Queen Street

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Queen Street

Equivalent terms

Queen Street

Associated terms

Queen Street

15 Archival description results for Queen Street

15 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

149 Queen Street

The house located at 149 Queen St. (on the northwest corner of Queen and Essa Streets) was built pre-1900 in the Ontario Vernacular Cottage style. It was once the home of the Bales family.
The 1½-storey, three-bay ‘cottage’ has a simple, rectangular form with a symmetrical façade and a centre hall plan. It has a medium-pitched, gable roof and a lack of decoration and porch addition. The replacement windows have the original, plain, wood lug sills and trim. Metal storm windows and the door are later additions. The structure also has a one-storey addition that was built at a later time. This structure has stucco cladding on 4” poured-in-place, concrete walls and a parged, stone foundation. According to the 2000 inventory, the modest dwelling requires painting and landscaping. (1, 3)

George Jackson

24 Queen Street

This mid-block building located at 24 Queen St. was built pre-1880 in the Gothic Revival style. The one-storey cottage has an ‘L’-shaped plan with a centre hall. It has an asymmetrical façade, a medium-pitched, gable roof and off-centre gables at the front and side façades. A covered, open porch extends beyond the façade projection to shelter the entrance at street level. It has a shallow, hip roof supported on narrow, wood posts with decorative gingerbread brackets and a plain, wood railing. The centre entrance is set into a simple, rectangular opening. Narrow, double-hung windows with low floor to ceiling heights are set into rectangular openings with plain, wood frames and sills. There is an angular, bay-window projection on the north side that has a truncated, hip roof. The 2/2 windows are original. Decorative, painted, wood half-timbers are found on the exterior walls (at both the front and side gables) and the centre, brick chimney is original. Wood frame construction has stucco cladding and there is a parged, stone foundation. According to the 2000 inventory, the concealed foundation indicates that the house was built prior to the construction of the existing street and town services. It also notes that the house is in good condition with many original details. (1, 3)

George Jackson

37 Queen Street - The Thompson Fisher House

The Thompson Fisher House is located at 37 Queen St. (on the northeast corner of Queen and Rebecca Streets). It was built around 1880 in the Eclectic Neoclassical style. It belonged to J.C. Wood in the 1950’s. He was the principal at the original, adjacent Bradford High School.
The two-storey, rectangular building has a symmetrical façade and a centre hall plan (Neoclassical features). A medium-pitched, hip roof with a wide overhang and a full-width, awning roof at the porch are Regency Revival features. The house has large window openings with high floor to ceiling heights. Ground-floor windows and the entrance door have transom lights. The arched shutters may be original. Decorative details at the porch columns, a busy verge board, and paired, soffit brackets (over new metal soffits) appear to be twentieth-century additions. The house has solid brick construction as well as the original wood banister, doors, and 12” baseboards. According to the 2000 inventory, the decorative trim is excessive and without precedent in the community. It also notes that while some degree of eclecticism is not out of place, the total effect on this well-maintained building is unconvincing. (1, 3, 5)

George Jackson

75 Queen Street - Fred C. Cook Senior Public School

The Fred C. Cook Senior Elementary School is located at 75 Queen Street. It is not the original building to be found on this site. That structure was a small, two-room, grammar school from Bond Head that was loaded onto a sled and pulled by horses many years ago to the newly-formed town of Bradford. It was set among the pine trees found on a plot of land between Fletcher and Queen Streets. That structure eventually became the first high school in Bradford. It was destroyed by fire in 1890 and a new school was opened on the same site. It burned as well. The Fred C. Cook Senior Elementary School (as seen in the photo) was erected in its place in 1923 or 1924. It was built in the Colonial Revival style. A four-room wing was built in the rear school yard in 1956 (1960’s?) to alleviate over-crowding.
The main building has 2½ storeys. Its large, simple, rectangular form dominates this site. The structure is set well back from the street on a broad expanse of lawn. This positioning suggests its importance in the community. There are large window openings with high floor to ceiling heights, and a flat roof (probably covered with built-up tar and gravel). The entrance is raised one-half storey above grade level. Stairs lead directly to an over-scaled entrance door framed by white-painted pilasters and a plain, wood entablature above. The double door and transom do not appear to be original. The tall, ‘Venetian” windows (characteristic of the neoclassical style) have pilasters and three-foot ‘lights’. The first and second-storey windows are joined by recessed, wood panels. A white-painted, urn-trimmed, roof balustrade is set into a brick, parapet wall. Thin pilaster strips (set into a continuous ‘sill’ at the ground-floor level) sub-divide the front façade into multiple bays. The building has concrete, masonry construction with brick, masonry cladding, applied wood details, and a concrete foundation. According to the 2000 inventory, the building is in excellent condition with many original details.
A new, modern version of the Fred C. Cook Elementary School opened in September, 2013. It is located at 20 Fletcher Street. (1, 3, Bradford District High School’s web site)

George Jackson

Bradford High School Class Photo 1931

From the Yesterdays section of the Bradford Witness:
"This is a photo of the 1931 class at Bradford High School submitted by Mr. and Mrs. Grennville Halbert. Shown in the top row (left to right) are Allan Gould, Frank Maurino, Murray Faris, Errol Gray, Don WIlson, Lou Neilly, Lorne West, James Darling, Keith Kilkenny, and Laurie Melbourne. Second row (left to right) Mr. Clary, the principal; Miss Cook, teacher; Home Henbest, Addison Black, Emory Belfry, Ivor Rogers, Marion Bell, Muriel Kneeshaw, Helen Clubine, Helen Clark, Ann Watt, and Connie Nolan. Third row (left to right) Zella Gardner, Maude Gardner, Edith Noble, Kathleen Holdane-Wilson, Marion Edney, Barbara Dunn, Evelyn Ward, Eleanor Collings, Mildred Faris, Ruth Cerswell, and Phyllis Mitchell, teacher. Bottom row (Left to right) Donna Archer, Jessie Lowry, Margery Seim, Helen Leeson, Marion Cullingham, and Evelyn Leeson. The Witness welcomes photos of interest."

Bradford High School Class Photo 1931

Bradford High School Students, 1931, Form 4 and 5.
Jim Worfolk, Marion Cullingham, Kathleen Wilson, Ann M. Watt, Ronald Sutherland, Unknown, Jessie McLowry, Unknown, Ruth Cerswell, Keith Kilkenny, Billie Day, Unknown, Louis Neilly, John Clubine, Evelyn Leeson, Beverley Hartman, Unknown, Arthur Taylor, Errol Gray, Dot Stone, Doland Adair, Allan Gould, Herbie Taylor, Helen Clark, Janet Pringle, Marjorie Wilson, Muriel Forth, Addison Black, Fred Reynolds, Unknown, Jessie Melbourne.

Bradford High School Class Photo 1939

Bradford High School 1939-40. Principal Mr. G. K. Brunt.
Back Row (l-r): James Shaw, Bill Martin, John Worfolk, Vincent O'Donnell, Donald Rutherford, Bob Faris, Calvin Lapp, Bill Rowe, Howard McKay, Gordon Cillingham, Bill Moriarty, Selby Kneeshaw, Campbell Prince, Gordon Bateman, Andrew Bell, Milton McMillan, Eveleen McDonnell, Muriel Gibney, Betty Camplin, Mary Scott, Lylia Bell.
Third Row (l-r): Marie Valenteyn, Helen Porritt, Doreen Simpkin, Marion Worfolk, Margaret Hill, Joyce Steers, Vera Huck, Lorna Dixon, Irene Mestdagh, Beatrice Zlotkin, Catherine Lukes, Betty Seim, Marie Moriarty, Helen Snor, Audrey Mapes, Dorothy Seim, Ruth Stewart, Jean Wilson, Jean Bell, Ruth Noble, Helen Cave, Freda Doane, Helen Brown, Isabel Blackwell, Gladys Bell, Doris Fennell, Marjorie Creighton.
Second Row (l-r): Helen Noble, Mary Meher, Etta Noble, Ruth O'Neil, Jean Campbell, Reta O'Neil, Phyllis Edney, Elsie McKnight, Isobel Kneeshaw, Marie O'Donnell, Marie Caesar, Evelyn Doane, Eileen Iceton, Velma Valedon, Ruth Stewart, Margaret Graham, Constance Nolan, G. K. Brunt, W. K. Gray, Helen Saint, Phylis Robson, Marjorie Horsley, Lorraine Lapp, Isobel Lennox, Marjorie Botham, Betty Spence, Joyce Gibney, Shirley Armstrong, Helen McDonald, Margaret Coates, Jean Bannerman, Josephine Orr.
Front Row (l-r): Ivan Wilson, Irwin Collings, Murray Quinn, Ross Melbourne, Frank Carter, Alan Atkinson, Joe Wood, Alex Geddes, Maurice Roberts, Donald Gardner, Bert McArthur, Earl Jessop, Jack Glover, Wallace Fuller, James Lennox, Willard Budd, George Allan, Keith Bowles, Keith Langford, Arthur Turner, Murray Wilson, Arnold Fraser, Jack Gardner, Charles Doane, John Fennell.

May Bowles

Corner of Queen and Moore Streets - Roman Catholic Church

  • CA BWGPL 2017-04-18-11
  • Item

This structure had a drive shed at the rear for stabling horses while the congregation attended church. The seating capacity was 125. The building had a simple 3-bay rectangular plan with a steep-pitched gable roof. Exterior buttresses and corner turrets (in lieu of a main spire) accentuated the sense of height. The symmetrical layout had a central aisle and an elevated pulpit and sacrament tables located at the front of the church. Large Gothic windows had vertical feature elements and pointed arch tracery. There was also a rose window. The large central entrance had an arched transom above. Solid brick masonry construction rested on a random field stone foundation. This building was demolished in 1957. The replacement church has a larger seating capacity. (3)
Please contact the Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library (905-775-3328) if you have any other information about this photo.

Janice Hopkins

Results 1 to 10 of 15