Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Showing 12 results Archival description

12 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

112 and 114 James Street

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-01-17
  • Item
  • 1995

This building is located at 112 and 114 James Street. (1)

Janice Hopkins

129 James Street - The Old Presbyterian Manse

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-01-20
  • Item
  • 1995

The Old Presbyterian Manse is located at 129 James St. (on the northeast corner of James and Essa Streets). It was built around 1875 in the Neoclassical style. It was being used as a manse at the turn of the century and has since been converted in...

Nancy Smith

13 and 15 John Street West

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-05-08
  • Item
  • 1995

The mid-block duplex located at 13 and 15 John St. West was built pre-1900 in the Neoclassical Duplex style. During the 1920’s, the building was moved back from the street and onto new concrete foundations that were built by Leonard Saint. The bui...

Nancy Smith

147 and 149 James Street

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-01-22
  • Item
  • 1996

The mid-block building located at 147 and 149 James St. was built pre-1900 in the Ontario Vernacular style. The 1½-storey duplex has a medium-pitched, gable roof, a simple form, and a central entrance. An existing projecting, (enclosed) entrance p...

Nancy Smith

23 and 25 John Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-04-04
  • Item
  • 1996

This mid-block structure is located at 23 and 25 John St. East. It was built around 1830-1860 in the Neoclassical Duplex style. Lewis Algeo, one of the first Irish settlers in West Gwillimbury and a retired farmer, once lived in the west side of t...

Nancy Smith

31/33 Bingham Street

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-17-06
  • Item
  • 1995

The mid-block building located at 31/33 Bingham St. was built around 1880 in the Neoclassical Duplex style. George “Duke” Lowe built and rented the north half (31), and he and his family lived in the south half (33). He was a farmer who raised cow...

Nancy Smith

35-37 Bingham Street

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-17-07
  • Item
  • 1995

The two-storey building (with a cellar) located at 35 and 37 Bingham St. (on the northeast corner of Bingham and Centre Streets) was built by Sam Bernick many years ago. He bought the small lot from George “Duke” Lowe. (1, 2)

Joe Saint

43/45 Drury Street

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-03-20-06
  • Item
  • 1996

The mid-block building located at 43 and 45 Drury St. was built in the Neoclassical Duplex style in the 1860-1880’s. Leonard Saint bought the building in 1909 from Mrs. Garrett (mother of E. Garrett who owned the Bradford Witness newspaper). Len w...

Nancy Smith

47 and 49 Simcoe Road

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-21-07
  • Item
  • 1996

The mid-block building located at 47/49 Simcoe Road was built around 1830-1860 in the Neoclassical Duplex style. Originally, there was a long, one-storey, frame house located at this site. It had a verandah on the northwest side, a picket fence al...

Nancy Smith

70 and 72 John Street East

  • CA BWGPL GJ-HistBuilding-2017-04-04-13
  • Item
  • 1995

The structure located at 70 and 72 John St. East is a double, T-shaped, frame house once owned by Jim Spence (the former owner of the Spence Lumber Company). Jim and his children, Minnie (Hammel) and Alex, lived on the east side of the building (...

Janice Hopkins

Results 1 to 10 of 12