Village Inn



Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Village Inn

BT Inns

Village Inn

Equivalent terms

Village Inn

Associated terms

Village Inn

12 Archival description results for Village Inn

12 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

2 Holland Street East - The Village Inn

The Village Inn is located at 2 Holland St. East (on the corner of Holland and Simcoe Streets). There had been a hotel located at this site before the great fire of 1871. The building in this photo (1995) was built in 1920 in the Ontario Vernacular style. The original two-storey, cement building contained living quarters upstairs. One of the early inhabitants was Dave Watson, a farmer from the Scotch Settlement. He was one of the first to work with Professor Day in bringing about the drainage of the Holland Marsh. The ground floor was a grocery store in the early 1930’s (or before it was bought by Jim Gray and his wife). It was separated by a central entrance downstairs.
Ken Morris bought the building around 1933 or 1934. Renovations were done by Art and Len Saint in 1937. The building was converted into the English Tudor-style hotel currently known as “The Village Inn”. A one-storey addition was added later (on the east side of the building) to contain a restaurant and ladies’ room. Under Jack Pong’s ownership, the addition became a Chinese restaurant. Additions were built later at the rear. Frank Sakowski ran the Inn for a while before it was sold to Bill Callum and Mr. Grant.
The two-storey building has a wide, rectangular plan with an asymmetrical organization and a typical ‘Main Street’, storefront façade located at the street line. It is characterized by a high, flat, ‘boomtown’ façade and cornice with brick dentils. The prominent, corner entrance door is oriented diagonally toward the street intersection. Existing door and storefronts are not original. The upper-floor pairs of windows suggest some original Italianate styling. The windows are not original on either level. At the time of the 2000 inventory, the building had masonry construction, stucco and wood siding, and a built-up, tar and gravel roof. It notes that the modest, commercial building is in fair condition with no original details visible. (1, 2, 3)

George Jackson

Buildings & Architecure A-E

Contains articles and clippings related to the buildings and architecture of Bradford West Gwillimbury, from A - E

Joe Saint

Buildings & Architecure L-Z

Contains articles and clippings related to the buildings and architecture of Bradford West Gwillimbury, from L-Z

Joe Saint

Cameras, action on streets of Bradford

"For those of you wondering about the new real estate office, bank and newspaper in town, (and why they're already gone), worry no longer. The film's been shot, the sets have been struck and the actors have all gone home. But for three days last week, Bradford was transformed to the sleepy town of Hope Springs by means of movie magic." ...

Bradford West Gwillimbury Times

Holland Street - 1930s

Photograph of Holland Street looking West. The Holland Theatre and the Village Inn can be seen in the image.

Luanne Campbell Edwards

Mattress Thrown From Hotel Window Ends Fire

"Firemen were called to The Village Inn about 10 a.m. on Sunday when fire was discovered in one of the bedrooms about two hours after the occupant of the room on the previous night had left the building. The mattress on the bed and the bedding, were burning when firemen entered and these were thrown from a window, thus ending the smoke in the building. It is supposed that a cigarette was the source of the fire."

Bradford Witness

Morris, Bertha Victoria Campbell obituary

Event Date : Friday, October 16, 1959
Event Type : Death

Description : Suddenly at her home, 64 St. Clair Ave. W., Toronto, in her sleep. Wife of the late Kenneth M. Morris, who predeceased her by several years. Mother of Kenneth C., Mount Forest, and Robert, Toronto. Lived with her son Robert, a student at Toronto University. With her husband, had built and operated the Riverview Inn for a number of years before it was sold, after which it was destroyed by a fire. They then built the Village Inn, which they operated for several years. Rested at the funeral chapel of A.W. Miles, 30 St. Clair Ave. W. Service held to the Toronto Necropolis.

Bradford Witness

Morris, Kenneth McRae obituary

Event Date : Wednesday, May 19, 1954
Event Type : Death

Description : Death came with startling suddenness to Kenneth M. Morris, former well-known Bradford man, at St. Joseph's Hospital, Hamilton, on Wednesday last, May 19, following a stroke.The late Mr. Morris was born in Bradford in 1889, the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Morris of Bradford. He attended Bradford schools and in early life went into the line of business he continued in most successfully during his lifetime, that of restaurant and hotel operation.Known locally as Ken" Morris the deceased built the first Riverview Inn building at Bradford. After building up this business he sold it and bought the site of property formerly owned by his grandfather on which he built The Village Inn. Selling this in 1941 he was in Barrie for a time then Bracebridge where he owned a restaurant and a hotel before going to Hamilton where he was operating a hotel at the time of his death. Mr. Morris is survived by his wife the former Bertha Campbell and two sons Kenneth of Hamilton and Robert attending University of Toronto; also by three brothers Rex, Max and Merle and two sisters Mrs. Thelma McDonald of Beeton and Mrs. Challie Brown of Corpus Christi. Two brothers predeceased him Job and Benson (Pat).The funeral was held in Toronto on Saturday with interment in Alliston.

Bradford Witness

Old town of Bradford... Getting a new look

Article about the renovations at the Edmanson Hotel (71-73 Holland St East), the Village Inn (2 Holland St East), and the new South Division Police Station (75 Melbourne Drive).

Bradford West Gwillimbury Times

The Village Inn

Photograph of the Village Inn Hotel on the southeast corner of Holland Street and Simcoe Road. The Village Inn exterior was renovated in the 2000s, and has been in operation since the early 1900s.

Results 1 to 10 of 12