1132 Archival description results for West Gwillimbury
1132 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
- CA BWGPL OS9855
- November 1918
This image documents the 8th Canadian Field Ambulance at the time of the signing of the armistice ending WWI on November 11, 1918 and can be found in a war photograph album belonging to Lieutenant Colonel Ernest Raymond Selby. The photographs in the album are both original photographs taken by Dr. Selby and copies of official Canadian military photographs. Selby was born in and grew up in the Bradford West Gwillimbury area before moving to Calgary, Alberta. Many of the men pictured were awarded medals in recognition of honour and/or bravery.
Top Row: Sgt. Maguire, Sgt. F. E. Dutton, Cpl. Brewster, Sgt. Munis, Sgt. Davidson, R.S.M. Coward, R.S.M. G. Taylor, Staff-Sgt. Graydon, Sgt. Nash, Cpl. Tillett, Cpl. Guthrie, Sgt. Patience
Middle Row: Capt. R. M. Harvie, Capt. A. S. Lamb, Capt. D.C. Malcolm, Major W. G. Cosbie, Lt-Col. E. R. Selby, Major W. J. MacKensie, Capt. J. F. Sparrow, Capt. Knight, Capt. Christie
Bottom Row: Sgt. H. Hay, Sgt. Montgomery, Cpl. Clements, Sgt. Valiquet, Sgt. Wyers, Sgt. Cowan, Sgt. Coleman, Sgt. Holding, Cpl. Lean
Ernest Raymond Selby, Dr.
- CA BWGPL GJ-SB 77-PH26866
Part of George Jackson fonds
"Donna Ramsay (centre), this year's Salad Festival Queen, receives congratulations from the 1976 queen, Annette Grencer, as fellow contestant Nancy Bergeron (right) applauds. Donna, 18, was elected at the Salad Festival dance Saturday night in the Bradford community centre. She is the daughter of Don and Mary Ramsay of Concession 9, West Gwillimbury, and she plans a career in hotel management. The festival runs from Sunday, June 10, to Sunday, July 17."
- CA BWGPL LHC-Newsp-Arti-PH26641
Part of Local History Collection
Description : William Armson came to West Gwillimbury in 1820, from Nottingham, England. He served in the Britisharmy and had been decorated for outstanding service during the Peninsular Campaign of the Napoleonic Wars. In recognition of his military service, he was granted the 200 acre parcel described as Lot 5, Conc. 7 in West Gwillimbury, on the northwest corner of County Rd. 88 and Sideroad 5. At the farm gate, a Simcoe County Historical Plaque states, "William Armson - elected as the Township's first Councillor in 1843, appointed Warden in 1846, and first elected as Warden of Simcoe County in 1847. He served this position until 1852" - the longest-serving term for a Warden of the County. Armson played a leading role in establishing the County of Simcoe in the 1840s, and was the first Reeve of West Gwillimbury, in 1850. On his death, his son John took over the arm. The south half of the lot was sold to Robert Wood in 1881, and was in possession of the 3rd generation of the Wood family when it was recently sold to developers. The two families - the Armsons and the Woods - had owned this farm for 180 years. While the Armson home is of historical interest because William Armson lived there, it is also of architectural interest. Built in 1843, this farm home is the only two-storey mud block house in Simcoe County, and one of the few remaining mud block houses built in the Township. It was built as a full 2-storey in the prestigious "five over five bay front" style, with end gables and chimneys, and a wing on the rear. It is an excellent example of the impressive homes built in the mid-19th century. As evidenced by the photograph, the exterior - except for the modern window sash - remains largely original. Much of the interior detail is also original, and well-preserved. The remarkable and rare feature is the mud block method of construction. Clay, likely from the farm was mixed with straw in a mud puddle. The mixed mud was placed in moulds, and set out to dry. After baking in the sun, the blocks were removed from the moulds and laid out on boards to dry. This mud block building is and excellent example of the ingenuity of the pioneers in employing local building materials to build their new homes, as they became established in West Gwillimbury. The Armson-Wood house is a building that embodies both local and provincial heritage attributes, and is a wonderful part of the Heritage of Bradford West Gwillimbury.
Bradford West Gwillimbury Times
- CA BWGPL WEG-Sch-OS10297-2016-11-18-04
Part of WEGWHIST Collection
"Yesterday afternoon Mr. Geo. Stoddart met with a serious accident. He was working on the new school building at Middleton, and the scaffold on which he was standing at the time gave way precipitating him, and Mr. Fred McKay, to the ground a distance of about 25 feet. Mr. McKay escaped unhurt, while Mr. Stoddart sustained a broken leg at the ankle. The nature of the break is considered to be quite serious, and may mean amputation of the right foot."
- CA BWGPL VS-1900-15738
Part of Vital Statistics
Event Date : Wednesday, December 31, 1952
Event Type : Death
Description : Died at Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto, in his 42nd year. Beloved husband of Lillian Woodward, and dear father of Ronald, Ellen and Joshua. Service was held at the T. Kilkenny & Son Funeral Home, Simcoe St., Bradford. Interment in Mount Pleasant Cemetery.