Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Showing 14 results Archivistische beschrijving

13 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Working to Preserve Convent's History

  • CA BWGPL WEG-Arch-OS8412-PH25356
  • Deel
  • 1987-03-08

Working to Preserve Convent's History Bradford - A lot of people are interested in seeing the empty building known as the old convent on Barrie Street saved, says one Bradford resident who is determined to do his part. Jim Culbert, known to thos...

Bradford Weekly

The Purchase of Algonquin Lodge

  • CA BWGPL WEG-Arch-OS8412-2016-11-16-03
  • Deel
  • 1910-04-28

"Masons, carpenters and painters have been for some time and are still at work at Algonquin Lodge, and "vaster than has been" are the improvements that are being made. This property was lately purchased from the Estate of the late Rev. E.R. Young ...

Bradford Witness

Convent Wood Decorative Moulding

  • CA BWGPL AR-2018-08-09-06
  • Stuk
  • After 1876

A piece of plaster decorative moulding recovered during demolition of The Lukes House/The Convent in August 1994. This house had various owners throughout its history. Most notably, Reverend Egerton Ryerson, Samuel Lukes and the Ursuline Order of ...

Lukes' house / Convent

  • CA BWGPL WEG-Arch-PH268
  • Stuk
  • 1930

This was the home of Sam and Gilbert Lukes. It was originally built by John MacLean Stevenson in 1876. It was sold, first to Robert Bingham in 1877, then to James Boddy in 1894(?) who named it "Fairview". Later, after a number of other sales, it ...

Lewis Campbell

28 John Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-04-05
  • Stuk
  • 1996

The house located mid-block at 28 John St. East was built in the Edwardian Classicism style around 1850 in Amsterdam (on the east side of the Holland River). It was moved to its current site in Bradford around 1890 by Sam Lukes to provide housing ...

Nancy Smith

Buildings & Architecure F-L

  • CA BWGPL JS-Vol3-JSC-v3-1610
  • Stuk

Contains articles and clippings related to the buildings and architecture of Bradford West Gwillimbury, from F-L

Joe Saint

History of Bradford's Grand Old Lady

  • CA BWGPL WEG-Arch-OS8412-PH25358
  • Deel
  • 1988-06-28

"Whatever becomes of this grand old lady, her colourful history will not be soon forgotten. When the Recreation Facilities Committee was formed consisting of Chairperson Ann Currie, Jim Culbert, Steve Boland, Ellen MacKenzey, Bill Germayne and Sh...

Bradford Gazette

Lukes, Samuel & Mary Jones

  • CA BWGPL VS-1900-4179
  • Stuk
  • 1908-04-23

Event Date : Wednesday, April 15, 1908 Event Type : Marriage Description : Mary, fourth daughter of Benjamin Jones, Esq., London, England, to Samuel Gilbert Lukes, eldest son of Samuel Lukes, Esq., Bradford, Ontario. The wedding took place at Dun...

Bradford Witness

Samuel Lukes' House / The Convent

  • CA BWGPL WEG-Arch-OS8412
  • Stuk
  • 1961

This home was most known for the Lukes' residents, Samuel and his son, Gilbert. It was originally built by John MacLean Stevenson in 1876. It was sold, first to Robert Bingham in 1877, then to James Boddy in 1893 who named it "Fairview". After les...

Lukes, Samuel

  • CA BWGPL LHC-BraPh-BW1906-2017-04-27-03
  • Stuk
  • 1906

This portrait is of Samuel Lukes, businessman and mill owner of Bradford. At the time of this edition, he was a successful owner of the Bradford Flouring Mills and lived on Holland Street. Later, he would own the Algonquin Lodge (now known as the ...

Edmund Garrett

Resultaten 1 tot 10 van 14