"At the first conference of employees in the Consumer and Commercial Relations Ministry, the Honourable Sidney Handleman presented a survey of consumer attitudes taken in North Bay recently. Aside from revealing that the vast majority of consumer protection law, the most startling revelation concerns the attitude of young people towards the business. That concerns me. It should concern small business people even more. What is even more startling is the result of the question, "How much profit out of each dollar do you think food chains make after taxes"? The answers covered the gambit from nothing to $2. One food chain in its 1976 annual report stated that "earnings per dollar of sales were less that 8-10 of a cent, compared with one cent per dollar in the same period last year..."
"This week's historical photo was submitted by Lew Campbell of RR 2, Bradford, whose father, W.L. Campbell (behind the counter) operated the drug store on Holland Street now occupied Ritchie's Variety Store. Fred C. Cook, standing in front of the counter, worked for Mr. Campbell for several years, intending to become a druggist. But he went into the insurance business instead. Mr. Campbell owned the drug store in Bradford for 57 years. He graduated from the Ontario College of Pharmacy in 1891, a silver medalist in his class."
Dimock's Garage was an important business in Bradford in the early 1930's when this photo was taken. Harold Iceton, who submitted the photo writes: "Mrs. Al Dimock, affectionately known as Minnie to her many friends (gave me this photo). The photo dates back to 1931 when Albert Dimock first started up business in Bradford with his young son Hedley. They were soon joined by his wife Minnie and daughter Eileen. This building has now been demolished and replaced by the Royal Bank Building.
"If CN has its way, the last real contact Bradford has with the railway will be gone soon when the train station is either sold or torn down. The railway was an integral part of the community when this photo was taken in 1939. Submitted by Wilbert Mulliss of Bradford, it shows Percy Stephenson, an express clerk at CN who delivered parcels to and from the train station and the post office. Stephenson, who was Mulliss' uncle, posed for this hot on Barrie Street with John Street West in the background. The old Model 'A' truck was owned by CN, and Stephenson worked for CN's agent in town, George Green, an insurance agent and former town clerk."
"This week's photo, courtesy of the Bradford Fire Department, depicts the fire in February of 1959 which destroyed a large block of the downtown section, from Evans and Evans to the police department. The fire swept through several businesses, unprotected by fire walls. Firefighters from five arena departments battled almost 20 hours to quell the stubborn blaze which caused an estimated $500,000 damage. This week's photo was suggested by Ernest and Lola Peterman of Bradford who sent in a newspaper clipping of the fire."
"Chamber of Commerce President George Allison explained the set up of this year's Bradford Salad Festival Committee to a gathering of more than 50 representatives from local, civic and service organizations during a dinner meeting at Toby's Restaurant last week. This year, the Chamber of Commerce is acting as an umbrella organization for the event. This year's Salad Festival will be held on the July 18, 19 weekend."
"Arthur Evans, retired MPP for Simcoe Centre, has been appointed as investment counsellor with the Municipal Savings and Loan Corporation in Barrie. The president of the company, Maxwell L. Rotsetin, announced the appointment."
"Harold Stephens, rural mail carrier on the Lefroy route for 22 years, died January 13 in his 71st year. He had been in failing health for some time and for that reason gave up the mail route two years ago. Mr. Stephens had seen many changes in Innisfil since starting to drive the mail about 1952. Most of the 18-mile route was gravel then. Initially, he called at 75 boxes and when he retired he was serving 150 boxholders. In an interview with Scope at that time, he recalled gasoline was only 25 cents a gallon when he first took over the mail route. The deceased saw the end of the era of mail coming to Lefroy by train and the start of truck service. He used to meet the train at 11 o'clock each morning in the early years and part of his contract included delivery of the mail bag for Churchill to the post office there. On retirement he noted the vast decrease in parcels from Eaton's and Simpson's over the years. Harold Stephen's moved to Lot 20, Concession 4 in 1931 and upon retirement from farming a few years ago, built a new house on the farm lane. He grew up at Churchill on the 5th Line, west of Highway 11 where his parents, Llewyn and Lizzie Stephens farmed. He is ervived by his wife, Phyliss and daughter Mary Ann and several step children. A brother, Jim and sister, Doreen also survive. He was predeceased by brothers, Fred and Glen and sister, Eleanor."
"Liquor store manager Clare Sullivan (left) stands with cashier Herb Taylor at the opening of the new Liquor Control Board outlet on Holland St. W. The store had six customers in the first 15 minutes of business, according to Sullivan, who also said the Monday opening helped by being on the same day prices went up. All stock showed the new price raises."
"Innisfil township's first historical plaque was unveiled Sunday afternoon at the farm of Harold Webb on the 13th concession. The plaque commemorates Innisfil's part in 1853, of supplying the tree that would be the mast for the largest ship in the world -- the 693-foot Great Eastern. This 120 foot log was hauled to the water by ten teams of horses. The plaque was unveiled by Hilton and Judy Webb, fourth and fifth generation members of the Webb family."