Showing 5142 results

Archival description
Print preview View:

5142 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

116 Hurd Street

The house located mid-block at 116 Hurd St. was built pre-1890 in the Ontario Vernacular style. It was once the home of carpenter Arthur Moseley.
The two-storey, rectangular building has simple detailing. There is a centre hall, a single-storey rear addition and a medium-pitched, hip roof. It has medium-sized window openings. The 2/2 wood, sash windows have plain, wood lug sills and trim. Aluminum, storm windows and a door are more recent additions. Stucco covers the wood frame construction and there is a parged, stone foundation. The structure was probably clad in wood cove siding originally. According to the 2000 inventory, this house once had a verandah and a bay window on the left side. It also notes a lack of decoration or porch addition. (1, 3)

George Jackson

116 women at annual meeting

"Alliston - South Simcoe District Women's Institute held its 75th annual meeting in Alliston last week, with 116 delegates attending from 11 branches. District president Mrs. Paul Tipping of Tottenham and secretary treasurer Mrs. Everett McVety of Bradford were in charge.

The theme, 'What's 75 Years Between Friends?' set the tone of the meeting held at St. John's United Church. Displays showing accomplishments, projects, and history of each branch were outstanding, and discussion groups led by district conveners replaced oral reports.

Visits to Simcoe Manor will not be a district project from now on but the decision to entertain there is at each branch's discretion after conferring with the manor superintendent.

Delegates voted to hold a Tweedsmuir History workshop in November, with Cookstown being a possible location.

Mrs. Gordon Mallion of Tottenham judged the log book competition of home histories and presented prizes to: first, Mrs. Russel Browning; second, Mrs. W. Ingram, both from Churchill branch; and third, Mrs. Norman Baker, Everett.

Federated Women's Institute of Ontario board members, Mrs. Don Hennessy of Duntroon, said Simcoe County leads the province in interest in log books. County books were on display at the officers' conference at the University of Waterloo in May.

After the noon luncheon, Tweedsmuir History curator Mrs. William Sutherland of Bond Head reviewed district history. The first meeting was held in Jebb's Hall, Cookstown, on July 9, 1902, with 50 in attendance. In 1906 only four attended and for some years district meetings were held in homes.

Today there are 321 active members in Simcoe South and 46 life members. A birthday cake was cut by Mrs. Joseph Hancey of Alliston, a WI member for 61 years.

Ted Whitworth, a farm safety consultant for eight counties, told delegates there are too many accidents in agriculture. He said 'farmers must recognize hazards and he placed the responsibility on 'mother' to continue to remind her family of safety practices. Farm safety booklets brought home by school children should be reviewed by the parents with the children so both will benefit, he said.'"

Jean Saunter

117 Frederick Street

This house located at 117 Frederick St. was once the home of Jack Barnard. By 1995, this structure was the home of Bill and Terry Lotto. (1, 2)

George Jackson

117 James Street - The Isaac Coburn House

The Isaac Cobourn House is located mid-block at 117 James Street. It was built in the Arts and Crafts style in the 1920’s by a good carpenter for his family.
The 1½-storey bungalow has an asymmetrical, ‘L’-shaped plan. There are wide, window openings with low, floor to ceiling heights. The steeply-pitched, gable roof has some eclectic features. It extends down to reduce the scale of the building from the street. There is an off-centre, hall entrance from a covered, open porch. The roof over the porch is supported on wood posts. The porch is raised and has a simple, wood handrail. Wood lattice encloses the underside. A wide band of windows across the front of the dormer emphasizes the horizontal lines and massing of this house. Wide, triple windows at the ground and second floors, and the front door are set into rectangular openings with plain, wood trim and sills. The second-storey windows are offset from the ground-floor windows. A mix of exterior cladding materials and the wood fascia band expressing the line of the floor structure between the ground and second floors is common to this style. There is a truncated, hip roof on the dormer over the front porch. The base of the dormer and front, bay window splay out at the bottom. There are returned eaves at the roof of the projecting, front bay. The house has wood frame construction with wood siding, and painted, wood shingles on the roof, dormer, and bay window. A concrete foundation is also painted. According to the 2000 inventory, the house is in good condition with many original features that have been maintained well. (1, 3)

George Jackson

119 Barrie Street

The house located mid-block at 119 Barrie St. was one of seven houses begun in 1912 by Lieutenant George Stoddart. When Stoddart went overseas during WWI, the projects were completed by builder Art Saint. This house was built in the Edwardian Classicism style. Hewey Douglas and his wife lived here many years ago. He had a hardware store on the north side of Holland Street (west of the bank).
The two-storey building has a simple, formal composition. The square form is topped by a bell- cast, hip roof. A hip roof on the large, classically-inspired entrance porch is supported by half columns on brick piers. Simple, double-hung windows are balanced within the façade. The side-bay projection (with wood siding) adds visual interest. The rest of the exterior is solid, smooth brick construction with simple details. According to the 2000 inventory, the house has been maintained well. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

12 and 16 Holland Street West - Sutherland's Grocery

Sutherland’s Grocery Store was once found at 12 Holland St. West (site of Karen’s and Tina’s Flowers in this 1995 photo). Alec Sutherland was a baker. He had a bakeshop on the south side of Simcoe St. that was run for many years by his daughter Jessie and sister Mrs. Bessie Ryan (and her daughter Betty). They eventually retired and moved to St. Catherine’s. There were living quarters upstairs. William Compton and his wife bought the store and ran it as an IGA grocery store. Gord and Marilyn Compton later took over the store. They built a new store on John St. (where Frank Kilkenny’s house had been). The Comptons’ store eventually moved to what was known as the IGA plaza (located at the corner of Collings Ave. and Holland St. West). As of 2014, 12 Holland St. West is the site of The Holland Bloom florist shop. (1, 2)
The two-storey, commercial, ‘row’ building located mid-block on the south side at 16 Holland St. West was built around 1872-1899 in the Ontario Vernacular style. The second floor had space for offices or living quarters. Whimster and Wilcox operated a clothing and garment store at this location many years ago. Charles Wilson worked for them. John McDowall moved to the area from Midland and ran a clothing store there sometime in the 1930’s or 1940’s. He had three children (Norrie, Jack and Pat). They lived in quarters above the Bank of Commerce and later moved to the apartment over the store.
The building has a wide, rectangular plan with a symmetrical organization. ‘Main street’ frontage with a typical, storefront façade is located at the street line. The symmetrical, three-bay façade originally had a high, articulated cornice of corbelled and dentilled brick (typical of rich detailing). Its ground floor was characterized by the rhythm of flat pilasters along the street edge. The existing doors and storefront are not original. Three, large window openings with segmented arch openings and concrete lug sills at the second-floor level have been partially filled. The windows are also not original. Built-up tar and gravel covers the flat roof. Masonry construction with brick cladding has been considerably altered in appearance. It is also no longer the site of Carmen’s Backyard Restaurant, as seen in this photo from 1995. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

120 Holland Street West

The building located at 120 Holland St. West in this photo from 1995 replaces one built by Watson (a cement block and sidewalk builder) just before, or during, WWI. That structure had a barn and shed for stock and chickens at the back. The Slothin family moved here from Toronto around the time of the Depression. They had one daughter and a son named Max. At one time Elgar Houghton and his wife lived here with their daughter (Muriel) and sons (Gordon and Lloyd). He drove a team (before he got a truck) and delivered gas for Imperial Oil. Paul Gres, his wife, and family (market gardeners) lived here years later. This house and property (around 25 acres) was still owned by the Gres family in 1995. (1, 2)

George Jackson

123 Barrie Street

Construction of the house located mid-block at 123 Barrie St. (and six others) was begun in 1912 by Lieutenant George Stoddart. When Stoddart went overseas during WWI, the project was completed by builder Art Saint. The house was built in the Edwardian Classicism style. Archie and Minnie (Spence) Hammel moved up the street into this house. They ran a grocery store on the south side of Holland St. (in the second building from Drury St.) and they both died in this house. Minnie left a lot of the Spence records in the attic. These records dated back to 1900 when her father ran a lumber company in Bradford.
The two-storey structure has a bell-cast, hip roof. A square plan and simple form are highlighted with a large, classically-inspired porch. The hip roof at the entrance porch is supported by painted, wooden columns and simple, rounded bracket supports. Simple, double-hung windows are balanced within the façade. The dormer window mimics the roof line of the main house. Construction is solid, smooth brick with simple details. According to the 2000 inventory, the house is well-maintained. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

123 John Street West - The Former Presbyterian Manse

The former Presbyterian Manse is located at 123 John St. West (on the northeast corner of John and Essa Streets). It was built around 1880 in the Eclectic Neoclassical style. Presbyterian ministers lived here in the 1920-1930’s. Rev. McLaren and his wife and daughter lived here in the 1930’s. Jim and Aida Catania later lived here for a number of years. They were followed by Bill Nesbitt and his family after World War II.
The two-storey, rectangular building has a symmetrical façade, a centre hall plan, and a wide entrance with sidelights and a transom. Large window openings with high floor to ceiling heights and the large, 6/6 sash windows (with painted, wood lug sills and shutters) are all Neoclassical features. The monumental pilasters with stepped-brick, stylized bases and capitals, and elaborate, wood soffit detail that accentuate the pilaster capital are Classic Revival features. A medium-pitched, hip roof with a wide overhang and the original veranda (demolished) which extended across the full width of the front façade are Regency Revival features. Dichromatic brickwork at the pilasters is a Gothic Revival feature. The house has solid-brick construction (Flemish bond pattern), a brick foundation, and metal roof cladding. According to the 2000 inventory, the metal awning, the metal screen door at the entrance, and the garage addition are unsympathetic with the original building. It also notes that the façade is unique and handsome. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

Results 31 to 40 of 5142