Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Showing 16 results Archival description

16 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

10 and 12 Holland Street West - Compton's IGA

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HB-2017-03-28-03
  • Item
  • 1995

The mid-block building located at 10 and 12 Holland St. West was built in the Ontario Vernacular style around 1872-1899. The two-storey, commercial, detached ‘row’ building had a narrow rectangular plan with an asymmetrical organization. ‘Main str...

Nancy Smith

2 Holland Street East - The Village Inn

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-24-02
  • Item
  • 1995

The Village Inn is located at 2 Holland St. East (on the corner of Holland and Simcoe Streets). There had been a hotel located at this site before the great fire of 1871. The building in this photo (1995) was built in 1920 in the Ontario Vernacula...

Nancy Smith

5 and 9 Holland Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-24-03
  • Item
  • 1995

The building located at 5 Holland St. East (near the northeast corner of Holland and Barrie Streets) has solid-brick construction. The office of veterinarian Dr. Stephenson (who lived on Queen Street across from the public school) was on the groun...

Janice Hopkins

15 and 19 Holland Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-24-06
  • Item
  • 1995

The building located at 15 Holland St. East was bought by Harold Boyd many years ago. He ran a pool room on the ground floor on the west side. He added a second floor above the pool room for living quarters. Jack Pong owned a restaurant on the eas...

Janice Hopkins

23/25 and 27 Holland Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-24-07
  • Item
  • 1995

The buildings shown in this photo are located at 21, 23, 25 and 27 Holland St. East. One of the buildings in this row was once a bakery and confectionary owned by Jack Madil. There were two ovens in the rear and a barn at the back of the property....

Janice Hopkins

1 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-28-01
  • Item
  • 1997

The building located at 1 Holland St. West was originally built as a hotel (Central Hotel, Uneeda Hotel, H. Hulse Hotel). Tom and Len Saint worked on the construction of the building. George Webb ran the hotel for a while before he moved to Saskat...

Janice Hopkins

12 and 16 Holland Street West - Sutherland's Grocery

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-28-04
  • Item
  • 1995

Sutherland’s Grocery Store was once found at 12 Holland St. West (site of Karen’s and Tina’s Flowers in this 1995 photo). Alec Sutherland was a baker. He had a bakeshop on the south side of Simcoe St. that was run for many years by his daughter Je...

Nancy Smith

21 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-28-22
  • Item
  • 1995

The structure located at 21 Holland St. West is part of what is known as the Evans Block. The building was raised and Len Saint added a cellar and a foundation. It was originally a store with living quarters upstairs. The work was done by Mac Camp...

Janice Hopkins

23 and 27 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-28-25
  • Item
  • 1995

The building located at 23 Holland St. West may have been owned by George Stoddart Jr. at one time. It had living quarters upstairs. The ground floor once housed a bank (possibly the Imperial Bank) and there was a large vault in the back. The mana...

Janice Hopkins

30 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-28-27
  • Item
  • 1995

The building located at 30 Holland St. West (on the southeast corner of Holland and Drury Streets) has been the site of many businesses, including Bradford Travel (as seen in this photo from 1995). Many years previously, George Ogilvie, a tailor, ...

Janice Hopkins

Results 1 to 10 of 16