Showing 32 results

Archival description
T.W.W. Evans
Print preview View:

31 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

21 Holland Street West

The structure located at 21 Holland St. West is part of what is known as the Evans Block. The building was raised and Len Saint added a cellar and a foundation. The work was done by Mac Campbell and his team of carpenters. T.W.W. Evans had the building constructed to house his law practice. The upstairs was also used for years by Dr. Ellis, a dentist. The upper floor even served as Bradford Library in the 1930s, run by Mrs. Day. At one time, the offices of Tupling Insurance were also located in this building. In 1957 a fire destroyed several buildings to the east, but this structure was spared. (1, 2)

George Jackson

A century of service

Description : These days, there are very few businesses that have been around for 100 years. The Bradford law firm of Evans and Evans is one of those few. Founded in 1894 by T.W.W. Evans, the firm was augmented by his sons, Charles and Brock in the 1920s. Today, "Evans and Evans' refers to grandsons Thomas and Robert. On Thursday, the law firm, which has been in the same building for more than 75 years, opened its doors to family, friends, clients and celebrated its first 100 years. There were photos on display that not only chronicled the history of the Evans family, but the history of Bradford and West Gwillimburry, from turn-of-the-century lacrosse teams, to Bradford's centennial celebrations in 1957, to the sod turning for the new library and West Gwillimbury Administration centre.

Bradford West Gwillimbury Times

Attendance is Representative at Unveiling of Cairn

Attendance is Representative at Unveiling of Cairn

The unveiling of the Professor W.H. Day memorial cairn, with bronze plaque, which was erected by the combined efforts of the Tourist and Industrial Committee of Simcoe County Council and the municipalities of Bradford, West Gwillimbury Township and King Township, at Bradford town hall on Sunday afternoon in recognition of the valued service given to this district by the late professor in the reclamation of the Holland Marsh, attracted a very representative assemblage. The Province of Ontario was represented by the M.P.P. for Simcoe Centre, George G. Johnston, who was accompanied by his wife. The Ontario Agricultural College was represented by its president, Dr. J.D. MacLachlan, and several members of its staff. The Ontario Archaeological and Historical Sites Advisory Committee had representation in Wm. Cranston, editor of the Midland Free Press, who is also secretary of the County Tourist and Industrial Committee. The counties of Simcoe and York were represented by their wardens, and in Simcoe, by many members of the county council. The county Tourist and Industrial Committee had present practically its entire personnel. The townships of West Gwillimbury and King, and the town of Bradford were represented by their reeves and councils as well as by many residents from these municipalities.

The members of the late Professor Day's family were present with the exception of Stella (Mrs. Caughey) who resides in St. Andrews, N.B., but she was represented by her son, Michael, a student at the University of New Brunswick, presently employed in the civil service at Ottawa for the summer months. Attending were the two sons, William and Harry with their wives and families and the other daughter, Ida (Mrs. Ray Smith) with her husband and family.

Reeve D. Arthur Evans of Bradford was chairman for the program, welcoming the visitors and expressing appreciation to those who had given assistance to the project and to the arrangements for the unveiling day, naming particularly Mr. Louis A. Neilly who designed the cairn. Rev. F.G. MacTavish of Bradford United Church led in prayer and speakers on the program included Reeve Lawson Robinson of Elmvale, Chairman of the Tourist and Industrial Committee for Simcoe County; Reeve Percy Selby of West Gwillimbury and William Hodgson of King Township; Wardens John Small of Simcoe County and M. McMeachie of York County; Charles Davis of the Holland Marsh; Wm. Cranston of the Tourist and Industrial Committee and member of the Ontario Archaeological and Historical Sites Advisory Committee; George G. Johnson, M.P.P., Simcoe Centre; Dr. J.D. MacLachlan, President of the O.A.C. and Professor R.C. Moffat of the O.A.C. and former colleague of the late Professor Day. The latter two gentlemen were introduced by Glen Henderson, a graduate of the college. Immediately following the unveiling ceremony by William N. Day, elder son of the late Professor Day, C.T.S. Evans, Q.C., whose father, the late T.W.W. Evans, Q.C., as municipal solicitor, played a prominent role at the time of the reclamation of the marsh, spoke briefly and read a letter from Rev. Harold W. Vaughan, Th.D., D.D. now of Brantford, who was minister of the United Church here previous to and at the time of Professor Day's death. Quoting that letter:
"It is a splendid thing which the people of this County of Simcoe and the Townships of West Gwillimbury, King and the Village of Bradford, undertake to do this day. For over three years it was my privilege to know Professor Day and to see the determination with which he pursued a great vision - a vision which took him out of the Agricultural College, away from the cleanliness and order of classroom instruction into the muck and toil of labour on the Marsh. However, he knew it could be done. He was certain that the Marsh could be drained, irrigation ditches strategically placed, and eventually a battle of moisture control won and productive vegetable land created on a large scale.

Unfortunately, Professor Day was not spared to see the fulfillment of his vision, although even at that date, enough of its promise was there for him to know that he had been right.

The problem of marketing of the attendant economy, of the finalizing of chemical research in fertilizers, and above all, the detail of storing and packaging, still had to be conquered. I well remember the time that Professor Day died of a heart attack while working in the Marsh itself. It seemed, in a way, pathetic and yet there was also something of majestic triumph in the manner of his death, for he died working at the task to which he had given himself unstintingly across the years, and today the people of all this area know a new prosperity and opportunity because of the vision and perseverance of this fine man.

Thus, to honour his memory is not only to pay tribute to the past and to the vision of one who was more largely responsible than any other for the present result, but it is also to commit yourselves as citizens of these areas to a continued interest in this project and to its consistent growth for the welfare not only of the people here but of consumers throughout the whole land."

Bradford Witness

Bradford High School

This portrait is of the original Bradford High School on Queen Street. The picture is followed by an article on its history, and pictures of its principal, George A. Carefoot, and of the Members of Bradford High School Board of 1906. The members were Dr. L.H. Campbell, T.W.W. Evans, H.S. Broughton, A. Neilly, E. Garrett, and Robert Stewart.

Edmund Garrett

Bradford Lacrosse Team

Back Row (l-r): Jim Webb Jr., Walter Reeves, Ollie Robinson, Joe Evans, Ted Gapp, Jack Busby, Dr. Lewis H. Campbell, Jim Webb Sr., T. W. W. Evans (president). Front Row (l-r): Lorne Church, Fred Bennett, Fred "Colly" Collings, George Webb, Harry Gapp, Eddie Armstrong.

Bradford Lawn Bowlers

Photograph of Bradford men: Ed Coombs (Reeve of Bradford), James Webb, T.W.W. Evans and Archie Wright. Lawn bowling balls are resting at their feet on the grass.

Bradford Lawn Bowling Club Membership List

A page listing members of the Bradford Lawn Bowling Club in an account and minute book of theirs. The club was founded in 1909 and William L. Campbell was a founding member.

"The following gentlemen have signified their intention of becoming part of the club:

H. S. Broughton
Peter Holt
T. W. W. Evans
D. F. Porter
T. A. Pratt
J. E. Hodgson
T. E. Bell
W. A. Stratton
Geo. D. Morton
Robt. Helmer
E. J. Morton
Alex. Logan
A. [Illegible] Wright
Geo. Ogilvie
Geo. G. Green
Dr. C. W. Ellis
Geo. R. Coombs
Geo. A. Carefoot
C. Casselman
A. E. Dyment
Dr. Stevenson
W. L. Campbell
Jos. Park
E. P. Snow
E. V. Peters
Mr. R. Perley
S. Martin
Gilbert Lukes
Wm. Manders
Jas. Bemrose
Fred Moore
A. E. Scanlon
Robt. Neilly
Herb Wiley
Ed Coombs
Robt. Stewart
L. C. McDonald"

Luanne Campbell Edwards

Bradford Public Library annual meeting report

"The annual meeting of the Public Library was held in the Council Chamber on Friday evening. The attendance was small, as usual. The Treasurer, Mr. Jas. Driffill, presented his report, which showed that the receipts for the year were $354, and the expenditure $310.17, leaving a balance on hand of $44.37. ..."

Bradford Witness

Broughton, Henry S.

This portrait is of H.S. Broughton as part of the Members of Bradford High School Board of 1906. Other members were T.W.W. Evans, A. Neilly, Robert Stewart, E. Garrett, and Dr. L.H. Campbell.

Edmund Garrett

Results 1 to 10 of 32