Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Equivalent terms


Associated terms

20 Archival description results for Mills

12 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

89 Holland Street East - Saint/Marks House

The two-storey, frame house located at 89 Holland St. East was the home of Tom and Mary (Harman) Saint for many years. The structure was moved across the river to this site from the Thompson Smith Saw Mill (at Amsterdam) after it closed. A crawl space under the back kitchen was replaced in 1936 by a cellar under the front part of the house. It was dug by Jim (Dummy) Peters, Donald Campbell, and Joe Saint using pick-shovels. They then poured an 8” concrete wall. An oil furnace was installed after the front cellar was completed. It replaced the wood-fueled cooking stove previously used as a heat source for the house. Tom owned the property from Holland St. through to John Street. There was a lane behind the house that led to a woodshed. At the bottom of the lot there was a shed for a wagon, buggy, implements, etc. Upstairs was a loft for hay and on the east side there was a horse stable. Tom was a stone mason, brick layer, plasterer, and cement layer. He used a horse to haul his materials. Six children (William, John, Sadie, Leonard, May and Jane) were raised in this house. Sadie married Walter Reeves, a lacrosse player and a one man/one dog police force. Sadie lived at home and Dorothy married Harvey Marks and stayed in the family till 1989. A front porch and a car port at the back were eventually added. The lot at the back was sold to William Smith. (1, 2)

George Jackson

Bradford Flour Mill

"Bradford Flour Mill Samuel Lukes" is painted on the side of this building which was situated on Holland St. East at Morris Rd. This mill was built in 1904, and could mill 300 barrels a day at maximum capacity.

Buildings & Architecure L-Z

Contains articles and clippings related to the buildings and architecture of Bradford West Gwillimbury, from L-Z

Joe Saint


Contains news clippings and articles on various disastrous events of Bradford West Gwillimbury; includes fires, Hurricane Hazel, drownings, explosion, train wrecks

Joe Saint

Fire! Fire! The old and familiar cry is again heard

Article based on the event of Lukes' Flour Mill's recent fire on the early morning of November 19th, 1895. The mill was located on the far east end of Bradford, and was registered under the Patrons of Industry Warehouse and Shipping Company.

Bradford Witness

Lukes' Flour Mill

The article accompanying this photograph gives a quick history of the Bradford Flour Mill owned by Samuel Lukes. Lukes owned the mill since 1878, and improved the equipment within a few years to make it one of the best equipped in Ontario at the time.

Bradford Witness

Luke's Mill Workers

George Harmon, Thomas Saint, Lorne Church, Len Saint, Mac Campbell, Donald Campbell, Oscar Lukes, Gilbert Lukes, Jim Peters, Fred Collings.

Results 1 to 10 of 20