Showing 5142 results

Archival description
Print preview View:

5142 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

123 Moore Street

The building located mid-block at 123 Moore Street was built pre-1900 in the Gothic Revival style. It stood behind the grand, Italianate villa (The Convent) that was once located at 118 Barrie Street and was the home of the Lukes’ family. Originally, the structure was built to be a two-car garage to house Gibb Lukes’ vehicles (particularly his Stanley Steamer). The garage was eventually converted into a dwelling. At the time of this photo (1995), it was being used as the Bradford Food Bank.
The one-storey, three-bay cottage has an “L”-shaped plan with a side hall. There is an asymmetrical façade with a front gable above the façade projection and a medium-pitched, gable roof. The front wall below the gable is inset slightly to provide shelter for the front entrance. It is set into a simple, rectangular opening. Small windows that are not original have low floor to ceiling heights. They are set into rectangular openings with plain, wood frames and sills. The building has wood frame construction with stucco cladding and a parged, stone foundation. According to the 2000 inventory, this modest cottage has few original details other than the building’s form. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

125th Celebration Poster

A poster for the celebrations occuring to mark the 125th anniversary of the town of Bradford.

Town of Bradford

126 John Street West

The mid-block building located on the south side at 126 John St. West was built in the 1880’s in the Gothic Revival Cottage style. Originally, there was a back lane for Jim Woods' house and barn next to this house. Pratt lived here many years ago with his wife and two sons. Elgar Houghton bought this house around the time of World War II. He lived there for a time and then he had the house converted into four apartments which were rented. He later sold the building.
The 1½-storey, five-bay cottage has a rectangular plan with a centre hall, an asymmetrical façade with an off-centre gable over the entrance, and a medium-pitched, gable roof. There is a simple, rectangular entrance (at grade level) with windows to the primary rooms on each side. The existing roof over the entry is not original. Small windows at the ground and second floors are not original. They are set into segmented, arch openings with plain, wood frames and painted, stone lug sills. Brick, masonry construction is clad with stucco (not original) and the structure has a parged, stone foundation. According to the 2000 inventory, this modest house has few original details other than the building’s form. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

129 Barrie Street

Construction of the house located mid-block at 129 Barrie St. (and six others) was begun in 1912 by Lieutenant George Stoddart. When Stoddart went overseas during WWI, the project was completed by builder Art Saint. This house was built in the Edwardian Classicism style. Mr. Moore, who ran a store on the north side of Holland St., moved to this house from John Street. It was eventually bought and sold in the 1990’s by Murray Quinn and family.
The two-storey house has a bell-cast, hip roof. A square plan and simple form are highlighted with a large, classically-inspired porch. The hip roof on the entrance porch is supported by painted wooden columns and simple, rounded bracket supports. Simple, double-hung windows are balanced within the façade. The dormer window mimics the roof line of the main house. Construction is solid, smooth brick with simple details. According to the 2000 inventory, the screening (added later to enclose the porch) does not detract from the building’s appearance. It also notes that the house is well-maintained. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

129 James Street - The Old Presbyterian Manse

The Old Presbyterian Manse is located at 129 James St. (on the northeast corner of James and Essa Streets). It was built around 1875 in the Neoclassical style. It was being used as a manse at the turn of the century and has since been converted into duplex units.
The two-storey, rectangular building has a symmetrical façade, a centre hall plan and a medium-pitched, gable roof. It has large window openings, high floor to ceiling heights, and large, 6/6, double-hung windows. The original entrance probably had sidelights and a transom. There appears to have been a broad verandah at the front entrance and identical chimneys at both ends of the gable roof at one time. The building has sculptured, curvilinear, soffit brackets, solid brick construction (Flemish bond), and an exposed, stone foundation. According to the 2000 inventory, the existing entrance and many windows and doors do not reflect the original design intent. It also notes that the existing duplex unit arrangement suggests major interior modifications. (1, 3)

George Jackson

13 and 15 John Street West

The mid-block duplex located at 13 and 15 John St. West was built pre-1900 in the Neoclassical Duplex style. During the 1920’s, the building was moved back from the street and onto new concrete foundations that were built by Leonard Saint. The building was a rental property that was possibly owned by Jim Webb at one time.
The 1½-storey, rectilinear building has a shallow, gable roof and paired entrances at the centre of the building. Window and door openings are not original and they have been significantly altered. The chimneys and shutters are also not original. Bevelled, vinyl siding conceals alterations to the structure beneath. Originally, the cladding may have been wood cove siding over the wood frame construction. According to the 2000 inventory, apart from the building’s form, little of the original building remains (including the parged-stone foundation). Additions and alterations, such as the front metal awning, entrance doors with side panels, and the windows are unsympathetic with the original character of the building. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

130 Church Street - The George Green House

The George Green House is a corner building located at 130 Church Street. It was built in the Gothic Revival style in the 1890’s. Originally, there was a barn located in the rear yard. The two-storey, two-bay house has a one-storey kitchen addition at the rear. It also has a rectangular plan, a side hall, and narrow window openings with high floor to ceiling heights. The building has a medium-pitched, gable roof. An asymmetrical façade has an open, covered, entrance porch with a hip roof that is raised slightly above grade. The porch roof is supported on turned posts with decorative, ‘gingerbread’ trim. There is a Regency entrance door with a transom and sidelights. The double-hung windows are not original. Plain, wood trim and sills still remain. The house has wood frame construction, wood shiplap siding, a stone foundation, and a cellar under the main portion of the house. The original siding was stucco and the chimney and shutters are later additions. According to the 2000 inventory, the house is in good condition with some original features. (1, 3)

George Jackson

131 Church Street

The house located at 131 Church St. (on the southeast corner of Church and Hurd Streets) was built pre-1900 in the Gothic Revival style. It was once the home of the Taylor family.
The 1½-storey, three-bay ‘cottage’ has a centre-hall plan and a medium-pitched, gable roof. There is a gable dormer centered in the main, gable roof. At the time of the 2000 inventory, the house had aluminum siding on wood stud framing. The original cladding was wood cove siding. It was notes that only the basic form gives some clue as to the age of the structure. Many historical features are concealed by the use of modern cladding, the replacement windows, and the many trees on the property. (1, 3)

George Jackson

Results 41 to 50 of 5142