- CA BWGPL GJ-SB 76/77/78-PH26771
Part of George Jackson fonds
"Many people may be curious why this huge ship's anchor was left stranded at Holland Landing. The anchor, a relic of the war of 1812, was forged in Chatham, England for a ship-of-war built at Penetang, then an upper lakes naval station. The anchor was being drawn by a sleigh to Penetang when the hauling party was overtaken by a courier with news that the war was over. The laborers unceremoniously dumped the anchor off the sled, where it remains in what is now Anchor Park, and returned to Toronto, or York as it was then known."