Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library Archives

Pièce 2017-03-24-02 - 2 Holland Street East - The Village Inn

Zone d'identification

Code de référence

CA BWGPL GJ-HB-2017-03-24-02

Intitulé

2 Holland Street East - The Village Inn

Date(s)

  • 1995 (Production)

Niveau de description

Pièce

Importance matérielle et support

Photograph

Zone du contexte

Nom du producteur

George Jackson

Notice biographique

Nom du producteur

Janice Hopkins

Notice biographique

Nom du producteur

Joe Saint

Notice biographique

Nom du producteur

Gillian Haley

Notice biographique

Nom du producteur

Nancy Smith

Notice biographique

Histoire archivistique

Modalités d'entrée

Zone du contenu et de la structure

Présentation du contenu

The Village Inn is located at 2 Holland St. East (on the corner of Holland and Simcoe Streets). There had been a hotel located at this site before the great fire of 1871. The building in this photo (1995) was built in 1920 in the Ontario Vernacular style. The original two-storey, cement building contained living quarters upstairs. One of the early inhabitants was Dave Watson, a farmer from the Scotch Settlement. He was one of the first to work with Professor Day in bringing about the drainage of the Holland Marsh. The ground floor was a grocery store in the early 1930’s (or before it was bought by Jim Gray and his wife). It was separated by a central entrance downstairs.
Ken Morris bought the building around 1933 or 1934. Renovations were done by Art and Len Saint in 1937. The building was converted into the English Tudor-style hotel currently known as “The Village Inn”. A one-storey addition was added later (on the east side of the building) to contain a restaurant and ladies’ room. Under Jack Pong’s ownership, the addition became a Chinese restaurant. Additions were built later at the rear. Frank Sakowski ran the Inn for a while before it was sold to Bill Callum and Mr. Grant.
The two-storey building has a wide, rectangular plan with an asymmetrical organization and a typical ‘Main Street’, storefront façade located at the street line. It is characterized by a high, flat, ‘boomtown’ façade and cornice with brick dentils. The prominent, corner entrance door is oriented diagonally toward the street intersection. Existing door and storefronts are not original. The upper-floor pairs of windows suggest some original Italianate styling. The windows are not original on either level. At the time of the 2000 inventory, the building had masonry construction, stucco and wood siding, and a built-up, tar and gravel roof. It notes that the modest, commercial building is in fair condition with no original details visible. (1, 2, 3)

Évaluation, élimination et calendrier de conservation

Accroissements

Mode de classement

Zone des conditions d'accès et d'utilisation

Conditions d’accès

Conditions de reproduction

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Notes sur la langue et l'écriture

Caractéristiques matérielle et contraintes techniques

Instruments de recherche

Zone des sources complémentaires

Existence et lieu de conservation des originaux

HE 02

Existence et lieu de conservation des copies

Unités de description associées

Related descriptions

Zone des notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Points d'accès

Points d'accès Noms

Zone du contrôle de la description

Identifiant de la description

Identifiant du service responsable de la description

Règles et/ou conventions utilisées

Niveau d'élaboration

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision, de suppression

Langue(s)

Écriture(s)

Sources

Métadonnées de l'objet numérique

Type de support

Image

Type MIME

image/jpeg

Zone des droits sur l'objet numérique (Matrice)

Zone des droits sur l'objet numérique (Référence)

Zone des droits sur l'objet numérique (Imagette)

Zone des entrées

Personnes et organismes en relation