54 Archival description results for Holland Landing
54 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
- CA BWGPL LHC-BraPh-OS8653
Part of Local History Collection
Picture of the Emity May Anchor in Anchor Park, Holland Landing. This anchor was made in England and was being transported to Lake Huron during the War of 1812. When the war ended the achor was no longer needed and it was abandoned in what is now Anchor Park.
Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library
- CA BWGPL VS-1900-24468
Part of Vital Statistics
Event Date : Thursday, January 31, 1974
Event Type : Death
"Walter Bak, well-known marsh farmer and produce stand operator, died at York County Hospital, Newmarket, on Thursday, January 31.A native of Chocznia, near Krakow in Poland, where he was involved in mixed farming, Mr. Bak emigrated to Canada in 1926. After working here for 10 years, he returned to his native land and the family he had left behind. Three years later, with his wife, Maria, and two of their five children, Theresa and John, he returned to Canada, to see if his family would adapt to life in Canada. Although he intended to bring over his three other children, Wladzia, Joseph and Stanley, the Second World War intervened and made emigration impossible. After share cropping in the Blenheim area during the war, Mr. Bak brought his family to Bradford in the spring of 1945. Three years after the war ended, sons Joseph and Stanley rejoined the family, although their sister Wladzia, did not come to Canada until 1959, when she arrived here with her husband and family. Two more children, Antoinette and Casmir, were born in Canada. In Bradford, Mr. Bak and his family began farming in the marsh and, after a few years, began selling produce to passers-by from a roadside stand. As the family business blossomed, the produce stand was expanded into a full building. Although he went into semi-retirement last year, Mr. Bak was still involved in the business and played an important part in the planning of the huge produce market now under construction on Bridge St. Mr. Bak is predeceased by his wife, Maria; and survived by three daughters - Mrs. Wladzia Balon of Bradford, Mrs. Theresa Sarabura, Toronto and Mrs. Antoinette Alexandrowicz, Kingston and four sons - Joseph, Peterborough, Father Stanley, Oblate of Mary Immaculate, John, Ottawa, and Casmir, Bradford. He is also survived by 26 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren.Requiem High Mass was held at the Holy Martyrs of Japan Church in Bradford on Monday, February 4, with burial in Holy Cross Cemetery, Thornhill."
- CA BWGPL LHC-SCom-OS9713
Part of Local History Collection
A sketch of the Holland Landing Anglican Church as it appeared in the Holland Landing Scope. The caption read: "The Holland Landing Anglican Church is a landmark in that community, as represented here in a sketch by Simon Limbert. The community was officially named in 1821 when the first post office was established. The church was constructed in 1850 from materials taken from an older building.
- CA BWGPL WEG-Mar-PH25683
Part of WEGWHIST Collection
Description : Early Days of the Marsh
Today, one of the richest and most widely known Garden Tracts in Ontario is the Bradford or the Holland Marsh. In the vegetable stores across Canada and in parts of the United States you will see potatoes, celery, lettuce, onions, and carrots, etc., bearing the label "Bradford Marsh" or simply "Marsh" as a sign of quality. But, the Bradford Marsh was not always a gardener's paradise. Unbelieveable as it may now seem, it was once nothing but an impassable marsh of Tamarack swamp, covering thousands of acres.
Beginning about Schomberg and flowing, or moving in a very sluggish manner in a northeasterly direction towards Lake Simcoe is the stream known as the Holland River, so named after a Major S. Holland, Surveyor General of Canada, who in 1971 visited the river in making a general survey of the Lake Simcoe region. This is the main river and it is joined by an eastern or Holland Landing tributary at a place called Soldier's Landing or Soldier's Bay about seven miles from the mouth. At one time, navigation to Lake Simcoe points from Soldier's Landing consisted of small craft. In 1850, when boats were larger and the western or main branch of the river was found to be much easier to navigate, having deeper water and broader streams and not so choked with marsh as the eastern branch, the steamer "Beaver" went on to the Bradford Holland River Bridge.
In 1819, the first settlers in South Simcoe, the Wallaces, the Armstrongs and the Algeos, crossed the river with great difficulty and landed at what is now known as the old wharf in the Scotch Settlement. Here for some years was the only river crossing and that was by a ferry pulled by ropes.
But by this time, the settlement at Bradford had become an accomplished fact and the question of some method of crossing the marsh and so as to give easier access to the Holland Landing had arisen. Petitions were sent to county councils and to the Government and finally under the constant urging of William Armson, Reeve of West Gwillimbury and Warden of the County, money grants were given and a road was made from Bradford to the river by laying logs across a width of marsh and filling in with earth. This was the corduroy road, the logs of which were still visible many years afterwards. Then to cross the river a floating bridge was laid down and a through direct road from Bradford to the Landing was completed and the Marsh was at least partly conquered. The ferry at the old wharf was discontinued.
In 1837 George Lount, Government Surveyor, surveyed as a townsite, the spot on the south side of the river just beyond the floating bridge, known as Amsterdam and the streets were laid out bearing such good Holland names as DeRuyder, DeWitt, VanDyke, Rubens, etc., but the townsite remained as only a townsite and no town arose, so in 1869 a lumberman named Thompson Smith acquired the patent of the unused site and built two sawmills, one on each side of the road just beyond the bridge. And the marsh was still largely unconquered. Rafts of logs were brought up the river by the tugs Victoria and Isabella, and this helped to keep the river fairly clear of weeds. The wreck of the Isabella lay near the railway bridge not so many years ago and it now probably lying on the bottom of the river.
The superintendent of the sawmills was James Durham and in 1870, Mr. Durham cut the floating bridge in two in order to get his logs through and this caused a lot of trouble but led to the erection of a bridge above the water. This bridge was 420 feet long and was complete in April 1871, the builder being Thomas McKonkey of Gilford.
To the many men working in the mills the great marsh became a familiar sight and the thought entered someone's head, why not cut that marsh grass or hay, twist it into ropes and sell it, and so was born the marsh hay industry and some use at last was made of the great wasts of land. The hay was twisted into long ropes. Later, hay-balers were brought into use and the hay was baled instead of twisted into ropes.This marsh hay was used for stuffing mattresses. Marsh hay twisting and baling went on for years and might still be the only marsh industry had not a bright idea entered the head of one D. W. (Dane) Watson, an intelligent, energetic young farmer of the Scotch Settlement who, however, had come into Bradford and acquired a grocery business where the Village Inn now stands.
This bright idea was, why not dredge a canal and drain the marsh and so turn waste land into productive soil? Mr. Watson got Professor Day of Guelph Agricultural College, interested in his idea and so was laid the germ that has sprouted into the now famous Bradford Marsh Gardens.
- CA BWGPL 20433
Event Date : Friday, December 20, 1963
Event Type : Birth
Description : At York County Hospital, Newmarket, a daughter to Ed and Mary Gres, a sister for Darlene and Kathryn.