Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Showing 16 results Archival description

Only digital objects

29, 31 and 33 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-29-01
  • Item
  • 1995

The structure located at 29 Holland St. West was vacant for many years. Howard Bowser bought and restored it as a shop with living quarters upstairs. Ted and Audrey Gapp lived here for a number of years. Helen Bantam ran a ladies’ shop downstairs ...

Nancy Smith

52 Simcoe Road

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-21-08
  • Item
  • 1995

The mid-block building located at 52 Simcoe Road was built post-1900 (1902?) in the Gothic Revival Cottage style. The house, which is larger than other older cottages of a similar style in Bradford, was built on property owned by Charles Adams. Or...

Nancy Smith

27 Simcoe Road

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-21-02
  • Item
  • 1995

Alex Sutherland’s bakeshop was located at 27 Simcoe Road for many years. It was later sold to Howard Bowser. Howard converted it into a rental dwelling. The building was eventually owned by a market gardener who had a cement garage and storage bui...

Janice Hopkins

223 Simcoe Road

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-21-17
  • Item
  • 1995

This two-storey, frame and cement-clad house is located south of the “Y” at 223 Simcoe Road. Mr. Bruce bought this house and the land (which extended south to the town limits and over the canal) many years ago. A marsh laneway ran east and there w...

Janice Hopkins

47 and 49 Simcoe Road

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-21-07
  • Item
  • 1996

The mid-block building located at 47/49 Simcoe Road was built around 1830-1860 in the Neoclassical Duplex style. Originally, there was a long, one-storey, frame house located at this site. It had a verandah on the northwest side, a picket fence al...

Nancy Smith

Hydro Sub. John E./Nelson St.

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-05-06
  • Item
  • 1995-1996

The first hydro substation in Bradford was located on Nelson St. (south of John St. East). It was built in 1916 (or 1918) by Tom and Len Saint on a small piece of property owned by the foundry on Holland Street. (1, 2) Please contact the Bradford ...

Janice Hopkins

11 and 13 Holland Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-24-05
  • Item
  • 1995

There was a vacant lot located at 11 Holland St. East after the big fire of 1871. Dennis Nolan built an addition to his Model T Ford dealership (located at 9 Holland St. E.) on this vacant lot. Len Saint used cement to build the new structure and ...

Joe Saint

143 Barrie Street

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-14-02-2017-03-14-03
  • Part
  • 1996

This is the front view of the house located mid-block on the east side at 143 Barrie Street. It was the last house built by Art, Tom and Len Saint after WWI. The building was constructed in 1925 in the Arts and Crafts style. It became the home of ...

Nancy Smith

37 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-29-02
  • Item
  • 1995

This two-storey, solid-brick building is located on the north side at 37 Holland St. West (on the corner of Holland and Moore Streets). It has been the site of several businesses, including Western Tire, Municipal Savings and Loan, and a grocery s...

Janice Hopkins

21 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-28-22
  • Item
  • 1995

The structure located at 21 Holland St. West is part of what is known as the Evans Block. The building was raised and Len Saint added a cellar and a foundation. It was originally a store with living quarters upstairs. The work was done by Mac Camp...

Janice Hopkins

Results 1 to 10 of 16