"At the first conference of employees in the Consumer and Commercial Relations Ministry, the Honourable Sidney Handleman presented a survey of consumer attitudes taken in North Bay recently. Aside from revealing that the vast majority of consumer protection law, the most startling revelation concerns the attitude of young people towards the business. That concerns me. It should concern small business people even more. What is even more startling is the result of the question, "How much profit out of each dollar do you think food chains make after taxes"? The answers covered the gambit from nothing to $2. One food chain in its 1976 annual report stated that "earnings per dollar of sales were less that 8-10 of a cent, compared with one cent per dollar in the same period last year..."
"This week's historical photo was submitted by Lew Campbell of RR 2, Bradford, whose father, W.L. Campbell (behind the counter) operated the drug store on Holland Street now occupied Ritchie's Variety Store. Fred C. Cook, standing in front of the counter, worked for Mr. Campbell for several years, intending to become a druggist. But he went into the insurance business instead. Mr. Campbell owned the drug store in Bradford for 57 years. He graduated from the Ontario College of Pharmacy in 1891, a silver medalist in his class."
Dimock's Garage was an important business in Bradford in the early 1930's when this photo was taken. Harold Iceton, who submitted the photo writes: "Mrs. Al Dimock, affectionately known as Minnie to her many friends (gave me this photo). The photo dates back to 1931 when Albert Dimock first started up business in Bradford with his young son Hedley. They were soon joined by his wife Minnie and daughter Eileen. This building has now been demolished and replaced by the Royal Bank Building.
"If CN has its way, the last real contact Bradford has with the railway will be gone soon when the train station is either sold or torn down. The railway was an integral part of the community when this photo was taken in 1939. Submitted by Wilbert Mulliss of Bradford, it shows Percy Stephenson, an express clerk at CN who delivered parcels to and from the train station and the post office. Stephenson, who was Mulliss' uncle, posed for this hot on Barrie Street with John Street West in the background. The old Model 'A' truck was owned by CN, and Stephenson worked for CN's agent in town, George Green, an insurance agent and former town clerk."
"This week's photo, courtesy of the Bradford Fire Department, depicts the fire in February of 1959 which destroyed a large block of the downtown section, from Evans and Evans to the police department. The fire swept through several businesses, unprotected by fire walls. Firefighters from five arena departments battled almost 20 hours to quell the stubborn blaze which caused an estimated $500,000 damage. This week's photo was suggested by Ernest and Lola Peterman of Bradford who sent in a newspaper clipping of the fire."
"Chamber of Commerce President George Allison explained the set up of this year's Bradford Salad Festival Committee to a gathering of more than 50 representatives from local, civic and service organizations during a dinner meeting at Toby's Restaurant last week. This year, the Chamber of Commerce is acting as an umbrella organization for the event. This year's Salad Festival will be held on the July 18, 19 weekend."
"Arthur Evans, retired MPP for Simcoe Centre, has been appointed as investment counsellor with the Municipal Savings and Loan Corporation in Barrie. The president of the company, Maxwell L. Rotsetin, announced the appointment."
"The South Simcoe Plowing Match held Friday, September 20 was a complete success even though only two horse teams were entered, all other categories were based on tractor pulled plows. Anthony Featherstone of Milliken is shown here with his prize winning team of greys. He came second in the plowing competition."
"The Pine River, as it flows through Dufferin and Simcoe Counties on its way to the Nottawasaga River and Georgian Bay, has an illustrious history dating to the 1820's. With in Mulmur Township in the County of Dufferin, on the Niagra Escarpment, the Ministry of Natural Resources acquired 190 acres of the Pine River Valley in 1971. Parts of this property were first acquired from the Crown in 1836, 1839 and 1874. Most of the land remained dormant during the years when the surrounding townships were settled. Only a portion of the area was cleared in the 1800's. The rest of the property remained carpeted with virgin timber until the Dufferin Light and Power Company began clearing the area while constructing the power dam..."