Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Equivalent terms


Associated terms


17 Archival description results for Factory

9 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

45 Holland Street East - The Edmund Garrett House

The Edmund Garrett House is a two-storey building located at 45 Holland St. East. It was built in the Classic Revival style in the 1880’s (after the fire of 1871 that destroyed much of Bradford’s downtown). The building was converted into two living quarters many years ago and was once the home of the VanZants (on the west side) and the Bennett family (on the east side). George Bennett, a powerful man and labourer, dug (by hand) a large number of the ditches on Dufferin Street. Howard Thornton eventually bought the building and started a crate factory with Bill Fuller in the barns at the rear. He had a crate and lumber yard on Back Street. Howard and his brother also owned Barron’s Hardware store. After Howard died, Mrs. Thornton rented the upstairs apartment and lived downstairs by herself. After her death, the town bought the structure and had it remodeled to accommodate the Bradford Police Station on the ground floor, which it housed from 1980-2008, and the building inspectors’ office on the upper floor.

The building has a modified, rectangular ‘temple’ plan with a projecting frontispiece flanked by two-storey wings on either side. A medium-pitched, gable roof has a plain cornice and frieze supported on small brackets. There is an enclosed, raised porch with a shed roof and a plain cornice and frieze supported on small brackets. The building has tall, narrow window openings with high floor to ceiling heights. Windows are used to highlight the frontispiece with an angular, flat-roofed bay at the ground level and a projecting cornice and eaves on brackets. Double, semi-circular, arched windows at the second floor are highlighted with dichromatic, brick voussoirs. There is a rose window set within the gable into a round opening of cut-stone voussoirs. Other windows are set into rectangular openings with stone (or concrete) lintels and lug sills. The original windows were probably multi-paned and double-hung. Masonry construction has brick cladding and there is a coursed, rubble-stone foundation. The two, two-storey additions have filled in the east corners of the building and the entrance porch has been modified and enclosed. According to the 2000 inventory, the structure is in good condition with some original details remaining. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

71 John Street East

The mid-block building located at 71 John St. East was built around 1900 in the Edwardian Classicism style. It was once the home of Sam Stein and his son and daughter. He was the owner of the Toronto Manufacturing Co. (maker of baby carriages and wicker furniture). His business was located on the northwest corner of Dissette St. until around 1929. After its end, the house was rented to a number of O.P.P. officers and their families, including Ivan Spence and Sam Irwin (a talented violin player). It was also the home of Joe Kanyo (a market gardener) and his family at one time. Leonard Saint built a large cement garage at the rear of the house. It had a basement for storing vegetables and a ground-level room for vehicles. The house was eventually sold and redesigned into rental apartments.
The large, 2½-storey house has a rectangular plan with a side hall, an asymmetrical façade and a simple, formal composition. It has a prominent, gable roof. The Classical roof form is expressed as a pediment with extended eaves and mixed with the Queen Anne texture of wood shingles. A raised, entrance portico with a flat roof and balustrade with access from the second- floor portico roof is set on a plain entablature ornamented with a band of dentils and set on double posts on brick piers. The single door is off-centre. There are large window openings with high floor to ceiling heights. Multi-paned, double-hung windows are reminiscent of the Queen Anne style. Ground and second-floor windows are set into segmented, arch openings with brick voussoirs and concrete, lug sills. The third-floor windows have wood entablature and plain, wood trim and sills. Wood frame construction is covered with smooth brick and wood-shingle cladding. There is a parged, stone foundation. The portico steps, foundation and balustrade, and entrance door are not original. According to the 2000 inventory, the house is in good condition. It also notes that the original form and many details are still intact. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

83 Holland Street East

The mid-block structure located at 83 Holland St. East was built in the Ontario Vernacular Cottage style. It was constructed pre-1900 on what was once the site of a pop manufacturing plant. According to local history, bottles were still being unearthed many years later. After the plant closed, the property became the site of a blacksmith shop run by Bill Cukens. The house seen in this photo originally had a back kitchen and wood shed at the rear, as well as a large, two-storey barn with loft above (for horse feed). It was the home of Bob McKinstry, his wife and children Michael (Mike), Maisil, and Dorothy. Bob was a huge man and a blacksmith for several lumber companies after the local mills folded. He was also a noted field lacrosse player on the team that won the championship in 1905 (1907?). Bob and his son both played lacrosse until their worn-out legs forced them to quit. In those days, lacrosse players worked ten-hour days at hard physical labour, played lacrosse for a couple of hours, and then ran the six miles to Bond Head to cool off. Mike was a bookkeeper who also worked for his father in the garage and blacksmith shop. Maisil became a nurse and Dorothy worked in a restaurant and stayed at home to look after her family.

The one-storey, three-bay ‘cottage’ has a rectangular plan with a centre hall, a symmetrical façade, and a shallow-pitched, gable roof. The enclosed porch has a hip roof and the entrance is raised above grade level. There is a simple entrance with a single door with windows on each side. The porch stairs are not original and the entire porch may be a later addition. There are double-hung windows at the ground floor. The 2/2 widows appear to be original and are set into simple, rectangular openings with plain, wood surrounds and sills. Exterior aluminum storm windows are a later addition. The building has wood frame construction with vinyl siding and a stone-rubble foundation. It had wood cove siding originally. According to the 2000 inventory, the building’s form is one of the few existing original building elements. It also notes that the modest cottage probably had few decorative details originally. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson


Contains news clippings and articles on various businesses of Bradford West Gwillimbury

Joe Saint

Hockey Stick Factory

From 'Governor Simcoe Slept here': "Hockey Stick Factory - Yet another industry that once thrived in the Bradford Carriage Works building. Hockey sticks for the NHL as well as axe handles came off the production line between the years 1935 to 1937."
People in the photograph, recalled by Ernie Peters: top three on the left are Al McKeown, Syd Gapp, Harry Sabodian; front row centre is Miss Margaret (Peg) Davey, the company's secretary; Ernie Peters is front row, second from right.

Hockey Stick Factory - Ash Tray souvenirs

Photograph of hockey stick ashtrays from the Hockey Stick Factory in Bradford. A puck sits in the centre of the sticks. These were owned by Bruce Davey and Marg Davey, former workers of the Factory.

Bill Marks

Lukes' Flour Mill

The article accompanying this photograph gives a quick history of the Bradford Flour Mill owned by Samuel Lukes. Lukes owned the mill since 1878, and improved the equipment within a few years to make it one of the best equipped in Ontario at the time.

Bradford Witness

Marks, Dorothy Reeves obituary (long)

Event Date : Thursday, August 17, 1978
Event Type : Death

Description : One of Bradford's most active and well known women, Dorothy "Dode" Marks died August 17 in York County Hospital in Newmarket. She was 68. Mrs. Marks was born in the home she lived in most of her life the daughter of Walter Reeves, a Bradford police officer for 20 years, and Sadie Saint. She was educated in Bradford attending both Bradford Public School and Bradford High School after which she worked for a short time in the Stein Furniture Factory which stood on the property now occupied by Toby's Restaurant. In 1930 she married Harvey Marks and spent the next few years raising three children Noreen (Hodgson), Beverley (Sanders), and Bill. She also had seven grandchildren and one great-grandson. An active woman Mrs. Marks was a member of the Women's Institute and also enjoyed bowling tennis badminton and baseball. She worked off and on for The Witness for 25 years often working well into the night organizing subscriptions. A tireless worker she was never heard to complain according to co-workers. Mrs. Marks was a member of the community centre board from its inception in 1956 until 1974 running for no wage the concession booth. According to former board member and co-worker Joe Magani, "Dode and Ted Dow ran that thing all year and the only compensation they got was a steak dinner once a year. For almost 20 years they kept that arena out of the red and that's a fact. Our expenses for running the arena were paid by the proceeds of that booth." A descendant of Bradford's pioneer families Mrs. Marks had a thorough knowledge of the history of the area and provided The Witness with many of the historical photos used in the Yesterdays column. Many of those same photos were used in the Bradford Centennial Book of 1957. Funeral service was held Saturday August 19 in the chapel Lathangue & Skwarchuk Funeral Home. Pallbearers were James Church, Jack Church, Gordon Church, Robert Watson, Kenneth Saint, and Bill Enwright. Burial took place at Mount Pleasant Cemetery.

Results 1 to 10 of 17