Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Showing 19978 results Archival description

5767 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

27 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-05-12
  • Item
  • 1995

The building located at 27 John St. West (on the northeast corner of John and Moore Streets) was built around 1890 in the Gothic Revival style. It was the home of John Lee (a retired farmer from north of Bradford) for many years. After World War I...

Nancy Smith

27 Simcoe Road

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-21-02
  • Item
  • 1995

Alex Sutherland’s bakeshop was located at 27 Simcoe Road for many years. It was later sold to Howard Bowser. Howard converted it into a rental dwelling. The building was eventually owned by a market gardener who had a cement garage and storage bui...

Janice Hopkins

28 Barrie Street Becker's Store

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-07-05
  • Item
  • 1995

The southwest corner of John and Barrie Streets, which is now recognized as 28 Barrie St., was a vacant lot for many years. When Highway 11 was widened, Allan (Wink) Crake built a service station here. Bill Aikens ran it until his death during WWI...

Joe Saint

28 John Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-04-05
  • Item
  • 1996

The house located mid-block at 28 John St. East was built in the Edwardian Classicism style around 1850 in Amsterdam (on the east side of the Holland River). It was moved to its current site in Bradford around 1890 by Sam Lukes to provide housing ...

Nancy Smith

28 Letitia Street

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-07-05
  • Item
  • 1995

This house is located at 28 Letitia Street. The street was named after Letitia Magee, the founder of the original subdivision in Bradford in the 1830’s. The name was later changed to Frederick St. to avoid confusion during emergency calls. This bu...

Janice Hopkins

29 Barrie Street Something For You and Nimbus

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-08-01
  • Item
  • 1995

Many businesses have used the flat-roofed structure located at 29 Barrie Street. It was once the home of a farm machinery business run by Reuben Tindall. When he retired, he sold the business to Dick Crake. Dick, who sold machinery and 28 Chevrole...

Joe Saint

29, 31 and 33 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-29-01
  • Item
  • 1995

The structure located at 29 Holland St. West was vacant for many years. Howard Bowser bought and restored it as a shop with living quarters upstairs. Ted and Audrey Gapp lived here for a number of years. Helen Bantam ran a ladies’ shop downstairs ...

Nancy Smith

30 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-28-27
  • Item
  • 1995

The building located at 30 Holland St. West (on the southeast corner of Holland and Drury Streets) has been the site of many businesses, including Bradford Travel (as seen in this photo from 1995). Many years previously, George Ogilvie, a tailor, ...

Janice Hopkins

30 Simcoe Road

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-21-03
  • Item
  • 1995

The building located at 30 Simcoe Road was known as the Lathangue & Skwarchuk Funeral Home when this photo was taken in 1995. The Kilkenny family was the first to serve Bradford with a funeral home in 1836. Neil Lathangue owned the business from 1...

Janice Hopkins

Results 181 to 190 of 19978