Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Showing 266 results Archival description

264 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

81 John Street West - Bradford Presbyterian Church

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-05-17
  • Item
  • 1996

The Bradford Presbyterian Church was once located at 81 John St. West (on the northwest corner of Church and John Streets). A Presbyterian church in Bradford dates back to 1856. The original frame building was built on this site and used until 189...

Nancy Smith

29 Barrie Street Something For You and Nimbus

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-08-01
  • Item
  • 1995

Many businesses have used the flat-roofed structure located at 29 Barrie Street. It was once the home of a farm machinery business run by Reuben Tindall. When he retired, he sold the business to Dick Crake. Dick, who sold machinery and 28 Chevrole...

Joe Saint

29, 31 and 33 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-29-01
  • Item
  • 1995

The structure located at 29 Holland St. West was vacant for many years. Howard Bowser bought and restored it as a shop with living quarters upstairs. Ted and Audrey Gapp lived here for a number of years. Helen Bantam ran a ladies’ shop downstairs ...

Nancy Smith

156 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-06-07-2017-04-06-08
  • Part
  • 1995

This house is located on the south side at 156 John St. West. It was originally a garage built by Merle Woodcock on his property. The structure was on the laneway that went to Holland Street. This laneway was a popular spot for sleigh rides when t...

Janice Hopkins

79 John Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-04-16
  • Item
  • 1996

The mid-block structure located at 79 John St. East was built around 1860-1890’s in the Gothic Revival style. Originally, there was a shed and garage attached to the house at the rear and a vacant lot on the east side. This building was the home ...

Nancy Smith

93 John Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-05-01
  • Item
  • 1996

The mid-block building located on the north side at 93 John Street East was built pre-1900 in the Gothic Revival Cottage style. A large horse stable and a barn for storing marsh hay once stood behind the house. A fence also ran across the length o...

Nancy Smith

98 John Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-05-02
  • Item
  • 1995

The structure located at 98 John St. East was the home of the Collings family years ago. The large, two-storey, frame and stucco-clad house has a long shed at the back that was once used for automobile storage (and later as a utilities room). Befo...

Janice Hopkins

218 Simcoe Road

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-21-16
  • Item
  • 1995

This two-storey structure is located at 218 Simcoe Road. It is the fourth house on the west side (south of the “Y” in Simcoe Road). Robert Stewart, his wife, and family lived here many years ago. His son George, who married Ethel Waldruff, played ...

Janice Hopkins

20 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-05-10
  • Item
  • 1995

This photo (from 1995) shows the remains of the foundation wall of a large, natural-ice skating rink that was once located on the southeast corner of Moore (Lovers’ Lane) and 20 John St. West. The rink, built in 1910, was owned by Thompson Fisher....

Janice Hopkins

12 and 16 Holland Street West - Sutherland's Grocery

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-28-04
  • Item
  • 1995

Sutherland’s Grocery Store was once found at 12 Holland St. West (site of Karen’s and Tina’s Flowers in this 1995 photo). Alec Sutherland was a baker. He had a bakeshop on the south side of Simcoe St. that was run for many years by his daughter Je...

Nancy Smith

Results 11 to 20 of 266