Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Showing 21 results Archival description

21 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

108 Moore Street

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-07-11
  • Item
  • 1995

The stately house located at 108 Moore Street (on the northwest corner of Moore and Frederick Streets) was built around 1880 in the Eclectic Gothic Revival style. Originally, it was the home of the Andrew Thompson family. He was the owner of a har...

Nancy Smith

149 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-06-06
  • Item
  • 1995

The property located at 149 John St. West was once the site of a small, one-storey frame building with shiplap siding. It had a shed at the rear. Mr. Robinson lived here. He was crippled and played the violin on his knees. He particularly loved to...

Janice Hopkins

23 and 25 John Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-04-04
  • Item
  • 1996

This mid-block structure is located at 23 and 25 John St. East. It was built around 1830-1860 in the Neoclassical Duplex style. Lewis Algeo, one of the first Irish settlers in West Gwillimbury and a retired farmer, once lived in the west side of t...

Nancy Smith

44 Drury Street

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-20-07
  • Item
  • 1995

The one-storey house once located on the west side at 44 Drury St. had stucco cladding originally. Many years ago it was the home of Fred McKay, his wife, and son (Bruce). Fred was a retired farmer. He had noted gardens (asparagus, strawberries, r...

Janice Hopkins

47 and 49 Simcoe Road

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-21-07
  • Item
  • 1996

The mid-block building located at 47/49 Simcoe Road was built around 1830-1860 in the Neoclassical Duplex style. Originally, there was a long, one-storey, frame house located at this site. It had a verandah on the northwest side, a picket fence al...

Nancy Smith

70 and 72 Simcoe Road

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-21-11
  • Item
  • 1995

The units located at 70 Simcoe Road (north side) and 72 Simcoe Road (south side) are part of an apartment building that was erected in 1980. The property was originally the site of a large, frame house that had a woodshed, chicken house, and a hor...

Janice Hopkins

89 John Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-04-18
  • Item
  • 1996

The mid-block building located at 89 John St. East is set well back from street. It was built around 1860-1880’s in the Ontario Vernacular Cottage style. John Edwin (or Harry) Cerswell, a retired gentleman, lived here at one time before selling th...

Nancy Smith

89 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-05-18
  • Item
  • 1995

This house was once located at 89 John St. West. It was probably built pre-Confederation and it was considered to be one the best examples of the Regency Cottage style of building in Bradford. The one-storey, stucco, square building had an additio...

Janice Hopkins

9 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-05-07
  • Item
  • 1995

The building seen in this photo (from 1995) was once located on the north side at 9 John St. West. It was a long, one-storey, frame house with a verandah on the south side and a small porch on the east side (facing Barrie Street). Dick Crake and h...

Janice Hopkins

Convent demolition

  • CA BWGPL WEG-Arch-2016-12-19-08
  • Part
  • 1994-08

Photograph of the Convent demolition

Bill Marks

Results 1 to 10 of 21