Showing 37 results

Archival description
James Webb
Print preview View:

35 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

13 and 15 John Street West

The mid-block duplex located at 13 and 15 John St. West was built pre-1900 in the Neoclassical Duplex style. During the 1920’s, the building was moved back from the street and onto new concrete foundations that were built by Leonard Saint. The building was a rental property that was possibly owned by Jim Webb at one time.
The 1½-storey, rectilinear building has a shallow, gable roof and paired entrances at the centre of the building. Window and door openings are not original and they have been significantly altered. The chimneys and shutters are also not original. Bevelled, vinyl siding conceals alterations to the structure beneath. Originally, the cladding may have been wood cove siding over the wood frame construction. According to the 2000 inventory, apart from the building’s form, little of the original building remains (including the parged-stone foundation). Additions and alterations, such as the front metal awning, entrance doors with side panels, and the windows are unsympathetic with the original character of the building. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

29, 31 and 33 Holland Street West

The structure located at 29 Holland St. West was vacant for many years. Howard Bowser bought and restored it as a shop with living quarters upstairs. Ted and Audrey Gapp lived here for a number of years. Helen Bantam ran a ladies’ shop downstairs and lived upstairs. She may have bought it from Bowser. At the time of this photo (1995), it was a barber shop.
The building located at 31 and 33 Holland St. West (on the northeast corner of Holland and Moore Streets) was built around 1880 in the Ontario Vernacular style. It was constructed on the site of the former Edmanson Bakery (33 Holland St. West). The bakery was the origin of the big fire on May 23, 1871 that destroyed much of downtown Bradford. E.P. Snow had a harness and saddle shop at 31 Holland St. West for many years. He lived on the north side of John Street. Later it was bought by Secondo Cavallo, who ran a shoemaking business at this location. He lived on the south side of John Street. Cavallo’s daughter (Aida) ran the business for a few years and then it was sold. Lash Davey and Bill ran a butcher shop at 33 Holland St. West for several years. They had a slaughter house on Piccadilly Hill (Simcoe St. South). James Webb, a butcher and lacrosse player, later ran his shop here. Webb was joined by his son Jim, who eventually took over the business and employed Harold Boyd. Jim originally had an ice house at the back of the property. A freezer locker was built later by Len Saint at the back. The building and business were eventually owned for many years by the Pezzanitti family.
The one-storey, commercial, semi-detached ‘row’ building has a wide, rectangular plan with an asymmetrical organization. There is “Main Street” frontage with a typical, storefront façade located at the street line. A plain façade is characterized by a high, flat, ‘boomtown’ façade with brick dentils. The two-bay façade is dominated above the storefronts by an applied, pressed- metal cornice with stone brackets at each end. Existing doors and storefronts are not original. Wide, glass, storefront windows with stone sills are also not original. The building has masonry construction with brick cladding, a stone foundation, and a flat, built-up tar and gravel roof. According to the 2000 inventory, the modest building is in good condition. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

Archer, Frank obituary

Event Date : Friday, September 12, 1952
Event Type : Death
Municipality : Burbank, California

Description : Died at his home in Burbank, California. Husband of May McKenzie; father of daughter Frances, and brother of the late Mrs. Ruth Saint. The deceased was born in Bradford and was first employed in the butcher business by Wm. Davey. On Jan. 1, 1906, he bought the business from Mr. Davey but later that year sold to Mr. James A. Webb and left town. Mr. Archer was an outstanding athlete, and being a member of Bradford's famous lacrosse team, played centre field with such well known team mates as Jas. Webb, R. McKinstry and the late Dr. Campbell.

Bradford Witness

Assessment Correspondence

Documents and correspondence between the Village of Bradford and other parties relating to the assessment roll and tax assessments.

John Harrison

Bradford Box Lacrosse Club

"T.E. Bell (Pres.); W. Sutton (trainer); E. Gapp (Capt., D.); E. Armstrong (C.); E. James (C.); G. Lang (O.H.); M. Campbell (O.H.); R. Wilson (Mascot); B. Stoddart (D.); J. Webb (R.); W. Mulliss (I.H.); B. Cavallo (G.); D. Wilson (I.H.); S. Gapp (R.); J. Church (O.H.); K. Seim (R.); W. Reeves (Coach); C. Evans (Sec. Treas.)

Bradford Box Lacrosse Club, Champions Tri-County Box Lacrosse Associations, McCarthy Cup, Spring 1932

Rickard Photo No. 133-B Panoramic Camera, 321 St. George St. Toronto"

Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library

Bradford High School Class Photo 1917

From the Yesterday section of the Bradford Witness:
"Max Morris of Stayner submitted this week's photo of a class at the old Bradford High School around 1917. The building burned down in 1921. In the back row from the left are Mr. Harrison, principal; the name of the teacher in the middle is not known, the other teacher is the late Mrs. Gardner of Meaford (nee Jessie Curry, sister of Harvey Curry of Bradford). The names of the other students in the next two rows are not known, Mr. Morris writes, except for Hipwell, Sturgeon, Clubine, and Spence. Max Morris himself is on the outside right in the top row. Students in the front row from the left are Kenneth Cummings, Charlie Brown, Bowser, Jim Webb, Mike Saint, Fred McLeod. Second row, Kathleen Collings, Metcalf, Dorothy Bell, unknown, and Constance Nolan. The Witness welcomes photos of interest, especially from the Tecumseth area."

Max Morris

Bradford High School Class, 1957

Grade 10, Bradford High School.
Front Row - Theresa Watt, Dorothy Hamstra, Eldora Elliott, Mary Jane Collings, Barbara Saint, Eva Yaszczyszyn, Barbara Lee, Marilyn Hollingshead, Martha Roesner, Jean Horlings, Doris Griffiths.
2nd Row - Judy Whitty, Eleanor Jackson, Elizabeth Carr, Gwen Geddes, Mary Fischer, Ruth Andrews, Vivien Turner, June Nesbitt, Patricia Belfry, Mitsi Tezuka, Carolyn Schmidt, Mary Dales.
3rd Row - George Verkaik, James Verkaik, Robert Eadie, James Janse, Lee Winterkorn, Richard Jarzylo, Harold Newns, Henry Kleiss, Michael Kavchak, Paul Margetiak, Lloyd Coutts.
Back Row - Robert Kneeshaw, Donald Griffiths, Larry Belfry, Ivan Hounsome, Robert Duvall, Eric Fines, James Webb, Raymond Rand, Adolf Zielke, David Hambly.

Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library

Bradford Junior Lacrosse Champions

Bradford, the Ontario Junior Lacrosse Champions, 1902.
Back Row, left to right: W.L. Campbell, W. Ward, E. Jackson, Geo. Bell, G.G. Green, W. Turner, J. Curry, N. Strong.
Middle Row: Roy Hill, H. Heffernan, R. Manning, Dr. L.H. Campbell, Geo. Stewart, N. Stibbs.
Front Row: H. Wilkinson, Jas. Webb, Dave Ellerby, Fred Coombs, J. Farrell, R. McKinstry, H. Graham.

Bradford won the same championship title in 1904 and 1905.

Bradford Lacrosse Club

Photograph of the 1908 Intermediate O.L.A. Champions.

Front Row: W. Reeves, Rex Morris (Mascot), J. Webb.

Middle Row (left to right): L.H. Campbell, W.C. Davey (Ex-President),
W.L. Campbell (Sec'y Treas.), T.E. Bell(President),
G.G. Green (Ex-President), B.B. Collings (Captain), L. Cotton.

Back Row (left to right): J.H. Martin, O. Robinson, N. McKinstry,
J. Sutherland, W.G. Sutherland, Robert McKinstry,
R. Anderson, E.V. Graham, L. Church.

Bill Marks

Bradford Lawn Bowlers

Photograph of Bradford men: Ed Coombs (Reeve of Bradford), James Webb, T.W.W. Evans and Archie Wright. Lawn bowling balls are resting at their feet on the grass.

Results 1 to 10 of 37