Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Item 2017-03-25-10 - 71 and 73 Holland Street East - The Edmanson Hotel

Identity area

Reference code

CA BWGPL GJ-HB-2017-03-25-10

Title

71 and 73 Holland Street East - The Edmanson Hotel

Date(s)

  • 1996 (Creation)

Level of description

Item

Extent and medium

Photograph

Context area

Name of creator

George Jackson

Biographical history

Name of creator

Joe Saint

Biographical history

Name of creator

Gillian Haley

Biographical history

Name of creator

Nancy Smith

Biographical history

Name of creator

Janice Hopkins

Biographical history

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The corner building located close to the street (on the north side) at 71 and 73 Holland St. East was built in the Neoclassical Duplex style in 1831. This building was known as the Edmanson Hotel. It is the earliest hotel and possibly the oldest building in Bradford. In this photo (from 1996) it is a residential duplex.
The 71 Holland St. East half was once a boarding place for travellers coming into town by train. These travellers then went on to the surrounding hamlets. There was a garage and shed on Nelson Street. Dave Ogilvie later lived here with his wife (a McKinstry). Their son Gordon was born there in 1911. They eventually moved to the northwest corner of John and Nelson Streets. Butcher George Webb bought it and he and his wife (a Collings) had six children – George, Agatha, Jim, Bertie, Ben and Mary (Mrs. H. Hillary). Mary was still living in the house in 1996.
The 73 Holland St. East half was the home of Jim Webb and his wife Muriel (Houghton). Their son James was in partnership with his father. When Jim died, James took over the butcher shop until he died suddenly. Muriel lived there for a while after that until the house was sold.
The two-storey, six-bay, semi-detached house has a rectangular plan and a shallow-pitched, gable roof with gable end and centre chimneys. The formal façade is symmetrical. Slightly-raised entrances are paired at the centre of the façade and recessed for greater privacy. The entrances have round, arched openings with inset steps and the doors are set into high, rectangular openings and have high transoms. The upper portion of each original, wood-panelled door is glazed. The building has large window openings with low floor to ceiling heights. Large, front windows have high sills that are set into plain, rectangular openings with plain, wood frames and sills. Upper-storey windows are offset from the ground floor. The lower windows were changed in the 1930’s. Those in the west half have multiple panes in the original style. The building has wood frame construction, stucco siding, a parged-stone foundation and a basement. The stucco was added by Len Saint in the 1930’s. The chimney on the west side is original. According to the 2000 inventory, the building is in good condition. (1, 2, 3, 4)

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

1-107 71 and 73 Holland E.

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Name access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Digital object metadata

Media type

Image

Mime-type

image/jpeg

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related people and organizations