Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms


Equivalent terms


Associated terms


28 Archival description results for Damage

28 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

$3 M Blaze

"Firefighters battle stubborn 7-hour blaze which ripped through industrial complex last Friday afternoon

On April 28, 1988 at approximately 2:20 p.m., a major fire broke out in an industrial complex on Bridge Street (Hwy. 11) in the Town of Bradford, which necessitated the closing of Hwy. 11 both northbound and southbound for a period of six hours." ...

Bradford Gazette

Blaze destroys apartment

"No cause has yet been determined for a stubborn blaze which broke out in a house at 16 John Street East in Bradford last Tuesday.
The Bradford Fire Department was called out at about 4 pm to quell the blaze which broke out in a back apartment, occupied by Dick Gullinger.
Fire Chief Harold Boyd said the whole apartment was in flamed by the time the firefighters arrived on the scene, and there was no hope of saving it.
The back wall of the house was also badly damaged, and thick smoke made the rest of the house uninhabitable for the occupants of the other two apartments, John Faria Jr., and Louis Dasiba.
"It was a tough one to put out," Chief Boyd said, explaining there were many false ceilings in the old house which had to be torn away to get at the flames.
The chief estimated it took about three hours to put the fire out. The occupants managed to remove most of their belongings during the blaze, and there were no injuries. There has been no estimate of damage."

Bradford Witness

Bradford Disaster

The following photos were part of a News-photo story about the fire in Bradford in 1988. The first photo's caption reads: "Possible electrical trouble is the suspected cause of Thursday's $3 million fire in Bradford. Al Nosworthy, of the Ontario Fire Marshall's office, says materials recovered from the blaze will be forwarded to the Canadian Standards Association for detailed examination. "We are satisfied it wasn't arson," Nosworthy said yesterday, adding that some wiring may have possibly shorted out. "When the flames started, they went high in the walls, above the sprinkler system and up on the roof where they were fanned by strong north-east winds." The building was about 40 years old and used to be an ice house before it was used for storage. Wooden chips were used as insulation in parts of the structure. Nosworthy said insurance representatives have been through the remains but said they may not be able to put an exact dollar figure on the damage. "We may never really know." "

Metro North News

Results 1 to 10 of 28