"Firefighters battle stubborn 7-hour blaze which ripped through industrial complex last Friday afternoon
On April 28, 1988 at approximately 2:20 p.m., a major fire broke out in an industrial complex on Bridge Street (Hwy. 11) in the Town of Bradford, which necessitated the closing of Hwy. 11 both northbound and southbound for a period of six hours." ...
This article relates to the fire of Bradford on June 24th, 1862, which originated in an unknown stable in the main city sector. There is no lasting record of a newspaper published during the week of the fire.
On Friday morning last [June 27th], Corner Allen, with a Jury, held an inquiry into the causes of the late fire. About a dozen witnesses were examined, after which the jury returned the following verdict: 'We, the Jury empannelled to inquire into the causes or origin of the fire that occurred in this village on the night of the 24th [June] inst., having heard the testimony brought before us, are of the opinion that such fire originated through accident, whose cause is unknown to this Jury. -A.S. Warburton, Foreman' No evidence was adduced to show that there was either a candle or lamp in the stable on the evening in question."
An article about a highly destructive fire that swept through Holland Street, destroying multiple buildings, businesses and homes. The original article appeared in the May 22nd, 1871 edition of the Toronto Daily Telegraph and was reprinted in 1901 as part of the "Looking Backward" series.
This receipt was received in a donation by Bill Marks on December 14, 2016. The front page of this receipt shows the income/business taxes of Henry Harman, 10 John Street, in 1912. The back of the receipt shows Henry's calculations when he filled it out.
A page of Bradford business ads from 1933. Includes: Willson's Men's Wear Store, Nolan Motor Sales, Wm. Semenuk Electrical - Plumbing, Douglas Hardware, Bradford Flour Mills, L. J. McConkey & Son Supplies, Sutton's Hardware, Colly's Smoke Shop, Campbell's Drug Store, The Mercantile Co., Harry Barron Plumbing - Tinsmithing - Electrical, Melbourne Transport Service, Bradford Witness Print Services. Ads appeared in the March 1, 1933 issue of the Bradford Witness.
"The town of Bradford is undergoing a bit of a mini-Renaissance. It's not just the Home Depot now under construction and due to open this summer, the planned Loblaw and new LCBO outlet that will be built on Holland St. west of Melbourne Drive. It's not just the banners displaying the Town's official flower, the Black-eyed Susan; or the new Sesquicentennial banners for Bradford's 150th birthday; or the flowering beds, or the new additions to both High Schools. There is also the return of businesses seriously damaged by fire in 2006 - F.K. Textiles, the 88 & 11 Convenience Store, and Annit "a" Haircut - and a number of new stores and ventures that have opened, including Condy Books, on Barrie St. On top of that, a growing number of established businesses in the community are celebrating the success of their enterprises, with Anniversary celebrations - from the 1st Anniversary of Dutch Treats, the Dutch Store and Deli at 15 Holland St. east; to the 29th Anniversary of Joella's Jewellery & Gifts, 32nd Anniversary of Bradford Rental Sales & Service, to one of the oldest businesses in Town: Spence TIM-BR Mart, now in its 98th year of service. In this Sesquicentennial year, that's something to celebrate."
Description : These days, there are very few businesses that have been around for 100 years. The Bradford law firm of Evans and Evans is one of those few. Founded in 1894 by T.W.W. Evans, the firm was augmented by his sons, Charles and Brock in the 1920s. Today, "Evans and Evans' refers to grandsons Thomas and Robert. On Thursday, the law firm, which has been in the same building for more than 75 years, opened its doors to family, friends, clients and celebrated its first 100 years. There were photos on display that not only chronicled the history of the Evans family, but the history of Bradford and West Gwillimburry, from turn-of-the-century lacrosse teams, to Bradford's centennial celebrations in 1957, to the sod turning for the new library and West Gwillimbury Administration centre.
Image of an invoice from A. Sutherland Grocery on Holland Street. The invoice is dated June 12th, 1926 and to Hazel Campbell. Alexander Sutherland also operated a bakery on Simcoe Road. His wife, Elizabeth was the sister of Bessie Campbell (wife of William Campbell).