Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms



Equivalent terms


Associated terms


8 Archival description results for Dentist

8 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

21 Holland Street West

The structure located at 21 Holland St. West is part of what is known as the Evans Block. The building was raised and Len Saint added a cellar and a foundation. The work was done by Mac Campbell and his team of carpenters. T.W.W. Evans had the building constructed to house his law practice. The upstairs was also used for years by Dr. Ellis, a dentist. The upper floor even served as Bradford Library in the 1930s, run by Mrs. Day. At one time, the offices of Tupling Insurance were also located in this building. In 1957 a fire destroyed several buildings to the east, but this structure was spared. (1, 2)

George Jackson

51 John Street West - The Neilly House

The Neilly House is located mid-block on the north side at 51 John Street West. It was built around 1900 in the Eclectic Edwardian style. The structure was designed by the same architect who was responsible for designing Bradford’s Anglican Church. This house was built for jeweler Andy Neilly. His business was on Holland St. (across from the Queen’s Hotel). He was a good hunter and sportsman and belonged to the Neilly Rifle Club. The club members met at Eagle Hill on the 13th Line (at the canal on the end of Back and Bingham Streets). This building was later the home of Mac Tobias and his wife. They ran a clothing store on Holland St. (in the second building east of the Queen’s Hotel) before moving to Toronto after World War II. Dr. McMichael, a dentist, lived and had his office here until he moved to Barry’s Bay. Merle and Shirley Woodcock and their family eventually bought, repaired, and remodeled the house.
The two-storey, ‘L’-shaped building with gable roofs has a smooth, brick exterior. There is full height projection with a projected, gable roof above. A textured, wood-shake finish at the flared front gable and the elaborate trim and decoration at the gable window are also Edwardian features. The house has precast voussoirs above the semi-oval transom at the main front window and precast, lug sills. It has loadbearing, brick masonry construction and a stone foundation. According to the 2000 inventory, the new front addition is unsympathetic with the original building. A new, cedar-shingle roof with copper valley flashing was also noted. It considers the building to be well-maintained. (1, 2, 3)
Please contact the Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library (905-775-3328) if you have any other information about this photo.

George Jackson

65 and 67 Holland Street West - Standard Bank

The Standard Bank is located at 65 and 67 Holland St. West. It was built in the Romanesque Revival style around 1860-1900. O.M. Seim, previous owner of the Bradford Witness newspaper (1916-1932), and his family (Gordon, Ken, Marjorie, Maurice and Betty) once lived here. Dr. McMichael, a dentist, lived on John St. but had his practice here many years ago. Aubrey Stewart (and her son Bruce) at one time had an Insurance company here and the living quarters were rented. The building was eventually converted into apartments.
The commercial building (67 Holland St. W.) is set close to the street. Originally, there was a large, walk-in vault at the rear of the building on the ground floor. Residential quarters were on the second floor. The two-storey building has tall window openings with high floor to ceiling heights and an asymmetrical façade with a simplified ‘temple’ form. There is a medium-pitched, ‘pediment’ gable roof facing the front and a tympanum with a rose window. Brick pilasters support a plain cornice and frieze at both the ground and second floors to create the image of a classical Greek temple (combined with the more Roman arch form). The commercial entrance is contained within one of the two corbelled arches and is raised slightly. A double-panelled door is topped by a multi-paned transom light. The ground floor bank window is set into a corbelled arch opening with a transom light and stone or concrete lug sills. Upper windows are set into rectangular openings with transom lights. The cornice and frieze at the ground and second floors are ‘supported’ on corbelled brick brackets. This building has brick masonry construction and a cut-stone foundation.
The residential wing (65 Holland St. West) is set further back from the street to provide greater privacy to the living quarters. It takes a more recessive form with an open verandah at the ground floor and an enclosed porch on the upper floor running the full width of the house. There is a hipped roof on the residential wing. The entrance door to the house also a transom light, but like the rest of the residential wing, it does not have the rich texture or detail found on the more public portion of the building. The residential porch posts, railing, door, and windows are not original. According to the 2000 inventory, the structure is in good condition with many original details remaining. (1, 2, 3)
Please contact the Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library (905-775-3328) if you have any other information about this photo.

George Jackson

Dr. Porter ad

Advertisement of Dr. William H. Porter, Surgeon Dentist of Bradford.

South Simcoe Times

Porter, William Henry

This portrait is of William H. Porter, dentist of Bradford. Porter had previously run the Bradford Witness with H.S. Broughton.

Edmund Garrett

Porter, William Henry obituary

Event Date : Sunday, January 20, 1907
Event Type : Death

Description : Dr. W.H. Porter, L.D.S. Born on February 27th, 1837, in Dublin, Ireland. Came to Canada when he was an infant. In 1868 was granted a license by the Dental Board of the Royal College of Dental Surgeons. Practiced in Bradford for over 40 years. In 1866, he married Mary, daughter of Capt. R.B.C. Playter, Holland Landing, Ont. She survives him. Father of Dr. Fred Porter, of Orillia, who graduated from the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario and Toronto University. Also survived by three brothers, Rev. G.H. Porter, of Little Metis, Quebec, Samuel, of Lindsay, and one living near Rochester, N.Y. Interred at Holland Landing cemetery.

Watson, H.E.

This portrait is of Herbert E. Watson, a dentist of Bradford. An article with a short biography accompanies this picture. It notes his dentist office was on the upstairs of the Kilkenny block of Holland Street, meaning his office was beside the Kilkenny Furniture store.

Edmund Garrett