Manse

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Manse

Equivalent terms

Manse

Associated terms

Manse

6 Archival description results for Manse

6 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Methodist Manse

It was used as the Methodist Manse until 1970. Located on the corner of Barrie and Frederick Streets. Built around 1885.

Dorothy Cilipka

81 Frederick Street - The Anglican Church Manse

The former Anglican Church Manse is located at 81 Frederick St. (on the northeast corner of Church and Frederick Streets). The structure was built around 1880 in the Eclectic Neoclassical style. The two-storey, rectangular building has a medium-pitched, hip roof. The line at the front façade suggesting that the building originally had a full-width, front porch is another Regency Revival feature. The symmetrical window openings (with high floor to ceiling heights), a centre hall plan, and a wide entrance with sidelights and a transom are neoclassical features. Dichromatic brickwork at the quoins and window labels, as well as the ‘droopy’ label stops at the windows are Gothic Revival features. The house has solid, brick construction and a stone foundation. According to the 2000 inventory, the existing porch and entrance motif are unsympathetic with the original design. It also notes that, unlike the originals, the replacement windows have no muntins. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

129 James Street - The Old Presbyterian Manse

The Old Presbyterian Manse is located at 129 James St. (on the northeast corner of James and Essa Streets). It was built around 1875 in the Neoclassical style. It was being used as a manse at the turn of the century and has since been converted into duplex units.
The two-storey, rectangular building has a symmetrical façade, a centre hall plan and a medium-pitched, gable roof. It has large window openings, high floor to ceiling heights, and large, 6/6, double-hung windows. The original entrance probably had sidelights and a transom. There appears to have been a broad verandah at the front entrance and identical chimneys at both ends of the gable roof at one time. The building has sculptured, curvilinear, soffit brackets, solid brick construction (Flemish bond), and an exposed, stone foundation. According to the 2000 inventory, the existing entrance and many windows and doors do not reflect the original design intent. It also notes that the existing duplex unit arrangement suggests major interior modifications. (1, 3)

George Jackson

123 John Street West - The Former Presbyterian Manse

The former Presbyterian Manse is located at 123 John St. West (on the northeast corner of John and Essa Streets). It was built around 1880 in the Eclectic Neoclassical style. Presbyterian ministers lived here in the 1920-1930’s. Rev. McLaren and his wife and daughter lived here in the 1930’s. Jim and Aida Catania later lived here for a number of years. They were followed by Bill Nesbitt and his family after World War II.
The two-storey, rectangular building has a symmetrical façade, a centre hall plan, and a wide entrance with sidelights and a transom. Large window openings with high floor to ceiling heights and the large, 6/6 sash windows (with painted, wood lug sills and shutters) are all Neoclassical features. The monumental pilasters with stepped-brick, stylized bases and capitals, and elaborate, wood soffit detail that accentuate the pilaster capital are Classic Revival features. A medium-pitched, hip roof with a wide overhang and the original veranda (demolished) which extended across the full width of the front façade are Regency Revival features. Dichromatic brickwork at the pilasters is a Gothic Revival feature. The house has solid-brick construction (Flemish bond pattern), a brick foundation, and metal roof cladding. According to the 2000 inventory, the metal awning, the metal screen door at the entrance, and the garage addition are unsympathetic with the original building. It also notes that the façade is unique and handsome. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

Osler Rectory

If you have any additional information about this photo please contact the library at 905-775-3328.