Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Showing 60 results Archival description

Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

59 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

27 Simcoe Road

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-21-02
  • Item
  • 1995

Alex Sutherland’s bakeshop was located at 27 Simcoe Road for many years. It was later sold to Howard Bowser. Howard converted it into a rental dwelling. The building was eventually owned by a market gardener who had a cement garage and storage bui...

Janice Hopkins

28 Barrie Street Becker's Store

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-07-05
  • Item
  • 1995

The southwest corner of John and Barrie Streets, which is now recognized as 28 Barrie St., was a vacant lot for many years. When Highway 11 was widened, Allan (Wink) Crake built a service station here. Bill Aikens ran it until his death during WWI...

Joe Saint

29 Barrie Street Something For You and Nimbus

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-08-01
  • Item
  • 1995

Many businesses have used the flat-roofed structure located at 29 Barrie Street. It was once the home of a farm machinery business run by Reuben Tindall. When he retired, he sold the business to Dick Crake. Dick, who sold machinery and 28 Chevrole...

Joe Saint

29, 31 and 33 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-29-01
  • Item
  • 1995

The structure located at 29 Holland St. West was vacant for many years. Howard Bowser bought and restored it as a shop with living quarters upstairs. Ted and Audrey Gapp lived here for a number of years. Helen Bantam ran a ladies’ shop downstairs ...

Nancy Smith

30 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-28-27
  • Item
  • 1995

The building located at 30 Holland St. West (on the southeast corner of Holland and Drury Streets) has been the site of many businesses, including Bradford Travel (as seen in this photo from 1995). Many years previously, George Ogilvie, a tailor, ...

Janice Hopkins

30 Simcoe Road

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-21-03
  • Item
  • 1995

The building located at 30 Simcoe Road was known as the Lathangue & Skwarchuk Funeral Home when this photo was taken in 1995. The Kilkenny family was the first to serve Bradford with a funeral home in 1836. Neil Lathangue owned the business from 1...

Janice Hopkins

31 Barrie Street Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Utilities Commission

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-08-04-2017-03-08-02
  • Part
  • 1995

Allan (“Wink”) Crake, a nephew of Dick Crake, owned the one-storey building located at 31 Barrie Street. When Wink retired, Bradford Public Utilities bought the building and opened its offices here. There was a laneway behind Reuben Tindall’s hous...

Joe Saint

31 Barrie Street Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Utilities Commission

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-08-04
  • Item
  • 1995

Allan (“Wink”) Crake, a nephew of Dick Crake, owned the one-storey building located at 31 Barrie Street. When Wink retired, Bradford Public Utilities bought the building and opened its offices here. There was a laneway behind Reuben Tindall’s hous...

Joe Saint

31 and 33 Holland Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-24-08
  • Item
  • 1995

The building located at 31 and 33 Holland St. East once housed an implement business run by Frank Allan and his son George. Leonard Saint and Sinclair MacDonald cemented the building and flattened the roof. There were four rental apartments upstai...

Janice Hopkins

32 Holland Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-25-01
  • Item
  • 1995

Ed Cave built the flat-roofed, cement building located at 32 Holland St. East. It was originally used as a milk creamery. Around 1934, Cousins Dairy (from Aurora) took over and put Roy in charge. A restaurant was added at the front that was run by...

Janice Hopkins

Results 21 to 30 of 60