Showing 25 results

Archival description
Ted Gapp
Print preview View:

21 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

15 and 19 Holland Street East

The building located at 15 Holland St. East was bought by Harold Boyd many years ago. He ran a pool room on the ground floor on the west side. He added a second floor above the pool room for living quarters. Jack Pong owned a restaurant on the east side of the building in the 1930’s. (1, 2)
The two-storey, brick and cement building located at 19 Holland St. East was owned at one time by George Simpkins. He ran a plumbing, heating, electrical, and eavestroughing company upstairs. There was a show room downstairs and the east side was a workshop. George and his family lived on Moore St. across from Joseph Street. Ethel Gapp was his bookkeeper, Ted Gapp was his electrician, and George Manton did the heating work. They drove for miles around the country in a Model T truck. Harry Barron bought the business in the 1930’s and kept the same workmen. Then the business was moved to the southwest corner of Holland and Simcoe Streets. (1, 2)

George Jackson

29, 31 and 33 Holland Street West

The structure located at 29 Holland St. West was vacant for many years. Howard Bowser bought and restored it as a shop with living quarters upstairs. Ted and Audrey Gapp lived here for a number of years. Helen Bantam ran a ladies’ shop downstairs and lived upstairs. She may have bought it from Bowser. At the time of this photo (1995), it was a barber shop.
The building located at 31 and 33 Holland St. West (on the northeast corner of Holland and Moore Streets) was built around 1880 in the Ontario Vernacular style. It was constructed on the site of the former Edmanson Bakery (33 Holland St. West). The bakery was the origin of the big fire on May 23, 1871 that destroyed much of downtown Bradford. E.P. Snow had a harness and saddle shop at 31 Holland St. West for many years. He lived on the north side of John Street. Later it was bought by Secondo Cavallo, who ran a shoemaking business at this location. He lived on the south side of John Street. Cavallo’s daughter (Aida) ran the business for a few years and then it was sold. Lash Davey and Bill ran a butcher shop at 33 Holland St. West for several years. They had a slaughter house on Piccadilly Hill (Simcoe St. South). James Webb, a butcher and lacrosse player, later ran his shop here. Webb was joined by his son Jim, who eventually took over the business and employed Harold Boyd. Jim originally had an ice house at the back of the property. A freezer locker was built later by Len Saint at the back. The building and business were eventually owned for many years by the Pezzanitti family.
The one-storey, commercial, semi-detached ‘row’ building has a wide, rectangular plan with an asymmetrical organization. There is “Main Street” frontage with a typical, storefront façade located at the street line. A plain façade is characterized by a high, flat, ‘boomtown’ façade with brick dentils. The two-bay façade is dominated above the storefronts by an applied, pressed- metal cornice with stone brackets at each end. Existing doors and storefronts are not original. Wide, glass, storefront windows with stone sills are also not original. The building has masonry construction with brick cladding, a stone foundation, and a flat, built-up tar and gravel roof. According to the 2000 inventory, the modest building is in good condition. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

"3 Gala Days" - Bradford 1933

This photograph was published in the Toronto Star, and features (l-r) Ben Collings, Tom Bell and Ted Gapp. The photograph was submitted to the Star from Mrs. Gould, Newmarket, ON.

Toronto Star

44 John Street East

The mid-block structure located at 44 John St. East was built pre-1900 in Amsterdam (on the east side of the Holland River) in the Ontario Vernacular style. It was later moved to this site. This house was once the home of George Ogilvie, a tailor on Holland Street. He had moved here from Bond Head. After his death, it became the home of Dave Ogilvie and his family. When the house was remodeled, the bathroom was redone and stuccoed by Dick Saint, the carpentry work was done by Art Saint, the plumbing was done by Oswald Davey, and Ted Gapp did the wiring.
The two-storey, two-bay house has a rectangular plan with a side hall, an asymmetrical façade, and a medium-pitched, hip roof. An enclosed, entrance porch with a truncated, hip roof is raised slightly above grade. It has a single door and windows on three sides. The porch appears to be a later addition. The house has small window openings, double-hung windows (not original), and plain, wood trim and sills. Wood frame construction is covered with vinyl siding and there is a parged, stone foundation. The original cladding was probably wood. According to the 2000 inventory, the house has few building elements (other than the form) that appear to be original. It also notes that the house probably had few decorative details originally. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

98 Essa Street

This building is located at 98 Essa Street (on property that was owned by Miss Hill many years ago). The structure later became the home of Ted Gapp. (1)

George Jackson

Bradford Baseball Team

Bradford Baseball team 1947-1948.
Back Row (l-r): Steve Simone, Art Kneeshaw, Art Evans, Ernie James, Ken Tupling, Leighton Giffen, Ross Clubine, George Carson, Roger Giffen, Joe Magani.
Front Row (l-r): Jack Gardner, Bus Carter, Floyd MacDonald, Bob Fallis, Roy Collings, Mac Tobias, Ted Gapp.

Bradford fire chief, wife celebrate 40th anniversary

"A number of friends were on hand last Sunday afternoon to help Edward (Ted) gapp and Audrey Gapp celebrate 40 years of marriage.
A reception was held at the Bradford firehall for the Gapp's. It was a fitting location because Mr. Gapp has been the chief of the town's volunteer fire department for many years.
The Gapp's were married on October 2, 1935 and have spent their entire married life in Bradford. In addition to his involvement with the fire department, Mr. gapp works as caretaker of the town hall.
Mr. gapp has lived in Bradford since he came to Canada at the age of seven with his parents. He was born and lived his early years in England.
The guests enjoyed tea and coffee with the Gapp's. The head table was decorated with a beautiful flower arrangement.
As chief of the fire department, Mr. Gapp has seen the addition of more equipment and particularly a new pumper truck earlier this year. The truck was provided by West Gwillimbury Township to permit better service to the township.
Mr. and Mrs. Gapp said the recent weather is very similar to that of 40 years ago. "Our wedding day was much like today," Mr. Gapp said Sunday. "It was cool and foggy in the morning but once the sun burned it off, it was a beautiful day." "

Bradford Lacrosse Team

Back Row (l-r): Jim Webb Jr., Walter Reeves, Ollie Robinson, Joe Evans, Ted Gapp, Jack Busby, Dr. Lewis H. Campbell, Jim Webb Sr., T. W. W. Evans (president). Front Row (l-r): Lorne Church, Fred Bennett, Fred "Colly" Collings, George Webb, Harry Gapp, Eddie Armstrong.

Bradford Lacrosse Team at Hamilton Stadium

Photograph of the 1923 Bradford Lacrosse team on August 25, 1923 at Hamilton Stadium.

Photograph of team members, including Dr. Lewis H. Campbell (5th from left in back row), Ollie Robinson (8th from left in back row), Walter Reeves (3rd from left in back row with hat on), Fred "Colly" Collings (Far right in back row) and Ted Gapp.

Bill Marks

Cook, Fred obituary

Event Date : Thursday, April 24, 1975
Event Type : Death

Description : Fred Cook, a man who for many years was a social and political influence in Bradford, died last Thursday in York County Hospital at 73. Mr. Cook was admitted to the hospital April 6 suffering from a heart attack. Funeral services were held in Trinity Anglican Church, Bradford, on Monday afternoon with the Rector, Rev. Jack House and Bishop Hunt, a lifelong friend of Mr. Cook, conducting the service. Hundreds of friends and associates gathered in the little church on Church St. that Fred Cook served so well. Mayor Joe Magani led a delegation of members of council and the town administrative staff. Many officials representing the various surrounding municipalities also attended the special funeral service.Reeve William Gibbins of Innisfil and Simcoe County Warden Edgar Currie and Reeve Orville Hughes of West Gwillimbury attended along with municipal, church and fraternal officials. Pallbearers included George Allison, Bradford Fire Chief Ted Gapp, Chief Constable John Dudgeon, Building Inspector Bert Magloughlen, Deputy Reeve Ken Wood and Ruston Folliott. Interment was in St. Paul's Cemetery, Coulson's Hill.During his 73 years, Fred Cook's life revolved around the town of his birth, Bradford.He was actively engaged in municipal politics and for more than 10 years served as the town's deputy reeve and representative on county council. In last year's election he decided to step down from the deputy reeve's chair. However, Mr. Cook did not leave the political scene and was successful in his bid to gain a council seat.Outside politics Fred Cook immersed himself in a number of community and social organizations. He was a lay reader in the Anglican Church from 1934 until his death and was involved in Christian education serving as Sunday School Superintendent for more than 45 years. In 1962 he received a citation from the Canadian Council of Churches' education department for his outstanding work. He was also a member of the Anglican Synod of the Diocese of Toronto. Mr. Cook was a member of the Simcoe Lodge #79 of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. At the time of his death he had achieved the 32nd Degree of the brotherhood. In his service to that organization, Mr. Cook served as district deputy grand master of the A.F. and A.M.'s district C". Mr. Cook also served at a grand master of the Orange Lodge for Ontario West and was a faithful member of Centennial Lodge LOL 209. Until 1957 Mr. Cook operated an insurance business in Bradford. Fred Cook is survived by his wife Leone, one sister Reta (Mrs. T. Gardner) of Bradford and one brother John of Windsor. Bradford Mayor Joe Magani commented on Mr. Cook's death saying: "It would take me hours to talk about Fred Cook. He will be very much missed on council. To me he was a real man and always a real gentleman on council. I served with him on council for 18 years and he was a great worker for the public and for the town. He did everything he could to satisfy the ratepayers at all times. He did a good job in finance. If ever I got stuck for words I could always turn to him for help."The mayor added: "He was a very beautiful man. It will take a long time to find another one like him."

Results 1 to 10 of 25