Religion

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Equivalent terms

Religion

Associated terms

Religion

88 Archival description results for Religion

20 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

129 James Street - The Old Presbyterian Manse

The Old Presbyterian Manse is located at 129 James St. (on the northeast corner of James and Essa Streets). It was built around 1875 in the Neoclassical style. It was being used as a manse at the turn of the century and has since been converted into duplex units.
The two-storey, rectangular building has a symmetrical façade, a centre hall plan and a medium-pitched, gable roof. It has large window openings, high floor to ceiling heights, and large, 6/6, double-hung windows. The original entrance probably had sidelights and a transom. There appears to have been a broad verandah at the front entrance and identical chimneys at both ends of the gable roof at one time. The building has sculptured, curvilinear, soffit brackets, solid brick construction (Flemish bond), and an exposed, stone foundation. According to the 2000 inventory, the existing entrance and many windows and doors do not reflect the original design intent. It also notes that the existing duplex unit arrangement suggests major interior modifications. (1, 3)

George Jackson

81 Frederick Street - The Anglican Church Manse

The former Anglican Church Manse is located at 81 Frederick St. (on the northeast corner of Church and Frederick Streets). The structure was built around 1880 in the Eclectic Neoclassical style. The two-storey, rectangular building has a medium-pitched, hip roof. The line at the front façade suggesting that the building originally had a full-width, front porch is another Regency Revival feature. The symmetrical window openings (with high floor to ceiling heights), a centre hall plan, and a wide entrance with sidelights and a transom are neoclassical features. Dichromatic brickwork at the quoins and window labels, as well as the ‘droopy’ label stops at the windows are Gothic Revival features. The house has solid, brick construction and a stone foundation. According to the 2000 inventory, the existing porch and entrance motif are unsympathetic with the original design. It also notes that, unlike the originals, the replacement windows have no muntins. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

81 John Street West - Bradford Presbyterian Church

The Bradford Presbyterian Church was once located at 81 John St. West (on the northwest corner of Church and John Streets). A Presbyterian church in Bradford dates back to 1856. The original frame building was built on this site and used until 1893. At that time it was sold to the Anglican Church and moved a short distance north to be used as the Parish Hall. The structure seen in this photo (from 1996) was designed in the Romanesque style by Siddell Baker Architects in Toronto. It was constructed in 1893 for $5,000 by local builder Dougald (George) MacDonald. George was able to do short-hand blueprints and he was also the Sunday school teacher. The church pipe organ was installed in 1915 (with a portion of it funded by the Carnegie Foundation). A seven-foot section of interior, cornice molding fell off and crashed through some front seating and the floor and landed in the basement in 1937. It was rediscovered years later in George MacDonald’s barn.
The 1½-storey building had a modified, cruciform plan with an apse, narthex, and square and polygonal entrance towers. There was a steeply-pitched, gable roof with pyramidal and polygonal roofs on the towers. This structure was a complex massing of heavy, simple forms, each of which had a clear function. The main entrance was through a large, round-arched doorway with a crescent-shaped transom light and a heavy, panelled, wood door. It was set into a high, square tower at the southeast corner of the church and it marked the site as a landmark within the town. Tall, narrow, window openings had thin windows with a vertical emphasis. Some secondary windows were set in rectangular openings (but with the same narrow proportions). Windows having round-arched openings of various sizes in groups, and as singles, lit the nave. The simplicity of this church and the lack of typical Romanesque Revival details such as heavy, stone stringcourses and lintels gave the church a Norman feel with its squared tower and massive walls. Square pinnacles topped the four corners of the entrance tower. The building had masonry construction with brick cladding and a cut-stone foundation. Len Saint, a local stone mason and brick layer, did the plastering for the church. There were metal panels on the steeple and tower roofs. According to the 2000 inventory, the church was in excellent condition with many original features.
The congregation moved to St. John’s Presbyterian Church which was located on the Middleton Sideroad (circa 2004). Trinity Anglican Church purchased the old Presbyterian Church building and land in 2004 and the building was demolished in 2005 to provide additional parking for the congregation of Trinity Anglican Church. (1, 3, 4, Trinity Anglican Church Bradford website)

George Jackson

A Heritage Moment - Trinity Anglican Church, Bond Head

Description : On the north side of the 7th Line, about 1 km. west of Bond Head, there is a metre-high cairn in the fence line, that marks the location of the home and church built by the Rev. Featherstone Osler in the late 1830s. The frame church, that would become Trinity Anglican Church in Bond Head, was initially planned a lecture base for divinity students, church school, and centre for baptisms and marriages. It was during this time, that four sons were born to the Oslers - Feathersone, Britton, Edmund and William. The two elder sons became lawyers of note, Edmund a banker, and William, a doctor who was knighted for his service to his fellow man, and whose work changed the nature of medical practice and diagnosis. A number of medical facilities in Ontario have been named in honour of Sir William Osler, and at Trinity Anglican Church today, a memorial window and brass plaque are of great interest to the members of the medical profession who come from all over the world to visit the birthplace of this leader of their chosen profession. The Osler timber-frame country church, with its stucco coating, was moved in September of 1885 from the 7th Line to the top of the hill, at the northwest corner of Bond Head. It was rollered down the rural road in sections, reassembled, then given a veneer of brick and a new steeple. New oak pews were installed, and the interior was trimmed in oak. Much of the original interior and exterior still survive, including items used by Rev. Osler himself. On December 20th, 1885, Rev. Osler travelled from his Dundas charge to officially open the renovated church in its new location. Recently, Dr. Watters, a local resident and retired surgeon, speaking to the Bradford West Gwillimbury Local History Association, stated, "The old Osler church built and preached in by the Reverend Featherstone Osler, home to his astonishing family, is a piece of Canadian history of interest around the world. We must find some way to preserve the Osler church as part of that character, and as a reminder of the kind of people who began it."

Bradford West Gwillimbury Times

Agar, William & Treva Edney

Event Date : Saturday, April 22, 1939
Event Type : Marriage

Description : The wedding took place at the Thorton Presbyterian Manse with the Rev. E. G. Robertson officiating. Treva is the fourth daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Edney of Newton Robinson.William is the son of Mr. and Mrs. John Thomas Agar of Cookstown.

Bradford Witness

Amy Young celebrates 80th Birthday with friends

"A surprise party was held in Bond Head Community Hall on Saturday afternoon for Amy Young of Bond Head, formerly of Beeton, on the occasion of her eightieth birthday. Many of her family, neighbours, and friends from near and far, including members of two local bowling clubs, the Women's Institute of Bond Head, the Ladies Orange Lodge of Beeton and members of the local churches, gathered to spend a pleasant social interlude with her and partake of a buffet lunch. She served her guests a piece of delicious birthday cake with George McCague, our local Member of Parliament assisting her. An address was read by Margaret Westlake, a cousin. Shelley Bishop, a niece on behalf of the friends, presented her with an engraved wrist watch as a token of respect and appreciation, and a momentum of the party. George McCague presented her with an emblem pin on behalf of the Ontario government. Mrs. Young thanked her friends for coming and for her gift and expressed her appreciation to the convenors of the party. All departed with happy memories of a pleasant afternoon."

Anglican Church - Holland Landing

A sketch of the Holland Landing Anglican Church as it appeared in the Holland Landing Scope. The caption read: "The Holland Landing Anglican Church is a landmark in that community, as represented here in a sketch by Simon Limbert. The community was officially named in 1821 when the first post office was established. The church was constructed in 1850 from materials taken from an older building.

Annie Velma Stewart Baptismal Gown

On August 20, 1923 Annie Velma Stewart was born to William (Casey) & Annie (nee Harman) Stewart in Bradford, Ontario. This gown was worn by her for her baptism on June 26, 1924 in Bradford, Ontario.

Bill Marks

Atkinson, Hazel obituary

Event Date : Thursday, September 09, 1971
Event Type : Death
Municipality : Brampton, Ont.

Description : After a lengthy illness, Hazel Atkinson of R.R. 3, Schomberg, and a well-known resident of this area, passed away Thursday, Sept. 9 at Peel Memorial Hospital in Brampton. She was born Hazel Jane Lucille Armstrong on Sept. 23, 1895 on the 7th Line of Mono Township, Lot 30, near Rosemont. Her parents were John William Armstrong and his wife, Elizabeth Murphy. Her grandparents were Andrew Murphy and his wife, Frances Little and Robert Armstrong, and his wife, Jane McElroy - all natives of Ireland. Mrs. Atkinson was quite proud of her Irish ancestry. As a girl, Mrs. Atkinson attended School No. 17, Mono Township and later Alliston High School. In religion, she was an Anglican and attended St. Luke's Church, Mulmur Township. After her marriage in 1922 to Leonard Atkinson, they moved to Lot 15, 2nd Concession of Tecumseth Township and three years later to Lot 17, 11th Concession, King Township and in 1945 to Lot 17, 10th Concession, King Township. In later years, she remained in the same area. Her only brother, Oswald, predeceased her in 1953. A son, Wesley, passed away Jan. 29, 1948 and her husband, Leonard passed away March 30, 1956. She leaves the following family: Phyllis (Mrs. Joseph Kerr), R.R. 1, Bolton; Evelyn (Mrs. Hiram Littleton), Bradenton, Florida; Harvey, Bolton; Violet (Mrs. Gordon Troyer), R.R. 1, Woodbridge; Risdon and Roy of R.R. 3, Schomberg. Also there are 16 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren. She rested at Egan's Funeral Home, Bolton until Sunday at 2:30. Funeral service was conducted by Rev. Bob Leckey, Anglican minister, Bolton. Burial took place at Laurel Hill Cemetery, Bolton. Pallbearers were her nephews: Lloyd Armstrong, Joe Maw, Ben Parr, Ross Atkinson, Ed Hebor, and Bill Clark. Flower bearers were Harold Fuller, Stan McGill, Jim Connell and Art Richards. It was a largely-attended funeral with friends and relatives coming from as far away as Windsor and North Bay to pay their respects.

Bradford Witness

Results 1 to 10 of 88