Showing 6 results

Archival description
Fred C. Cook Business
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

5 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

1 and 3 Holland Street East

The building located at 1 Holland St. East (on the northeast corner of Holland and Barrie Streets) is part of what is known as the Green Block. The structure was originally owned by Mr. Green, who lived with his family on the west side of Church St. in the hotel. The Masonic Hall is still found upstairs at this location in 2014. (1, 2)
Many businesses have been located at 3 Holland St. East (on the northeast corner of Holland and Barrie Streets) over the years. They include a grocery store, a boot and shoe shop (run by Charlie Wilson), an insurance company (that was later run by Fred Cook), a delivery service for C.N.R. (first by horse and buggy, then later by Model T Ford), a hamburger stand (run by Harold ‘Butch’ Boyd), and a telephone office. The first private telephone came to Bradford in 1885 and was run by a number of businessmen. There were ten phones only for Bradford. A garage was later added at the back at the laneway for trucks and cars. (1, 2)

George Jackson

10 and 12 Holland Street West - Compton's IGA

The mid-block building located at 10 and 12 Holland St. West was built in the Ontario Vernacular style around 1872-1899. The two-storey, commercial, detached ‘row’ building had a narrow rectangular plan with an asymmetrical organization. ‘Main street’ frontage with a typical storefront façade was located at the street line. The plain façade was characterized by a high, flat, ‘boomtown’ façade and cornice with brick dentils. The two bay-façade each had its own entrance and storefront. Existing doors and storefronts are not original. The original, large, second-floor windows (characterized by segmented arch openings and concrete sills) have been partially bricked in, but are still visible from the brick voussoirs. The building has masonry construction with brick cladding and a flat, built-up tar and gravel roof. (1, 3)
The west side of the building (10 Holland St. West and the location of Pizzaville in this 1995 photo) was once the site of a drugstore run by W.L. "Billie" Campbell. Fred Cook helped him for a number of years. Billie’s son, Lou, and druggist Clarence Ritchie took over the business. Eventually Clarence Ritchie ran it on his own before he retired. Fred McKay sold phonographs on the upper floor and there was a pool room run by James Ferguson. The Salvation Army held services here in the 1930’s. (1, 2)
Sutherland’s Grocery Store was once found at 12 Holland St. West (site of Karen’s and Tina’s Flowers in this 1995 photo). Alec Sutherland was a baker. He had a bakeshop on the south side of Simcoe St. that was run for many years by his daughter Jessie and sister Mrs. Bessie Ryan (and her daughter Betty). They eventually retired and moved to St. Catherine’s. There were living quarters upstairs. William Compton and his wife bought the store and ran it as an IGA grocery store. Gord and Marilyn Compton later took over the store. They built a new store on John St. (where Frank Kilkenny’s house had been). The Comptons’ store eventually moved to what was known as the IGA plaza (located at the corner of Collings Ave. and Holland St. West). As of 2014, 12 Holland St. West is the site of The Holland Bloom florist shop. (1, 2)

George Jackson

Cave, George Edward obituary

Event Date : Saturday, November 09, 1957
Event Type : Death

Description : George Edward Cave, who lived the majority of his almost 81 years of life in this district, passed away suddenly on the street in Bradford on Saturday, November 9. Mr. Cave had suffered a very slight stroke over a year ago, from which he appeared to make a perfect recovery, and there was no indication before his death that he was not enjoying good health. Born in Melanchon Township, the late Mr. Cave came to Newton Robinson district with his parents at an early age, and grew up in that district. In 1900 he married Miss Ida Richardson, the ceremony taking place in Bond Head Anglican Church. For a number of years Mr. and Mrs. Cave farmed near Bond Head before coming to Bradford where they operated a dairy. Over twenty-five years ago they sold their dairy interests to Cousins Dairies, and shortly afterward they moved to Holland Street West, where they have lived a retired life. Mr. and Mrs. Cave had one daughter, Violet, who died some twenty years ago. Mrs. Cave survives her husband. Also surviving is one brother, Elwood Cave of Alliston. Four brothers and three sisters predeceased him, namely, Silas Cave, Humprey Cave, Mary (Mrs. Fred Westlake), Emma (Mrs. John Kidd), Lyman, Norval, and Lillian (Mrs. Charles Johnston). The deceased was an Anglican in early life but in recent years had attended the Presbyterian Church. He was a member of the Orange Lodge. The funeral was held on Tuesday afternoon from the Lathangue-Kilkenny Funeral Home. Interment was in Mount Pleasant Cemetery. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. C. R. P. Hearn of Bond Head and Rev. MacLarnon of Toronto, formerly of Bradford.The pallbearers were Fred C. Cook, Robert Brown, Fred Gregory, Gregory Semenuk, Frank Allen and Seward Lee.

Drug Store

"This week's historical photo was submitted by Lew Campbell of RR 2, Bradford, whose father, W.L. Campbell (behind the counter) operated the drug store on Holland Street now occupied Ritchie's Variety Store. Fred C. Cook, standing in front of the counter, worked for Mr. Campbell for several years, intending to become a druggist. But he went into the insurance business instead. Mr. Campbell owned the drug store in Bradford for 57 years. He graduated from the Ontario College of Pharmacy in 1891, a silver medalist in his class."

Bradford Witness

Drug Store

"This week's historical photo was submitted by Lew Campbell of RR 2, Bradford, whose father, W.L. Campbell (behind the counter) operated the drug store on Holland Street now occupied Ritchie's Variety Store. Fred C. Cook, standing in front of the counter, worked for Mr. Campbell for several years, intending to become a druggist. But he went into the insurance business instead. Mr. Campbell owned the drug store in Bradford for 57 years. He graduated from the Ontario College of Pharmacy in 1891, a silver medalist in his class."

Bradford Witness

Suggest New Municipal Building on Fire Hall Site

"Council Hears Veterans' Delegation - Consider Fixing Up Town hall Basement As Banquet Room

The April meeting of the Village Council was held in the Council Chamber on Friday evening las with reeve Evans and Councillors Compton, Evans and Wood in attendance. Bills and accounts were passed for payment as follows ...

Messrs. A.O. Davey and Geo. Morton, representing the Veterans, suggested to Council that the town erect a new municipal building on the site of the present fire hall property to accommodate the village Clerk's office, police office, Utilities office and warehouse, fire hall, gaol, etc., on the first floor, with the second floor to be designated as a memorial and recreation quarters for the Veterans." ...

Bradford Witness