Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Showing 284 results Archival description

251 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

18 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-28-20
  • Item
  • 1995

The structure located at 18 Holland St. West is a unique, infill building. It was built in the Boomtown style around the 1890’s on a narrow lot that was originally a laneway the two adjacent buildings. It had a side entrance to the Queen’s Hotel s...

Nancy Smith

18 John Street East - The Morton House

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-04-03
  • Item
  • 1996

The Morton House is located mid-block on the south side at 18 John St. East (between Barrie and Nelson Streets). There is a common laneway adjacent to the lot on the south side. The house was built around the 1860-80’s in the Gothic Revival Cottag...

Nancy Smith

187 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-06-10
  • Item
  • 1995

This house is located at 187 John St. West (on the northwest corner of John and Toronto Streets). The 1½-storey, frame building was originally clad in stucco and it had a kitchen and rooms upstairs at the rear. There was also a garden and lawn at ...

Janice Hopkins

19 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-05-09
  • Item
  • 1995

The mid-block building located at 19 John St. West was built pre-1900 in the Ontario Vernacular style. Frank Adamson, who ran a gas station, lived in this house after World War II. It later became the home of Henry Bell and Phyllis for a short tim...

Nancy Smith

2 Holland Street East - The Village Inn

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-24-02
  • Item
  • 1995

The Village Inn is located at 2 Holland St. East (on the corner of Holland and Simcoe Streets). There had been a hotel located at this site before the great fire of 1871. The building in this photo (1995) was built in 1920 in the Ontario Vernacula...

Nancy Smith

20 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-05-10
  • Item
  • 1995

This photo (from 1995) shows the remains of the foundation wall of a large, natural-ice skating rink that was once located on the southeast corner of Moore (Lovers’ Lane) and 20 John St. West. The rink, built in 1910, was owned by Thompson Fisher....

Janice Hopkins

205 Simcoe Road

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-21-15
  • Item
  • 1995

The two-storey house located at 205 Simcoe Road was bought and renovated by Mr. Bruce around 1928. Len Saint did the cement work and the plastering. William Ward and his family lived here later. He raised dogs and had a greenhouse and a garden at ...

Janice Hopkins

207 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-07-01
  • Item
  • 1995

This one-storey, cove-sided house is located on a hill at 207 John St. West. It was built well and has been maintained well over the years. Originally, there were stables and a woodshed behind the house. It was once the home of the Robert Spence f...

Janice Hopkins

21 Barrie Street European Bakery

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-07-03
  • Item
  • 1995

The one-storey building with a flat roof located at 21 Barrie St. has been used by many businesses over the years. Tommy Lautonee owned the blacksmith and carriage factory once situated in this structure. George Geddes was the blacksmith there unt...

Joe Saint

21 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-28-22
  • Item
  • 1995

The structure located at 21 Holland St. West is part of what is known as the Evans Block. The building was raised and Len Saint added a cellar and a foundation. It was originally a store with living quarters upstairs. The work was done by Mac Camp...

Janice Hopkins

Results 41 to 50 of 284