Affichage de 245 résultats

Description archivistique
Joe Saint
Aperçu avant impression Affichage :

231 résultats avec objets numériques Afficher les résultats avec des objets numériques

34 John Street East

The house located mid-block at 34 John St. East was built in the Ontario Vernacular style around 1850 in Amsterdam (on the east side of the Holland River). It was moved to its current site in Bradford around 1890 by Sam Lukes to provide housing for the staff of his flour mill. His mill was in its heyday at the turn of the century (1890-1910). McClary (a high school teacher) once lived here. Bert and Margaret Hunt raised their children (Phyllis, Art, Oscar, George and Lorna) here. Bob Veale, a WWI veteran and banker, lived here after WWII until his death.
The two-storey, two-bay house has a rectangular plan with a side hall, an asymmetrical façade, and a medium-pitched, hipped ‘Pedlar’ metal roof. An enclosed, entrance porch with a shallow, gable roof was added after the house was moved to Bradford. It is raised slightly above grade and has a single door and windows on three sides. The house has small window openings and double-hung windows (not original) with plain, wood trim and sills. Wood frame construction is covered with horizontal metal siding and there is a parged, stone foundation. The original cladding was probably wood cove siding. According to the 2000 inventory, the house likely had few decorative details originally. It also notes that other than the building’s form, few existing building elements appear to be original (1, 2, 3)

Sans titre

49 John Street East

The house located at 49 John St. East (on the northwest corner of Nelson and John Streets) was built around 1860-1880 in the Gothic Revival style. There was once a large garden on the east side and a small drainage ditch north of the laneway. Dave Ogilvie and his wife May (McKinstry) purchased this house around 1920. Dave had a livery stable, a jitney, and a taxi service. He also carried mail between the (railroad?) station, the Post Office and Bond Head. The taxi and jitney went to Newmarket to meet York Radial street cars. The Ogilvie family moved across the street and the building later became a boarding house that was run by Mr. and Mrs. Jones. It eventually became the home of the Morton family (retired farmers from the Scotch Settlement). At the time of this photo (1995), it was the home of Everett and Marie McVety.
The two-storey, rectangular building has a medium-pitched, gable roof and large window openings with high floor to ceiling heights. There are 2/2 wood, sash windows that have plain, wood lug sills and wood trim. The ground-floor front window is original. It is possible that the wooden shutters may also be original. There is a Regency-like, wide, front porch. The original porch columns have been replaced with simple, square, wooden ones. This structure has vinyl siding on wood frame construction and there is a stone foundation. The original cladding was probably wood cove siding. According to the 2000 inventory, the simple house is well-maintained and has much of its original character.
(1, 2, 3)

Sans titre

61 John Street East - Vic Turner House

The house located at 61 John St. East was built on what was originally the west lot of Miss Hayes’ property. It was built in 1949 by Vic Turner. He was a retired farmer from the Scotch Settlement. The structure became the home of Vic and his wife (Irene) in February, 1949. Vic sold fertilizer and worked for Holland River Gardens. The small, 1½-storey, frame house had a garage underneath on the east side of Nelson Street. (1, 2)

Sans titre

65 John Street East

The mid-block building located at 65 John St. East was built pre-1900 in the Gothic Revival style. It was the home of Miss Hayes and her two sisters many years ago. They were known for lending money, especially to John Rob and family. The first Dutch family to move to Bradford (in 1925), the Hayes worked on the marsh and owned a greenhouse on Back Street. After the sisters died, the west lot was sold to Vic Turner in 1948.
The 1½-storey, four-bay ‘farmhouse’ has a modified, ‘L’-shaped plan with an off-centre hall and a medium-pitched, gable roof. The single-door entrance is raised slightly above grade level, the steps are not original, and there may have been a verandah originally. Large window openings contain replacement, ground-floor windows. Upper-floor, 2/2 sash windows with plain, wood trim may be original. Wood frame construction is clad with vinyl siding and the building has a parged, stone foundation. The original cladding was probably wood cove siding. According to the 2000 inventory, this modest house has probably not changed significantly since it was built. (1, 2, 3)

Sans titre

89 John Street East

The mid-block building located at 89 John St. East is set well back from street. It was built around 1860-1880’s in the Ontario Vernacular Cottage style. John Edwin (or Harry) Cerswell, a retired gentleman, lived here at one time before selling the house. Dave Mundy and Walter moved here from their farm on the 10th line. Dave worked for Holland River Gardens and Walter worked for the Spence Lumber Co. Walter built a garage at the back of the house. When Dave died the house was sold. Years later, a small house was built along the back fence to provide housing for marsh workers. Joe McMillan and his daughter rented it, as did Dick Roberts and Wilma. Lorne Campbell and his wife also lived here after World War II. It was later demolished.
The one-storey, three-bay cottage seen in this photo from 1995 has a rectangular plan with a centre hall. A box hall was typical for this style. It also has a symmetrical façade and a shallow-pitched, gable roof. There is a simple entrance with a single door set into a rectangular opening. It opens directly into the house from slightly above grade level. No porch or weather protection shelters the entrance. The house has small windows with low floor to ceiling heights. There are double-hung windows on either side of the entrance. The 2/2 windows appear to be original. Windows are set into simple, rectangular openings with plain, wood frames and sills. The building has wood frame construction, vinyl siding, a stone-rubble foundation, and a basement with window openings. Originally, the siding was wood. A one-storey addition at the side of house is not original and it has different foundation material. According to the 2000 inventory, this simple cottage probably had few decorative details originally. It notes that other than the building’s form, few existing building elements appear to be original. (1, 2, 3)

Sans titre

98 John Street East

The structure located at 98 John St. East was the home of the Collings family years ago. The large, two-storey, frame and stucco-clad house has a long shed at the back that was once used for automobile storage (and later as a utilities room). Before World War II, there was a small building used for repairs and a blacksmith shop located east of the house. Along the lane fence at the south end of the property was a large, one-storey building used for storing marsh hay. South of the main house was a cement sidewalk that led to Holland Street. There was a garden (and later, grass) on each side of the house. Originally, the family owned a horse stable located at 100 John St. East.
Bill Peters and his wife were housekeepers for Ernie Collings Sr. when he lived here around 1907. Ernie owned marshland on the west side of the Holland River at the 10th Line. Years later the house was bought by James Armstrong and his wife Jane (Saint). Jim was a marsh hay worker and he owned land above the 10th Line on the west side of the river. Jim was an implement sales man on Holland Street (around the time of WWII) after marsh haying was finished. He also ran a garage at 11 Holland St East with Fred Gregory after Dennis Nolan closed his garage. Jim and Jane raised their daughters in this house. Daughter Shirley and her husband Bill Watson remained in the house after Jim and Jane died, but it was eventually sold. (1, 2)

Sans titre

101 John Street East

The mid-block building located on the north side at 101 John St. East was built pre-1900 in the Gothic Revival Cottage style. Originally, there was a woodshed across the back. It was the home of Mrs. Leduc or Mrs. Paul Courier, a French descendant from the old lumber mills. She wove rugs and blankets and repaired clothing. After her death the house was rented. Howard Robson and his wife lived here with part of their family, namely, Alvin, Garret and Phyllis. The building then became the home of Henry Pringle and his wife Joan. He was a retired railroad section man and owner of a garage on Holland Street. It was still the home of Joan Pringle when this photo was taken in 1995.
The 1½-storey, three-bay house has a rectangular plan, a centre hall, and a symmetrical façade.
Its medium-pitched, gable roof has a centre gable over the entrance. The building has small windows with low floor to ceiling heights. There are double-hung windows in rectangular openings with plain, wood frames and sills. The entrance porch, its windows, screen door, and the metal awnings are not original. A brick chimney at the exterior wall is also a recent reconstruction. The building has wood frame construction, vinyl siding and a parged stone foundation. Originally, the cladding was stucco. According to the 2000 inventory, the building’s basic form is camouflaged by the later additions. (1, 2, 3)

Sans titre

Hydro Sub. John E./Nelson St.

The first hydro substation in Bradford was located on Nelson St. (south of John St. East). It was built in 1916 (or 1918) by Tom and Len Saint on a small piece of property owned by the foundry on Holland Street. (1, 2)
Please contact the Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library (905-775-3328) if you have any other information about this photo.

Sans titre

27 John Street West

The building located at 27 John St. West (on the northeast corner of John and Moore Streets) was built around 1890 in the Gothic Revival style. It was the home of John Lee (a retired farmer from north of Bradford) for many years. After World War II, it was the home of Mildred Peelar and her family. Walter Mundy later lived here before the house was sold.
The 1½-storey, ‘L’-shaped, main building has a medium-pitched, gable roof with a steeply-pitched, gable dormer. These are Gothic features. There are round-head, coloured transom lights over several ground-floor windows that are structurally supported above by arched, brick voussoirs. There is also a rectangular transom over the entrance door. Windows of various sizes (indicating post-1880 construction) have the original, wood lug sills. The structure has brick, masonry construction and a rusticated, stone foundation. According to the 2000 inventory, the replacement porch varies from the original design intent. (1, 2, 3)

Sans titre

89 John Street West

This house was once located at 89 John St. West. It was probably built pre-Confederation and it was considered to be one the best examples of the Regency Cottage style of building in Bradford. The one-storey, stucco, square building had an addition at the rear that contained a couple of rooms. There also was a long wooden shed behind the house. Mr. Robinson lived here in early 1930’s. Later it became the home of Bill Hounsome and his wife, Lena, and son Allen. Sam Caen (?) and his wife Daisy and their sons lived here after World War II. In its final years this building was the home of the Everitt family. It was demolished on April 11, 2014 (Bradford Times, April 24, 2014). (1, 2)

Sans titre

Résultats 41 à 50 sur 245