37 Holland Street East
- CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-25-02
The mid-block building located at 37 Holland St. East was built in the Gothic Revival style in the 1880-1890’s. Originally, the left side on the ground floor contained an office occupied by grain buyers. It had a front door and a small window. The...
1 Holland Street West
- CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-28-01
The building located at 1 Holland St. West was originally built as a hotel (Central Hotel, Uneeda Hotel, H. Hulse Hotel). Tom and Len Saint worked on the construction of the building. George Webb ran the hotel for a while before he moved to Saskat...
23 and 27 Holland Street West
- CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-28-25
The building located at 23 Holland St. West may have been owned by George Stoddart Jr. at one time. It had living quarters upstairs. The ground floor once housed a bank (possibly the Imperial Bank) and there was a large vault in the back. The mana...
29, 31 and 33 Holland Street West
- CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-29-01
The structure located at 29 Holland St. West was vacant for many years. Howard Bowser bought and restored it as a shop with living quarters upstairs. Ted and Audrey Gapp lived here for a number of years. Helen Bantam ran a ladies’ shop downstairs ...
30 Holland Street West
- CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-28-27
The building located at 30 Holland St. West (on the southeast corner of Holland and Drury Streets) has been the site of many businesses, including Bradford Travel (as seen in this photo from 1995). Many years previously, George Ogilvie, a tailor, ...
38 Holland Street West - Collings Furniture & Undertaking
- CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-29-03-2017-03-29-05
The structure located at 38 Holland St. West (on the southwest corner of Holland and Drury Streets) was built around 1900 in the Ontario Vernacular style. B.B. “Ben” Collings lived upstairs with his wife (a Waldruff), and children Bernice, Kathlee...
28 Barrie Street Becker's Store
- CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-07-05
The southwest corner of John and Barrie Streets, which is now recognized as 28 Barrie St., was a vacant lot for many years. When Highway 11 was widened, Allan (Wink) Crake built a service station here. Bill Aikens ran it until his death during WWI...
Four Corners in Bradford
- CA BWGPL LHC-BraPh-Store-PH11508
Looking north west in Bradford at the intersection of Holland Street and Yonge Street.
This is the northwest corner of the main intersection in Bradford. This building was first known as the Innis House. In 1906, it was called the Central Hotel, a...
Studied mining, now running store
- CA BWGPL GJ-SB 76-PH26886
"Gordon Compton, who owns the Bradford IGA, was born in London, Ontario, where his father ran the local A and P store. Gord's family moved around quite a bit from the time he was born in 1933, until they settled in Bradford. His father owned the o...
10 and 12 Holland Street West - Compton's IGA
- CA BWGPL GJ-HB-2017-03-28-03
The mid-block building located at 10 and 12 Holland St. West was built in the Ontario Vernacular style around 1872-1899. The two-storey, commercial, detached ‘row’ building had a narrow rectangular plan with an asymmetrical organization. ‘Main str...