Print preview Close

Showing 599 results

Archival description
George Jackson fonds
Print preview View:

592 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

111 John Street West

The mid-block building located on the north side at 111 John St. West was built around 1880 in the Neoclassical style. It was known locally as “The Edmanson Home”. Thomas Edmanson was an undertaker and a businessman who lived here for many years. The house became the home of Charles Soper and his wife Eva (Edmanson) and daughters Doris and Caroline before World War II.
The two-storey, rectangular building has a one-storey rear addition that was originally the summer kitchen. It also has a symmetrical façade, a centre hall plan, and a medium-pitched, gable roof. The original entrance probably had sidelights, a transom, and a roof with a steeper slope. It may also have been wider. The house has large window openings with high floor to ceiling dimensions and large, double-hung windows. Second-floor windows are slightly smaller than those at the ground floor (a local vernacular modification). The original windows would have been multi-paned. Wood frame construction has replacement exterior siding and there is a parged, stone foundation. The existing chimney is also a replacement. Chimneys originally located at the roof peak have been demolished. According to the 2000 inventory, the existing entrance, porch, and many windows and doors do not reflect the original design intent. (1, 2, 3)
Please contact the Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library (905-775-3328) if you have any other information about this photo.

George Jackson

112 Frederick Street

This mid-block building is located on a sloping lot at 112 Frederick Street. The structure, which was once the home of the Chantler family, was built on a sloping lot pre-1900 in the Ontario Vernacular Cottage style. The existing Frederick Street appears to be built at a higher level than the lot, indicating that this house was built before the street was paved or town services were installed.
The one-storey, three-bay cottage has a square plan with a centre hall. A box hall was typical for this style. It has a saltbox roof, a symmetrical façade, and a single door at the grade-level entrance. There are small window openings with low floor to ceiling heights and plain, wood trim and sills. Double-hung windows are not original. Wood frame construction is covered with vinyl siding. The original siding was likely wood. There is a parged, stone foundation. According to the 2000 inventory, few of the existing building elements appear to be original. It also notes that this modest cottage probably had few decorative details originally. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

113 Holland Street West - Art Saint House

Builder A.J. (Arthur) Saint and his wife Margaret once lived in the structure located at 113 Holland St. West. Art bought the house in 1931 and completely remodeled it. He added a walk-in refrigerator and a two-car garage in the old summer kitchen and woodshed. At the back of the lot at that time there was a two-storey barn that Art turned into a workshop. He had three children (Keith, Helen and Karen). Art died in 1952 and the house was sold a couple of years later to John DePeuter. It was later remodeled and bricked again as seen in this photo from 1995. (1, 2)

George Jackson

113 John Street East

The house located at 113 John St. East (on the southeast corner of John and Nelson Streets) was the last house on John Street East. This area was known as French Town at the time because of the French families living there who had come to Bradford to work at the sawmill and planing mills. Fred Stoddart’s pasture fields were over what is now called Colborne Street.
The small, one-storey, square-frame house with a cement cellar was built by Dan Collings in the 1940’s. He used materials from the barns behind his house in the construction. Dan eventually moved to Holland Street. He died in his 97th year. The house was sold to Couvert during World War II. Later it was owned by Len Fuller, his wife, and sons (George and Leonard). (1, 2, 4)

George Jackson

115 Hurd Street

The house located mid-block at 115 Hurd St. was built around 1920-1940 in the Gothic Revival Cottage style. It was once the home of Aldie Robinson. The Waldruff family lived here years later.
The 1½-storey, three-bay ‘cottage’ has a symmetrical façade, a centre hall plan, a medium-pitched, gable roof and a steeply-pitched, gable dormer. The wide, ground-floor windows indicate twentieth-century construction. The openings are original, but the windows have been replaced more recently. They have cut-stone sills and steel lintels. There is a broad, brick header belt course. Long, narrow bricks which are not a standard shape are used. The house has brick veneer on wood stud construction. This indicates post-1920’s construction. There is a parged, block foundation and a wide, basement window with a window well. The use of a basement for ‘living’ space is a more modern concept related to improvements in waterproofing and insulation technologies. According to the 2000 inventory, this house incorporates modern-day construction materials, techniques, and detailing. It also notes that the entrance door and sidelight, metal awning, and wood porch are recent additions. (1, 3)

George Jackson

116 Hurd Street

The house located mid-block at 116 Hurd St. was built pre-1890 in the Ontario Vernacular style. It was once the home of carpenter Arthur Moseley.
The two-storey, rectangular building has simple detailing. There is a centre hall, a single-storey rear addition and a medium-pitched, hip roof. It has medium-sized window openings. The 2/2 wood, sash windows have plain, wood lug sills and trim. Aluminum, storm windows and a door are more recent additions. Stucco covers the wood frame construction and there is a parged, stone foundation. The structure was probably clad in wood cove siding originally. According to the 2000 inventory, this house once had a verandah and a bay window on the left side. It also notes a lack of decoration or porch addition. (1, 3)

George Jackson

116 women at annual meeting

"Alliston - South Simcoe District Women's Institute held its 75th annual meeting in Alliston last week, with 116 delegates attending from 11 branches. District president Mrs. Paul Tipping of Tottenham and secretary treasurer Mrs. Everett McVety of Bradford were in charge.

The theme, 'What's 75 Years Between Friends?' set the tone of the meeting held at St. John's United Church. Displays showing accomplishments, projects, and history of each branch were outstanding, and discussion groups led by district conveners replaced oral reports.

Visits to Simcoe Manor will not be a district project from now on but the decision to entertain there is at each branch's discretion after conferring with the manor superintendent.

Delegates voted to hold a Tweedsmuir History workshop in November, with Cookstown being a possible location.

Mrs. Gordon Mallion of Tottenham judged the log book competition of home histories and presented prizes to: first, Mrs. Russel Browning; second, Mrs. W. Ingram, both from Churchill branch; and third, Mrs. Norman Baker, Everett.

Federated Women's Institute of Ontario board members, Mrs. Don Hennessy of Duntroon, said Simcoe County leads the province in interest in log books. County books were on display at the officers' conference at the University of Waterloo in May.

After the noon luncheon, Tweedsmuir History curator Mrs. William Sutherland of Bond Head reviewed district history. The first meeting was held in Jebb's Hall, Cookstown, on July 9, 1902, with 50 in attendance. In 1906 only four attended and for some years district meetings were held in homes.

Today there are 321 active members in Simcoe South and 46 life members. A birthday cake was cut by Mrs. Joseph Hancey of Alliston, a WI member for 61 years.

Ted Whitworth, a farm safety consultant for eight counties, told delegates there are too many accidents in agriculture. He said 'farmers must recognize hazards and he placed the responsibility on 'mother' to continue to remind her family of safety practices. Farm safety booklets brought home by school children should be reviewed by the parents with the children so both will benefit, he said.'"

Jean Saunter

117 Frederick Street

This house located at 117 Frederick St. was once the home of Jack Barnard. By 1995, this structure was the home of Bill and Terry Lotto. (1, 2)

George Jackson

117 James Street - The Isaac Coburn House

The Isaac Cobourn House is located mid-block at 117 James Street. It was built in the Arts and Crafts style in the 1920’s by a good carpenter for his family.
The 1½-storey bungalow has an asymmetrical, ‘L’-shaped plan. There are wide, window openings with low, floor to ceiling heights. The steeply-pitched, gable roof has some eclectic features. It extends down to reduce the scale of the building from the street. There is an off-centre, hall entrance from a covered, open porch. The roof over the porch is supported on wood posts. The porch is raised and has a simple, wood handrail. Wood lattice encloses the underside. A wide band of windows across the front of the dormer emphasizes the horizontal lines and massing of this house. Wide, triple windows at the ground and second floors, and the front door are set into rectangular openings with plain, wood trim and sills. The second-storey windows are offset from the ground-floor windows. A mix of exterior cladding materials and the wood fascia band expressing the line of the floor structure between the ground and second floors is common to this style. There is a truncated, hip roof on the dormer over the front porch. The base of the dormer and front, bay window splay out at the bottom. There are returned eaves at the roof of the projecting, front bay. The house has wood frame construction with wood siding, and painted, wood shingles on the roof, dormer, and bay window. A concrete foundation is also painted. According to the 2000 inventory, the house is in good condition with many original features that have been maintained well. (1, 3)

George Jackson

Results 21 to 30 of 599