Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Item 2017-03-17-06 - 31/33 Bingham Street

Identity area

Reference code

CA BWGPL GJ-HB-2017-03-17-06

Title

31/33 Bingham Street

Date(s)

  • 1995 (Creation)

Level of description

Item

Extent and medium

Photograph

Context area

Name of creator

George Jackson

Biographical history

Name of creator

Janice Hopkins

Biographical history

Name of creator

Joe Saint

Biographical history

Name of creator

Gillian Haley

Biographical history

Name of creator

Nancy Smith

Biographical history

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The mid-block building located at 31/33 Bingham St. was built around 1880 in the Neoclassical Duplex style. George “Duke” Lowe built and rented the north half (31), and he and his family lived in the south half (33). He was a farmer who raised cows and pastured them on a vacant lot on the south side of Centre Street. He also cut marsh hay, raised pigs, had an ice house, and delivered ice. He started the first garbage pick-up in Bradford. Ted Bulpit and his wife and son (Ted) lived at 31 Bingham St. for many years.
The six-bay structure with one-storey (narrow) rear wings is set close to the street. Unlike most Neoclassical buildings which have two storeys, this is only a single-storey dwelling. It has a shallow-pitched, gable roof and a formal, symmetrical façade. The slightly-raised entrances are paired in the centre of the façade and each one has a parged-stone entrance platform with steps. Both doors (not original) are set into high, segmented arch openings with glass transoms. The original glass has been replaced with a solid panel. This building has small window openings with low floor to ceiling heights. The front windows (with high sills) are set into segmented arch openings with plain, wood frames and sills. A 2/2 window at the far north end is original, but the other windows are more recent replacements. The shutters are not original. This building has brick, masonry construction with stucco cladding and a parged, stone foundation. There is a cellar. The bricks used for the cladding were salvaged from damaged sections of the Town Hall after the severe storm of 1878. According to the 2000 inventory, this building is a modest example of workers’ housing with some original details remaining. (1, 2, 3)

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

BM 31 BM 33

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Digital object metadata

Media type

Image

Mime-type

image/jpeg

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations