The building located at 1 Holland St. East (on the northeast corner of Holland and Barrie Streets) is part of what is known as the Green Block. The structure was originally owned by Mr. Green, who lived with his family on the west side of Church St. in the hotel. The Masonic Hall is still found upstairs at this location in 2014. (1, 2) Many businesses have been located at 3 Holland St. East (on the northeast corner of Holland and Barrie Streets) over the years. They include a grocery store, a boot and shoe shop (run by Charlie Wilson), an insurance company (that was later run by Fred Cook), a delivery service for C.N.R. (first by horse and buggy, then later by Model T Ford), a hamburger stand (run by Harold ‘Butch’ Boyd), and a telephone office. The first private telephone came to Bradford in 1885 and was run by a number of businessmen. There were ten phones only for Bradford. A garage was later added at the back at the laneway for trucks and cars. (1, 2)
An article about a highly destructive fire that swept through Holland Street, destroying multiple buildings, businesses and homes. The original article appeared in the May 22nd, 1871 edition of the Toronto Daily Telegraph and was reprinted in 1901 as part of the "Looking Backward" series.
Description : These days, there are very few businesses that have been around for 100 years. The Bradford law firm of Evans and Evans is one of those few. Founded in 1894 by T.W.W. Evans, the firm was augmented by his sons, Charles and Brock in the 1920s. Today, "Evans and Evans' refers to grandsons Thomas and Robert. On Thursday, the law firm, which has been in the same building for more than 75 years, opened its doors to family, friends, clients and celebrated its first 100 years. There were photos on display that not only chronicled the history of the Evans family, but the history of Bradford and West Gwillimburry, from turn-of-the-century lacrosse teams, to Bradford's centennial celebrations in 1957, to the sod turning for the new library and West Gwillimbury Administration centre.
Image of an invoice from A. Sutherland Grocery on Holland Street. The invoice is dated June 12th, 1926 and to Hazel Campbell. Alexander Sutherland also operated a bakery on Simcoe Road. His wife, Elizabeth was the sister of Bessie Campbell (wife of William Campbell).
The article accompanying this photograph gives a quick history of B.B. "Ben" Collings' life and business. By this point, his furniture and undertaking business was only four years old (starting in 1902) and the storefront is shown in the photograph, located on the south-west corner of Holland and Drury Streets. The post office is opposite. It was said in the showroom, there would "be found some of the nicest furniture one could wish to place in his home." Starting in 1897, Ben spent four years studying the mattress making trade in Toronto.
The article accompanying this photograph gives a quick history of Bemrose Co. General Store, owned by the Bemrose brothers John and James. Their father, John, was a contractor and was well known in the town, a reputation which was passed down to the brothers. This store in the photograph was run by James Bemrose alone after his return to Bradford in 1901 in the former store of J.S. Boddy, and was in the same block as the Edmanson businesses on Holland Street (near 71 Holland St. East).
An 1903 reprint/summary of parts of the March 26th, 1863 edition of the South Simcoe Times. Printed by the Bradford Witness as part of the "Bradford 4_ Years Ago" series. It has significant information and parts from the mentioned edition.
Firemen attempt to put out the fire that destroyed five businesses on Holland Street in Bradford. The businesses that were caught in the fire were Breen's Refrigeration Service, Evan's Men's and Boy's Wear, Model Bakery, Bradford 5 cents to $1.00 store and Harveys Meat Market. This photo is from the Bradford Womens Institute Scrapbooks.