Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms


Equivalent terms


Associated terms


14 Archival description results for OPP

14 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

71 John Street East

The mid-block building located at 71 John St. East was built around 1900 in the Edwardian Classicism style. It was once the home of Sam Stein and his son and daughter. He was the owner of the Toronto Manufacturing Co. (maker of baby carriages and wicker furniture). His business was located on the northwest corner of Dissette St. until around 1929. After its end, the house was rented to a number of O.P.P. officers and their families, including Ivan Spence and Sam Irwin (a talented violin player). It was also the home of Joe Kanyo (a market gardener) and his family at one time. Leonard Saint built a large cement garage at the rear of the house. It had a basement for storing vegetables and a ground-level room for vehicles. The house was eventually sold and redesigned into rental apartments.
The large, 2½-storey house has a rectangular plan with a side hall, an asymmetrical façade and a simple, formal composition. It has a prominent, gable roof. The Classical roof form is expressed as a pediment with extended eaves and mixed with the Queen Anne texture of wood shingles. A raised, entrance portico with a flat roof and balustrade with access from the second- floor portico roof is set on a plain entablature ornamented with a band of dentils and set on double posts on brick piers. The single door is off-centre. There are large window openings with high floor to ceiling heights. Multi-paned, double-hung windows are reminiscent of the Queen Anne style. Ground and second-floor windows are set into segmented, arch openings with brick voussoirs and concrete, lug sills. The third-floor windows have wood entablature and plain, wood trim and sills. Wood frame construction is covered with smooth brick and wood-shingle cladding. There is a parged, stone foundation. The portico steps, foundation and balustrade, and entrance door are not original. According to the 2000 inventory, the house is in good condition. It also notes that the original form and many details are still intact. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

Accident still under investigation

"Occurrences investigated by the officers of the Bradford OPP during the week included 11 traffic accidents in which one person was killed and six persons were injured.
On the morning of Nov. 1, Nancy Thedoru of Toronto was killed when the car driven by her husband George was involved in a collision with a pick up truck driven by Frank Anzil of Klienburg. Mr. Anzil's wife Tina was a passenger in the truck. Mr. Theodoru remains at Sunnybrook Medical Centre.
Mr. Anzil is in intensive care in stable condition at York County Hospital. His wife has been transferred to St. Michael's Hospital.
OPP are still investigating the accident, which occurred at Highways 11 and 89, near Gilford. No charges have been laid as yet.
Bradford OPP investigated 42 occurrences during the week, including two drivers charged with excess alcohol. Also, five liquor related charges were laid."

Bradford Weekly

Alliston OPP detachment

"Constable Easterbrook of the Alliston detachment of the OPP is shown here with Carl and Clara Pleasance and school bus driver Vera Marie McKenzie. Carl and Clara were presented with pins by the OPP for their great help during a school bus accident, October 3. Carl and Clara escorted students off the bus after it was struck by a car. There was no serious injuries."

Larry Batchelar

Auxiliary OPP badge

Fabric badge for the Auxiliary OPP detachment, attached to the Walter Reeves badge collection. The Auxiliary OPP Force came into practice in 1960, after Walter had died, so it could have been acquired as a memento to his work.

Bill Marks

Military/ Policing

Contains information relating to the military presence, recruitment, and police force in Bradford. Headings include: 1837 Rebellion Attestation Papers Battalions Served by Canadians Bond Head Armson Crash Boyd Gang Bradford West Gwillimbury Policing Col. Tyrwhitt Earl Bowles Early Militia Fenian Raids Korean War Photographs Royal Canadian Legion Veterans War Effort at Home World War I & World War II
*Military/Policing - Other

Ont. Provincial Police Set Up New Detachment in Bradford

"A Headquarters Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police, covering the southern part of No. 7 (Barrie) District, is to be located in Bradford, according to information given The Witness this week.
The new local police set-up is expected to go into effect January 1st, or as soon as convenient living quarters can be secured. The detachment will consist of five men, all of whom will reside in and work from Bradford.
The personnel of the detachment will comprise Provincial Constable D. Adair, now of Gravenhurst, Provincial Constables C. Kreuger and R. Murphy, now of Bond Head; Provincial Constable George Herries and Provincial Constable H. Sparling, both at present located here.
The town will continue to be policed by Provincial Constables Reg. Wilson and E. Morrison, who have been in charge here of late."

Bradford Witness

OPP badge

A recent fabric badge for the OPP detachment, acquired in memory of Walter Reeves as a Town Constable.

Bill Marks

OPP pin

Fabric badge for the OPP detachment, owned by Walter Reeves as a Town Constable.

Bill Marks

Policing in Bradford West Gwillimbury

Contains files and articles relating to the history of the Bradford Police Service and, after 1997 with the amalgamation with Innisfil's police force, the South Simcoe Police Service.

Police in Bradford history:
The Bradford Police Service was established in the early 1900s, though it only featured one Town Constable until it teamed up with the Ontario Provincial Police on January 1, 1949. These Provincial Constables lived in the area. By 1951, the OPP office was located at the corner of Holland Street and Barrie Street, and the Bradford Police in the Town Hall.

The Bradford Police moved into their new building at 1 Holland Street West, the former Canadian Bank of Commerce (where the jail cells were in the old bank vault) on September 25, 1976. They then moved in early 1980 to 45 Holland Street East, the building right to the west of the Town Hall and Courthouse.

In 1997, the Bradford Police Service and the Innisfil Police Service amalgamated into the South Simcoe Police, and the South Division (Bradford) branch was designated at their station house at 45 Holland St. East. The motion to amalgamate was first turned down in October of 1996 only to be revived by support from Mayor Frank Jonkman and other prominent citizens as a cost-saving method for the police forces. The Town Council voted in favour of the motion on November 12, 1996.

On April 15, 2005, when it was revealed that the new administrative building (where the current Leisure Centre and Library reside) would not be able to hold the police as well, a discussion began about a new building for the South Simcoe Police. It commenced construction in 2006. The South Simcoe Police began to move into their new South Division headquarters at 75 Melbourne Drive in February, 2008, with full services transferred over by August, and the old headquarters at 45 Holland St East was demolished on June 24-26, 2009. This is where the current South Simcoe Police reside.

In March of 2017, the issue surrounding the cost-saving methods of the amalgamation was brought up in Bradford West Gwillimbury town council again. Information is currently being gathered to see how cost-effective the South Simcoe Police service is run.

Results 1 to 10 of 14