Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Item 17061 - Evans, Thomas Wesley Whitfield obituary

Identity area

Reference code

CA BWGPL VS-1900-17061

Title

Evans, Thomas Wesley Whitfield obituary

Date(s)

  • 1955-05-18 (Creation)

Level of description

Item

Extent and medium

Newspaper article

Context area

Name of creator

Bradford Witness

Biographical history

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Event Date : Saturday, May 14, 1955
Event Type : Death

Description : Until within less than a week of his death Mr. T. W. W. Evans, senior member of the law firm of Evans & Evans, Bradford, was at his desk conducting the business of his profession as he had done for nearly 61 years. Last week he did not feel well, and, as had happened upon occasions during recent years, he was forced to remain at home in bed. But the rally to fairly good health which brought him back from previous sicknesses did not occur and he passed away early Saturday morning, May 14. The history of the Evans family dates back some 137 years, to around 1818, when George Evans with his wife and family came from Ireland and settled on Concession 10. Their son, James, later married Ann Mitchell and lived on the same farm, and when their son, George M. Evans, married he brought his bride, the former Elizabeth Cooper, to this same farm, and to them, on May 10, 1868, was born a son whom they named Thomas Wesley Whitfield Evans. And so began a life which was to serve a vital role in this community over a very long period of years.After attending the Bradford schools, including the old Bradford Model school, Mr. Evans taught school for a time at Coulson's Hill before entering law school in Toronto. After graduation he returned to Bradford and set up his law practice in October, 1894. Two years later he married Edith Graham, daughter of T. S. Graham and his wife Annie Drifill Graham, and Mr. and Mrs. Evans established their home in the house on Holland Street which had been built by the grandfather of Mrs. Evans, Thos. Drifill, the first reeve of Bradford. That house is still the Evans home. Mr. and Mrs. Evans had a family of six sons and one daughter. Three of the sons are lawyers, namely, Graham, Charles and Brock, and they with their father formed a family foursome of K.C.'s, now Q.C.'s, in the legal profession. Graham Evans, Q.C., is in Toronto. Fred Evans resides in Clarkson. Max Evans is in Toronto. Charles Evans, Q.C., is a member of the Evans & Evans firm here. Joseph Evans is in Toronto. Betty (Mrs. Jackson) and her family have made their home with her father for a number of years., while Brock Evans, Q.C., is a member of the Evans & Evans firm here. Most the grandchildren are now young men and women and friends of the family will be interested in them. The Graham Evans' family includes a son and daughter, Dr. John and Miss Elizabeth, R.N. The Fred Evans' family includes two daughters, two sons, and a grandson, namely Jean (Mrs. Bruce), and her son David, Douglas, William and Barbara. Max Evans has two sons, Thomas and David. Charles Evans' have four sons, Thomas, James, Robert and Richard. Joseph Evans has a son and two daughters, Donald, Sally Jo and Frances. Betty (Mrs. Jackson) is the mother of George and Elizabeth Jackson, while Brock's family is daughter Ann and son Christopher. Mrs. Evans passed away in October, 1945. Mr. Evans is also survived by four sisters and two brothers, namely, Mrs. Strong (Annie), Mrs. Hughes (Florence),Miss Eva Evans and Miss Libbie Evans, all of Toronto; and two brothers, Charles in Southey and Milton in White Fox, Saskatchewan. He was predeceased by three brothers, Dr. James Evans, Matthew and Fred.The history of West Gwillimbury and Bradford and the Evans family have been analogous for a period of around 135 years. Mr. T. W. W. Evans' father was Reeve of West Gwillimbury for a long term of years and was Warden of Simcoe County in 1873. His uncle, Zackariah Evans, was clerk of the township for a very long period of years. Mr. Evans has been solicitor for both the town and the township for, it is believed, over half a century, thus guiding the businesses of these municipalities. He also served on the schoolboard of Bradford for many years and acted as its chairman. In church affairs he always was a valued leader. In his younger days his church was the Methodist church at Mount Pleasant. Later it was the Methodist church in Bradford and since church union his church was the United Church here. He was an elder of the church and a member of several church boards. His presence at the church services always lent dignity to that service. He was also a lay representative on the Council of the United Church of Canada for a long term of years. Mr. Evans was a member of Simcoe Masonic Lodge and served as Master of the Lodge in 1907. A number of years ago he was presented with his 50 year membership medal by the lodge. He was also a member of L.O.L., Bradford. In 1926 Mr. Evans was joined in his law practice by his son, Charles T. S. Evans, and the firm became Evans & Evans. With expanding business, Brock M. Evans joined the firm in 1950. It was his sons' association in the firm, and their deference to him as senior member of the firm, which made possible Mr. Evans' active role in his profession to the last. Always keenly interested in athletics, he was a member of the executive of the famed lacrosse clubs in Bradford in years gone by and even during recent years he was usually an interested spectator at all sporting activities. As a father, as a churchman, as a citizen, and as a gentleman, Mr. Evans was at all times an example for good living to the people of the community. In his profession his integrity was regarded with the highest respect, while his advice was also sought and respected. The people of this district have suffered a loss in his passing. The funeral was held on Monday afternoon. A service for the family was held at the home followed by a public service in Bradford United Church. A long time friend of Mr. Evans, Rev. Dr. Manson Doyle, and a younger friend, and former minister, Rev. Dr. Harold W. Vaughan, joined the minister of the church, Rev. F. G. MacTavish, in conducting the services. Interment was in the family plot in Mount Pleasant Cemetery.The pallbearers were six grandsons, the eldest sons of the six older members of his family, namely, Dr. John Evans, Douglas Evans, Thomas M. Evans, Thomas E. Evans, George Jackson, and Donald Evans.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

The Bradford Witness
Wednesday, May 18, 1955
Vol. 90, No. 20
Page 1
Microfilm Reel # 79

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places