Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Showing 25 results Archival description

25 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

10 and 12 Holland Street West - Compton's IGA

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HB-2017-03-28-03
  • Item
  • 1995

The mid-block building located at 10 and 12 Holland St. West was built in the Ontario Vernacular style around 1872-1899. The two-storey, commercial, detached ‘row’ building had a narrow rectangular plan with an asymmetrical organization. ‘Main str...

Nancy Smith

Barron's Hardware sold after 45 years

  • CA BWGPL GJ-SB 77-PH26808
  • Item
  • 1977-02-09

"Norm Barron, owner of Barron's Dominion Hardware, has retired after 32 years in the hardware business. The store was founded by Norm's father Harry Barron in 1932 in a location now occupied by John Gaus Interiors and N.S. Smith Real Estate. The e...

George Jackson

Mayor Gordon will open store

  • CA BWGPL GJ-SB 77-PH26827
  • Item
  • 1977-03-30

"Mayor Roy Gordon will be on hand tomorrow (Thursday) at 10 a.m. at Stedman's on Holland Street west to "re-open" that store in a ribbon-cutting ceremony. New owner Cliff King took over the Bradford commercial landmark February 7 from Ron Bannerma...

George Jackson

Studied mining, now running store

  • CA BWGPL GJ-SB 76-PH26886
  • Item
  • 1976-01-28

"Gordon Compton, who owns the Bradford IGA, was born in London, Ontario, where his father ran the local A and P store. Gord's family moved around quite a bit from the time he was born in 1933, until they settled in Bradford. His father owned the o...

Bradford Witness

Four Corners in Bradford

  • CA BWGPL LHC-BraPh-Store-PH11508
  • Item

Looking north west in Bradford at the intersection of Holland Street and Yonge Street. This is the northwest corner of the main intersection in Bradford. This building was first known as the Innis House. In 1906, it was called the Central Hotel, a...

George Jackson

15 and 19 Holland Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-24-06
  • Item
  • 1995

The building located at 15 Holland St. East was bought by Harold Boyd many years ago. He ran a pool room on the ground floor on the west side. He added a second floor above the pool room for living quarters. Jack Pong owned a restaurant on the eas...

Janice Hopkins

29, 31 and 33 Holland Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-29-01
  • Item
  • 1995

The structure located at 29 Holland St. West was vacant for many years. Howard Bowser bought and restored it as a shop with living quarters upstairs. Ted and Audrey Gapp lived here for a number of years. Helen Bantam ran a ladies’ shop downstairs ...

Nancy Smith

12 and 16 Holland Street West - Sutherland's Grocery

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-28-04
  • Item
  • 1995

Sutherland’s Grocery Store was once found at 12 Holland St. West (site of Karen’s and Tina’s Flowers in this 1995 photo). Alec Sutherland was a baker. He had a bakeshop on the south side of Simcoe St. that was run for many years by his daughter Je...

Nancy Smith

5 and 9 Holland Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-24-03
  • Item
  • 1995

The building located at 5 Holland St. East (near the northeast corner of Holland and Barrie Streets) has solid-brick construction. The office of veterinarian Dr. Stephenson (who lived on Queen Street across from the public school) was on the groun...

Janice Hopkins

32 Holland Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-25-01
  • Item
  • 1995

Ed Cave built the flat-roofed, cement building located at 32 Holland St. East. It was originally used as a milk creamery. Around 1934, Cousins Dairy (from Aurora) took over and put Roy in charge. A restaurant was added at the front that was run by...

Janice Hopkins

Results 1 to 10 of 25