Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Showing 27 results Archival description

27 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

10 and 12 Holland Street West - Compton's IGA

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HB-2017-03-28-03
  • Item
  • 1995

The mid-block building located at 10 and 12 Holland St. West was built in the Ontario Vernacular style around 1872-1899. The two-storey, commercial, detached ‘row’ building had a narrow rectangular plan with an asymmetrical organization. ‘Main str...

Nancy Smith

18 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HB-2017-03-28-20-2017-03-28-21
  • Part
  • 1996

The structure located at 18 Holland St. West is a unique, infill building. It was built in the Boomtown style around the 1890’s on a narrow lot that was originally a laneway the two adjacent buildings. It had a side entrance to the Queen’s Hotel s...

Nancy Smith

29, 31 and 33 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-29-01
  • Item
  • 1995

The structure located at 29 Holland St. West was vacant for many years. Howard Bowser bought and restored it as a shop with living quarters upstairs. Ted and Audrey Gapp lived here for a number of years. Helen Bantam ran a ladies’ shop downstairs ...

Nancy Smith

12 and 16 Holland Street West - Sutherland's Grocery

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-28-04
  • Item
  • 1995

Sutherland’s Grocery Store was once found at 12 Holland St. West (site of Karen’s and Tina’s Flowers in this 1995 photo). Alec Sutherland was a baker. He had a bakeshop on the south side of Simcoe St. that was run for many years by his daughter Je...

Nancy Smith

26 Holland Street West - Gardner's Hardware building

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HB-2017-03-28-26
  • Item
  • 1995

This building is located at 26 Holland St. West. H.F.S. Gardner, his wife Bertha, and children Tom and Ada (who was in a wheelchair) moved from Newmarket to this area in 1920. They opened a combination general and hardware store that sold clothing...

Janice Hopkins

65 and 67 Holland Street West - Standard Bank

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HB-2017-04-01-01
  • Item
  • 1995

The Standard Bank is located at 65 and 67 Holland St. West. It was built in the Romanesque Revival style around 1860-1900. O.M. Seim, previous owner of the Bradford Witness newspaper (1916-1932), and his family (Gordon, Ken, Marjorie, Maurice and ...

Nancy Smith

4 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-28-02
  • Item
  • 1997

The original building located at 4 Holland St. West (on the southwest corner of Holland and Simcoe Streets) was built in the 1840’s and was situated on land originally owned by James Drury. He was one of the early immigrants who reached Upper Cana...

Janice Hopkins

92 Holland Street West - Bertha Sinclair's House

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-01-04-2017-04-01-05
  • Part
  • 1995

Miss Sinclair’s House is a mid-block building located on the south side at 92 Holland Street West. It was built in the 1890’s in the Italianate style. Miss Bertha Sinclair lived in this house for many years. When she died, her nieces Kay and Isabe...

Nancy Smith

185 Holland Street West - The Turner House

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-01-09
  • Item
  • 1996

The Turner House is located at 185 Holland Street West (on the northwest corner of Holland and Toronto Streets). It was built in the 1880’s in the Eclectic Gothic Revival style. The two-storey, ‘L’-shaped building has an asymmetrical façade. The g...

Nancy Smith

120 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-01-08
  • Item
  • 1995

The building located at 120 Holland St. West in this photo from 1995 replaces one built by Watson (a cement block and sidewalk builder) just before, or during, WWI. That structure had a barn and shed for stock and chickens at the back. The Slothin...

Janice Hopkins

Results 1 to 10 of 27