Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Showing 8 results Archival description

8 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Animal Footprint

  • CA BWGPL AR-2018-11-20-02
  • Item
  • 1994

An animal footprint in a building brick. The brick is displayed on a wood mount with a gold plaque. The item was recovered by Bill Patton during the demolition of the Convent in August 1994.

Bill Patton

Convent demolition

  • CA BWGPL WEG-Arch-2016-12-19-09
  • Part
  • 1994-08

Photograph of the Convent demolition

Bill Marks

Convent demolition to start this week

  • CA BWGPL WEG-Arch-PH26598
  • Item
  • 1994

"Demolition of the old convent on Barrie Street was scheduled to begin this week. The site, north of Frederick Street, will be the home of a new multi-service facility. When it's done in March 1995, it will be 15,000 square feet in size and will a...

Rod Urquhart

History of Bradford's Grand Old Lady

  • CA BWGPL WEG-Arch-OS8412-PH25358
  • Part
  • 1988-06-28

"Whatever becomes of this grand old lady, her colourful history will not be soon forgotten. When the Recreation Facilities Committee was formed consisting of Chairperson Ann Currie, Jim Culbert, Steve Boland, Ellen MacKenzey, Bill Germayne and Sh...

Bradford Gazette

Lukes' house / Convent

  • CA BWGPL WEG-Arch-PH268
  • Item
  • 1930

This was the home of Sam and Gilbert Lukes. It was originally built by John MacLean Stevenson in 1876. It was sold, first to Robert Bingham in 1877, then to James Boddy in 1894(?) who named it "Fairview". Later, after a number of other sales, it ...

Lewis Campbell

Samuel Lukes' House / The Convent

  • CA BWGPL WEG-Arch-OS8412
  • Item
  • 1961

This home was most known for the Lukes' residents, Samuel and his son, Gilbert. It was originally built by John MacLean Stevenson in 1876. It was sold, first to Robert Bingham in 1877, then to James Boddy in 1893 who named it "Fairview". After les...

The Convent restoration crew

  • CA BWGPL WEG-Chu-OS8700
  • Item

Remodelling of the Convent when Mr. Oscar Lukes moved into it. Pictured are: Peters, Lorne Church, Oscar Lukes, Gib Lukes, Tom Saint, Len Saint, Bill Davey, Fred Collings

Working to Preserve Convent's History

  • CA BWGPL WEG-Arch-OS8412-PH25356
  • Part
  • 1987-03-08

Working to Preserve Convent's History Bradford - A lot of people are interested in seeing the empty building known as the old convent on Barrie Street saved, says one Bradford resident who is determined to do his part. Jim Culbert, known to thos...

Bradford Weekly