Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Showing 20 results Archival description

20 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

111 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-06-02
  • Item
  • 1995

The mid-block building located on the north side at 111 John St. West was built around 1880 in the Neoclassical style. It was known locally as “The Edmanson Home”. Thomas Edmanson was an undertaker and a businessman who lived here for many years. ...

Nancy Smith

123 John Street West - The Former Presbyterian Manse

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-06-03
  • Item
  • 1996

The former Presbyterian Manse is located at 123 John St. West (on the northeast corner of John and Essa Streets). It was built around 1880 in the Eclectic Neoclassical style. Presbyterian ministers lived here in the 1920-1930’s. Rev. McLaren and h...

Nancy Smith

126 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-06-04
  • Item
  • 1996

The mid-block building located on the south side at 126 John St. West was built in the 1880’s in the Gothic Revival Cottage style. Originally, there was a back lane for Jim Woods' house and barn next to this house. Pratt lived here many years ago ...

Nancy Smith

13 and 15 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-05-08
  • Item
  • 1995

The mid-block duplex located at 13 and 15 John St. West was built pre-1900 in the Neoclassical Duplex style. During the 1920’s, the building was moved back from the street and onto new concrete foundations that were built by Leonard Saint. The bui...

Nancy Smith

139 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-06-05
  • Item
  • 1995

This house is located at 139 John St. West (on the northwest corner of John and Essa Streets). It was built in the 1900’s by carpenter Dalt Coburn. Originally, there was a laneway behind the house that ran west to Toronto St. and a vacant lot next...

Janice Hopkins

149 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-06-06
  • Item
  • 1995

The property located at 149 John St. West was once the site of a small, one-storey frame building with shiplap siding. It had a shed at the rear. Mr. Robinson lived here. He was crippled and played the violin on his knees. He particularly loved to...

Janice Hopkins

156 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-06-07
  • Item
  • 1995

This one-storey house is located at 156 John St. West. The original cladding was stucco and there was a kitchen at the back. Mrs. Belfry owned the building many years ago. After her death, Merle Woodcock bought (and repaired) the house. John Holan...

Janice Hopkins

187 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-06-10
  • Item
  • 1995

This house is located at 187 John St. West (on the northwest corner of John and Toronto Streets). The 1½-storey, frame building was originally clad in stucco and it had a kitchen and rooms upstairs at the rear. There was also a garden and lawn at ...

Janice Hopkins

19 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-05-09
  • Item
  • 1995

The mid-block building located at 19 John St. West was built pre-1900 in the Ontario Vernacular style. Frank Adamson, who ran a gas station, lived in this house after World War II. It later became the home of Henry Bell and Phyllis for a short tim...

Nancy Smith

20 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-05-10
  • Item
  • 1995

This photo (from 1995) shows the remains of the foundation wall of a large, natural-ice skating rink that was once located on the southeast corner of Moore (Lovers’ Lane) and 20 John St. West. The rink, built in 1910, was owned by Thompson Fisher....

Janice Hopkins

Results 1 to 10 of 20