"The official opening of the new wing of the Simcoe Manor in Beeton will be held Wednesday, June 4. The new wing will have 100 beds, a library, boardroom, married quarters, barber shop, billiard room, beauty shop, craft room, auditorium, chapel, greenhouse and therapeutic pool. The wing, which cost over one and a half million dollars will also be used for those who have suffered from strokes and arthritis. The therapy will include messages, heat treatments, and exercises with parallel bars and exercise machines. The new auditorium will hold 200 people and if that is not enough room, the chapel will open to accommodate more. Simcoe Manor was originally opened in 1898 and was called the "House of Refuge". It was a place for transient people as well as those who were not able to take care of themselves and with no one who could take care of them. At that time, the institution had 250 acres of farm land that was worked by those who resided at the "House". In 1952 an addition was built and the name was changed from "House of Refuge" to Simcoe Manor as it is known today. Past conceptions of the building locally known as the "poor house" to the present image as a home for the aged. Now it is a Senior Citizen's Home. The present wing was started in 1973 although it was planned in the early 1970's. The original building was demolished to make room for the new building. Gone with the old section are the old images. Under the management of Ed Boynton, 65 full and part-time staff take care of the 125 residents. Also there for the senior citizens are four new color televisions as well as the new facilities."