ceiling heights. A wide band of windows across the front of the dormer emphasizes the horizontal lines and massing of this house. The wide windows are set into rectangular openings. Smaller, second-storey windows in the front dormer are offset from the ground-floor windows and have plain, wood sills and trim. The windows and the second entrance door are not original. A mix of exterior cladding materials is common to this style. The house has returned eaves at the dormer roof. Wood frame construction has brick, masonry cladding and vinyl siding on the dormer. The original cladding would have been wood. There is a painted, concrete foundation. According to the 2000 inventory, the house is in good condition with many original features that have been maintained well. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

41 Simcoe Road - The Dr. Clement House

The Dr. Clement House is located at 41 Simcoe Road (on the southeast corner of Simcoe Road and Centre Street). It was built around 1830-1860 (1840’s?) in the Classic Revival style. Dr. Clement lived and died here after practising in the 1870-80’s. He was buried in Clement Cemetery on the 2nd Line in Innisfil (east of Highway 11). His wife Rachel lived here until her death. The house was then rented to Walton, a railroad man for the C.N.R. The barn and garden behind the building ran to William St. (as did all the properties on the east side). Sam Catania and his wife Sarah lived here in later years. They converted the house into two apartments and had a dry cleaning business in the garage that was eventually destroyed by fire. Sam sold the house to Bruce and Barbara Verney. They were still living here when this photo was taken in 1995. Bruce was a chiropractor. A building used as a dry cleaner was constructed later on the property. Jack Pong (a restaurant owner on Holland St.) built a house on the back of this property that extended to Centre Street.
The street level has apparently been raised considerably around this house as the current 1½-storey, two-bay house was originally 2½ storeys. It has an asymmetrical façade and entrance, a simplified ‘temple’ form, and a medium-pitched, gable roof. The pediment roof shape has return eaves facing the front. A hip roof on the raised entrance portico is supported on wood beams with decorative, wood dentils. The corner columns have wooden ‘flutes’ and are mounted on brick pedestals. A wood-panelled door is flanked by narrow sidelights and is topped by a transom light. The house has small window openings with low floor to ceiling heights. Small, upper-floor windows are set into rectangular openings with plain, wood frames and sills. A ground-floor, bay window is an angled projection with a hip roof. The brick masonry foundation appears to be a replacement. A horizontal belt line at the top of the foundation is expressed with wood trim. The structure has wood frame construction with stucco cladding and a cut-stone foundation. Bricks found at the bay window foundation and at the entrance porch are probably not original. According to the 2000 inventory, the house is in good condition with many original details. (1, 2, 3, 4)

George Jackson

Bateman, Dave Audio Part 1

First part of an interview with Dave Bateman on May 17, 2003. He is interviewed by George Jackson. See the Related Descriptions below for the summary.

Due to length, the audio is split into three parts (see related descriptions below for links).

Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Bateman, Vira Interview

Audio and summary of an interview with Vira Bateman in July 1994. She is being interviewed by George Jackson. The interview largely discusses the Scotch Settlement and Vira Bateman's life story. See the Related Descriptions below for links to audio and summary.

Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Baynes, Marjorie Interview

Audio and summary of an interview with Marjorie Baynes on June 20, 1991. She is interviewed by George Jackson, Anne Coffey and another interviewer. The interview discusses the Baynes’ family tree in detail. See the Related Descriptions below for links to audio and summary.

Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Baynes, Marjorie Summary

A summary of an interview with Marjorie Baynes on June 20,1991. She is interviewed by George Jackson. The interview discusses the Baynes’ family tree in detail. See the Related Descriptions below for audio.

Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Resultaten 1 tot 10 van 191